Dropping motor with 4 post lift.

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
This is not a debate if 2 post vs 4 post first of all. My lift will be for storage as well. My question is....has anyone ever tried dropping motor, trans and k-frame with a 4 post lift (mine is a bend-pak hd9). I did spring for the RJ-45 rolling jack FYI.

I have some front frame casters to support the front end once the suspension is removed. I may need to adjust the castor’s height though. My lift is plenty wide between the lift runways for the kframe to pass through with the engine and tranny.

Anyone with experience doing it this way I’d appreciate comments.

Mine is just 4 feet between decks.
I guess with no control arms it would slip through. No reason you cant.
I had considered hanging vehicles off the end and trying it that way, mostly for fwd vehicles.
I get by with doing everything through the top.

Last edited:
I would bet it will be CLOSE are the tracks adjustable? If you can fabricate, maybe you can "trim down" the front area of the ramps, but that would require careful thought and "engineering" as well as sound welding techniques.

If it will fit I don't see the problem. You will have to SAFELY block the car under the frame, and likely tie it to the ramps to prevent accidental movement. I built a "really cheap" engine dolly out of 2x2, it goes together "like a receiver hitch." I built it purposly "high" so I can crawl under and undo the trans crossmember, etc

I would bet it will be CLOSE are the tracks adjustable? If you can fabricate, maybe you can "trim down" the front area of the ramps, but that would require careful thought and "engineering" as well as sound welding techniques.

If it will fit I don't see the problem. You will have to SAFELY block the car under the frame, and likely tie it to the ramps to prevent accidental movement. I built a "really cheap" engine dolly out of 2x2, it goes together "like a receiver hitch." I built it purposly "high" so I can crawl under and undo the trans crossmember, etc

The ramps are adjustable which is why I got the bend pak. Many of the others were too narrow. I also go the 3ton jack trays that are adjustable. I can place the frame casters in the jack trays as well.

My lift gets installed Wednesday so I’m stoked.

Shouldn't be a problem. There's a little more in the way compared to a two-post, but there will be plenty of room if you remove the lower control arms first.

-
Back