-
Status
Not open for further replies.

nm9stheham

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a US made 3 legged drum puller for pulling the brake drums off of tapered axle Mopars; needs to be the type with the bar that you hammer on out on the end of the threaded center shaft. Please PM. No foreign made ones please. TNX!

Looking for a US made 3 legged drum puller for pulling the brake drums off of tapered axle Mopars; needs to be the type with the bar that you hammer on out on the end of the threaded center shaft. Please PM. No foreign made ones please. TNX!

Sounds like you are looking for a slide hammer.

I built my own by using the front hub off of a 68 Ford. I used it to remove the hub/drum off a Dana 44 Stude rear end. Simply drive out the bearing races,obtain a very large bolt and nut(inch and a quarter) and weld the nut to the hub. Turn down the face of the ford hub that fits against the Mopar hub so it will fit flush.Turn down the end of the bolt to clear the axle nut threads with a small taper to fit in the axle.
To use it, remove the axle nut and re-install nut on axle (castellated side in) to protect axle threads. Install hub puller on axle loosely with lug nuts. Turn large bolt in by hand until the puller is seated firmly against the lug nuts.There needs to be about a quarter inch gap between puller and hub. Now just tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern as if you are changing a tire. It shouldn't take much tightening before the hub will pop right off.This works simpler and a lot easier than the other style puller. Plus it is harder to damage.

Thanks guys; I know what I am looking for...and yes, it is the OTC type. You don't even think of trying a slide hammer on these; it'll wreck the axle bearings. Just wanting to see if someone in Moparland has one they no longer want/need. I will investigate the design that 48jeep describes; seems good.

I actually got the idea from a Studebaker parts dealer named Chuck's Studebaker Parts. Look under the special tools section on his website and you can view a picture of it as well as instructions in it's use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back