Drum Sizes on a 1973 Scamp?

-

Zbojnik

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I snagged an 8 1/4 rear end for dirt cheap, so it was an excellent upgrade over a 7 1/4. It also has a BBP, which is what I have a set of Rims in. The front drums however are I believe 9" and have the SBP. Do they make drums that feature the BBP but will fit on the smaller drum so I can run all four of the same rims instead of having my two nice one's in the back, and two steel wheels in the front?

you will need to change your front to bbp, and you might as well go with disc brakes when you do.

The 10" front drums use a different spindle than the 9" drums so it is not a simple swap the of the drums and backing plates. They never made a 9" drum with the big bolt pattern.

80% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes and 9" drums are plane not adequate for a car driven on the street in traffic. The car that 8.25 came out of would have had front disk brakes, see if you can get the upper control arms, spindles, caliper brackets, calipers and MC from that car. Use the calipers and MC as cores for rebuilt items from the local parts store and switch to to disk brakes to match those 10 by 2.5" rear drums.

But do they have BBP drums that will fit for now?

Yes there are front drum brakes with the large bolt pattern. The downfall is , you would need to change upper arms and spindles. May as well put disc brakes on it.

-
Back