dual carbs & tunnel ram OR M1 and 850 dp????

-

MR JIM

Reaction score
Here it is.....

Go Tunnelram with dual Holley 450??? Or M1 and 850 dp ???????

Motor : 452 BB with iron heads max port the biggest valves you can fit,solid flat tappet roller rockers ,Msd ect....
Would like some input from the forum..Thanx JIM.

Tunnel ram will make more power if its tuned right,assuming you have the correct gears/drivetrain to back up the engine it will be faster.But,thats the key,tuned right.

Do you guys think the 450's are to small?????

Too small, run a pair of 600 1850s, a well tuned TR will be loads of fun, i've done it twice & loved it, of coarse its all in the tuneing, but once you figure it out, its gravy after that, i even made my own linkage both times out of aluminum plate, heres a start for setting up those 600s, with all that plenum you'll need to set the carbs up over stock.

Weiand "D" shape TR. This is about the "best" street TR out there.

2-1850s, try & get them with the same dash, like 1850-2
Jet them up to 68s in front on both, install 31 squirters on both.
Install the quik change spring kits/pods with balance tube (both carbs)

I also started playing with the jet plates in the rear increasing the size by .002" on both carbs.

This set-up was on a high 10 second 400/451 duster with iron heads, small solid cam, 4.10s & a 4400 stall, still wasn't at its prime with the TR, but damn close, in the dead summer heat it pulled 123.58 MPH, that was up 2 MPH over an M1 with an 850, ran a 10.87 on a slow *** 1.62 60ft. Top end was outstanding, gained right at 24 MPH in the last 660, had tons of fun in that car for 2 yrs. beating up on the other guys lol.

my old eddytunnelramed 340 with two 750proforms(even if the carbs where to big it still ran alot harder than most would ever think, i just used what i had)
meck005.jpg

tunnelram it!
and yeah those 450´s would be way small, i would go for 600´s at least.
a well tuned tunnelram is a very good inductionsystem!
a friend of mine runs a 383chevy with two 500eddycarbs straight out of the box except for the normal teardown and cleanup on a tunnerlram and to be honest that is the sharpest responding "dailydrivable" smallblock i have ever heard!

stroked340: have you ever tried i tunnelram on you car? i bet it would pick up

Hi there Joe Dust..
What did you do with the power valves???Plug them or????????
Thanx JIM.

Hi there Joe Dust..
What did you do with the power valves???Plug them or????????what secondary
vacuum spring did you use????Did you use the balance tube from the front to the back carb to open the secondaries????
Thanx again JIM.

Jim, i bought the "squik change spring" kit, it comes with the plastic covers with access plates to change springs, they have vacuum ports that you connect a hose to each one, this balances them out somewhat so they open together, i would start off with the med.-light springs. On the PVs, i ran 5.5s if i remember, you need to check manifold vacuum "in gear", i think mine were 3 inches below my reading.

-
Back