Dual electric fans, FIRE!

-
you want to run the battery power through the relay to the fans, make sure to run a fuse or breaker. then you can use a 15 amp circuit to run through your toggle switch and out to the relay to turn the relay on and off. its actually easier with an aftermarket harness. i had extra circuits in my ez witing harness, so i just picked a dedicated 15 amp circuit and made that my electric fans circuit.

Maybe it can be simplified as to explanation:

The relay has to handle the load. That means fused power with heavy wire coming in one side and going out the other side to the load.

The toggle switch merely turns the relay on or off. It doesn't handle any load, the load being the fans.

Keep in mind that fan motors can draw a LOT more amperage during start-up than they do at constant run, so make sure you use good HD relays.

Uhhhhhhh...wow....red to battery......yellow to keyed switch from thermostatic dohicky stuck thru fins of radiator brown to other side of that dohicky orange to fan motor and black to body ground and in case of dual fans blue goes to second fan and run additional ground for second fan...if you have a/c green wire to hot side of a/c clutch

Attachments

• cudastuff 015.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 110
Did I steer you wrong? Looky here again, you want "ground on" if you are running 1 hot into the cab.
circuits.jpg

you can use either but the ground on may be a better solution for your aftermarket wiring harness.

In my 67 A-body factory wiring harness, they pulled 12 V positive directly from the alternator batt post. At the relay that wire serves as power to the horns and power to signal the relay. The only fuse in any of it is in the ground side of the relay signal circuit before the horn button.
This works to send ample power to the horns. They will likely blow even if they haven't been activated in years. The contacts in that antique horn relay and the contacts in the column/horn button are a lot more substantial than what we buy today. A bosch relay has a coil in it designed to see a limited amount of current flowing in only one direction. Excessive current and the resistance generates excessive heat inside the relay.
Bottom line, sure there are several ways to wire it, correct and dependable ways, and incorrect keep your fingers crossed ways.
Having said all that, I just changed my stock horn relay to a bosch type and I did wire it up like the factory did with exception. There is a 20 amp fuse in the 12 V supply to the relay. The factory fuse in the signal wire is still in place. I dont real care if the horn fails to blow but when it comes to my headlights / critical stuff...enough said.

Pretty much, but you don't REALLY want to fuse one of those relays with 60A, do ya?

I agree, with a little more work, you can easily incorporate a thermal switch.

Reckon that all depends on how much the max load is. I figured the fans would draw about 50 amps and he would be running dual relays.

Maybe not.

Reckon that all depends on how much the max load is. I figured the fans would draw about 50 amps and he would be running dual relays.

Maybe not.

I was assuming to one relay. Since the relays are, what, 30A rating? you'd have to run individual fuses to each relay, one fan, one relay, or buy a larger relay. "Continuous duty solenoid" comes to mind"

I am running two relays 30a a piece the fans only pull 12.5 amps a piece so combined is 24/25a I figured if I ran a 30a inline fuse from the battery for each relay I should be ok.

I reckon it stands to reason that a load test should be performed on the fans for peak and average. I must admit a single 60 amp fuse was more representative than actual on my diagram. I agree that a pair of fuses before the relays to distribute the load or single fuse before the single relay would be the way to go, sizing the fuse about 20 % over the max load.

Here are some nice goodies that could apply nicely in this situation.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d29.html

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d36_-automotive-relay.html

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d11.html

Normal style and high amp (12vdc) relays and circuit breakers.

These guys are nice.

Most switches that activate relays are simple grounds.

Use the switch to activate the ground side of the relay. Running power to the toggle is more time consuming and more dangerous. Plus with a ground switch, you only need to run 1 wire and no fuse is needed on the toggle, only for the power supply to the relay.

-
Back