Dual exhaust

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Any problems running dual exhaust on a stock 273 in a 66 Valiant. Was wondering if the transmount was lacking clearance on the passenger side and causing it to sit lower than the drivers side? thanks. looking to add a little rumble to the little 273 while cruising.
thx

I run the Hooker Headers on my dart and the passenger side goes under the mount, doesn't make me happy but it works.

I have the duel exhaust on my 66 Dart and I really don't notice it. Doesn't sit too low. So I would think you woul have no problems with it.

I've run duals on mine for the past 26 years and I haven't even put a mark on the passenger side pipe, although it does hang a little lower than the driver's side. While it's down for the resto, I'm going to cut and reweld the passenger side of the mount so it's identical to the driver's side, then the pipes can run the same place on both sides.

We cut the trans mount and rewelded it to give the clearence needed. It worked really well.Not hard to do ,took about 30 minutes. Ed

just thinking outside the box, how about a 3 inch single mandrel bent lead pipe with a walker ultraflo muffler, into a mandrel tail pipe. this is the cat back type system i put on my sons 1998 dakota. it picked it up 5/10s in the 1/4, & sounded great, better than alot of duel exh. if you go to the walker dynomax web site www.dynomax.com click on sounds. with no more motor than your planning to use this may be a great alternative.

cool sounds good to me. I'll check the Layson's get up. Rewelding the trans mount sounds like it worked well. Did you use .125 steel for the trans mount?

I used the same guage metal as the mount. This is all that laysons does and they bang you for over a hundred beans for it.A local welding shop could do it for you if you cant and it would still be cheaper than laysons.

My '65 Barracuda S came stock with a 2 1/2" single exhaust. I plan to redo my exhaust and stick with the single exhaust (also because I have a cutout at the back for the resonator, and dual resonators is not an option due to the gas tank location). I will likely go as big as possible, like 3" or whatever, but keep it single.

Neil - 65s

here are hooker headers that are adjusted for the single exhaust tranny mount...
DSCN4567.JPG

I just ran duals right under the hump - had no problems for 10 years...
5-18-05%20008.jpg

DJV - I think I figured it out! The purple car, with the purple oil pan has spitfires, and the red car (red oil pan) has the Hooker fenderwells. and neither one had the trans xmember notched to raise the right exh pipe an inch and a half and it never drags??? Guess my ragtop is riding too low, or the six cylinder t-bars are too soft or _something_! Mine drag on speed bumps. I would still like to see a bit more on your exhaust pipes and cutouts.
Thanks!

Don't buy the one from Layson's you can make your own real easy buy notching out the transmission crossmember. Just weld a patch in to strengthin it back up once you make the notch.

I've had 2 1/2" exhaust systems made to fit 64/75 Barracuadas. I modified the cross-member myself, cut, bend, weld, using as much of the original metal as possible with about a 2" wide peice to fill in.
The last time I put a dual system in myself useing a tti 2 1/2" kit and liked the fit better, also has a cross-over tube. tti web site has deminsions for modifications to the trans cross-member.

Yep,I cut,notched then rewelded my crossmember also.Dave you can do this easy with your skills.It was just to easy to do and saved $$$.Good luck.

Did mine as well. I'll try and get a picture this afternoon.

My '65 Barracuda S came stock with a 2 1/2" single exhaust. I plan to redo my exhaust and stick with the single exhaust (also because I have a cutout at the back for the resonator, and dual resonators is not an option due to the gas tank location). I will likely go as big as possible, like 3" or whatever, but keep it single.

Neil - 65s

thats what I had on my Cuda for a while (same stuff is on my wagon now with a 90* at the end) 2" off stock manifolds into 3" single, one of my hand built mufflers, and a 3"x5.5"x18"long 'megaphone' tip to look like the stock resonator. It sounded pretty nice...

http://www.myspace.com/1966cudaguy/videos/video/28818014

personally, I like singles over duals......lighter weight, less surface area for exhaust to 'rub' agenst, cheaper, easier to make/install, and on early-A's its 'correct'

Now Ive got the stock Y-pipe (I need a new one) and intermediate, another one of my mufflers, and a 2.5" tail pipe with the same tip.

I put duals on my 1964 Dart Gt the whole kit was $285 manifolds to tail pipes from kepish exh and I did redo the trans crossmember

Attachments

• P1000163.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 273
  • P1000161.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 252
  • P1000162.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 257
-
Back