Dual quad manifold

-

A-Body Bruce

Reaction score
I have a 318 in my 1974 Valiant which has been balanced.healthy comp. cam,long tube Hooker headers,2500 stall speed converter,Wiend 4-barrel intake,600cfm Edelbrock. Does anybody make a dual quad manifold that will accept 2 small cfm carbs? for this engine?

There are three dual quad manifolds that I am aware of.
First one would be tunnel ram, second one was from Edelbrock™, one in front and one behind it. Last one is an extremely rare Edelbrock™ Cross ram like on the hemis. Good luck in your search.

Offenhauser makes a dual quad for small blocks and I think Weiand does as well. If anybody has one in stock, it would be Speedway Motors or Summit.

I have the Offy intake on the '74 Cuda with a mildly built 360. It has 2 650 Edelbrocks on it. It works great but you need to do some homework to get the linkage and tuning right. You can use any carter based carbs as small of CFM as you can get. Holleys won't fit.

Attachments

• smcudaengine_zps3216b336.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,277
I run two 500 Carters on my 340 with an old Eddy D-64 intake for use with the 273. The ports are small 273/318 size but bolts on fine and works just great.

Personally I never go back to a single holley unless I was bucks down. Engine idles great and gets good mpg while driven light and still packs a punch WOT.

Has smoother-more even throttle response, linkage is 1 to 1 and both air doors removed on the secondaries

Attachments

• Toronto 8 - 2012 007.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,217
There are three dual quad manifolds that I am aware of.
First one would be tunnel ram, second one was from Edelbrock™, one in front and one behind it. Last one is an extremely rare Edelbrock™ Cross ram like on the hemis. Good luck in your search.
id like to know where to find a cross ram intake!!

I have a 318 in my 1974 Valiant which has been balanced.healthy comp. cam,long tube Hooker headers,2500 stall speed converter,Wiend 4-barrel intake,600cfm Edelbrock. Does anybody make a dual quad manifold that will accept 2 small cfm carbs? for this engine?
edelbrock street tunnel ram,and top it with 390 cfm holleys.

Go to YouTube and do a search with my screen name, rumblefish360 and look at my videos for the dualquad. It is a 360 W/2-600 AFB's on a D-64 modified intake from Edelbrock.
Excellent!

LOL, ya could have fix it for me Waggs. ROFLMAO

CUDACHICK would call me a dish.

Ran this setup for a year or two, turned some heads but I think a single carb works better for me. Weiand and two holleys, the throttle linkage was from Jegs

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Tunnel rams can be a pain to run on the street from what I heard. Those like 4,000 stall and 5 something gears.

But then I heard dual quads aren't so great, so maybe its just how they are tuned ?

Edelbrock STR12 340 crossram manifold....is it really worth 2400 bucks???

NO

Yeah its the only way to run dual holleys without going to a tunnel ram but no way is it worth close to $2,400

I seen one go for $1,500 around 5--7 years ago, thought that price was crazy.

I paid around $350 for my Eddy D-64 dual intake

Tunnel rams can be a pain to run on the street from what I heard. Those like 4,000 stall and 5 something gears.

But then I heard dual quads aren't so great, so maybe its just how they are tuned ?
half correct.the wrong tunnel ram with two 600 cfm carbs ,stock stall, and a crappy tune will be a dog.but a t-ram with a small plenum , long thin runners,and small carbs runs great on the street.yes its all in the tuning.

I have the Offenhauser, D66, and Edelbrock street tunnel ram.
As mentioned, Weiand has a tunnel ram and then there is the $2500 STR-12 (which consistantly goes for around this price everytime I have seen them for the past five years).

I don't like the way the Offenhauser's runner's look like (flow with a huge bend in the runner), the D66 are shaped better (but no air gap), & the Street tunnel ram has been made to perform without any loss of torque in the Hotrod magazine and performance book.

I bought a set of (2) 400cfm carter's, two holley 390 vacuum carbs, and two holley 450's that i plan on trying out on my small block build-on a dyno (and sharing with everyone if people are interested). I also am going to try the Edelbrock air gap and the chinese imitation (came with a motor purchase) to see what work's best.

Most of the time, I think you can get as good, if not better perrormance from a well tuned four barrel (check out S.A.M.'s latest chevy dyno wonder in the mag's), but engineer David Vizard has over three books with references to multi carb induction.

How to build horsepower (Parts 1 & 2- two books), a different revamp of volume one, and chevy small block and big block build up books that utilize multi carb setup's. When he refer's to the more exotic setup's with SU, Weber, Predator, carb's, he had a lot of praise for the FULL-RANGE-performance of one carb-per-cylinder. He also has a how- to -port your own heads book out as well.

Between the port book and the revamped how-to horsepower book he gives stats on a chevy 355 that his student built. This single four barrel motor idled at either 900 or 650rpm (can't remember/am at work), ran up to 8000rpm, is quoted as making 584hp, had a wood spacer, and 10 to 1 compression.

So I think dual quad's is usually stylish preference vice performance advantage. The engine master's motors usually run dual quad's-but are not street motors, and usually are often big block engines.
What the other guy said about experiencing smooth idle and smooth operation through out the RPM band while using dual quad's is what Vizard's tests demonstrated with the multi carb setup. (which is why I wanna try it)

Many of the experienced people here have setp up their COMBINATIONS to run (idle, smooth op thru out RPM band, top end) very well with just one four barrel carberator.

I would love to see a two four setup with twin Holley Street Avanger 570 carbs. It would have the look of an old school drag race setup with big carbs but with the carbs being 570 CFM it would be very streetable if tuned properly. JMO

I am thinking about going with Indy's Mod Man intake on my 408. Two 500 cfm Edelbrock carbs and progressive linkage for around $1100.

FxCam_1359060780544.jpg

I have a low rise Offenhouser for a small block that works with edelbrock carbs sitting front to rear and would possibly be willing to trade for a good single four idle to 6000 intake.

-
Back