Dual Snorkel Hood Scoops

-

DueceDuster

Reaction score
IMG_0081.JPG
I bought a new Demon 340 in 72. Shortly after I bought it I went to the local Dodge dealer parts dept. and ordered a Dual Snorkel Hood Scoop, had it painted and put it on the car. I must have seen another new Demon with one to have known to get one. I forget the reason why.
My question is, when was the first year this scoop was offered as a factory option? Also was it first available on the Dodge Demon? When did it become available on the Duster?

It was first offered on a 72 demon. Never on a Duster. The direct connection chassis manual recommends this scoop and the T/A challenger scoop as the best scoop for induction on a Bracket car. That is why you see them being used on different cars.

The 73 Dart Sport was also available with this same scoop. But the under side which unscrews is different then the Demon . This is the scoop that bolts on the Duster or any car with a ribbed hood without modification. The Demon scoop will only fit a flat hood as is.

Many cars back in the day had these scoops installed. Ford's , Chevy,s and other Mopars for a cool forced induction intake charge. It was on the big end where it would start to work but only if it was sealed to the air horn on the carb. Sort of like a low boost at high speed.

There was an article back then on how to seal it with factory mopar parts. using two air breather lids . I did a couple. Now because of the higher intake I just seal a made housing to the hood and use a filtered lid. the aluminum air cleaner housing in the pics. fits tight to the hood. It rubbed some paint off but with steel mounts it works good .

The other way was to mount the another lid to the hood with the center cut out. you would connect it with the trim from the interior in front of the rear door panel. You would seal it with mini van door rubber to the base mounted on the motor when you close the hood . This would allow rubber motor mounts. The white duster is how the engine part was . I don't have a pic of the hood . I do have the article somewhere . It does work on the big end. I ran it with and without it being sealed. There was a ET difference for the better. The faster the car went the more effect it had. Did very little in the 1/8 . But the 1/4 was a different story. Also cruising at High speeds there was a noticeable gain in power.

DSCF0008.JPG

spoiler pics 661.jpg

Steve 065.JPG

spoiler pics 205.jpg

Last edited:
They look awesome on the Demon, or any year Duster in my opinion! Funny I just seen this post, last Friday I pulled into the local gas station to grab a few beers and 2 kids roll in, in a piece of crap early 90’s F250 with one of those scoops on it. I asked the guy driving where he got it and he said off a car at the junkyard! WTF I offered to buy it he said if he decides to get rid of it he’d call me , I gave him my number lol

I think without it this NOS car would have went around me. Its like a shot of juice at the end without a bottle. Even a /6 car would benefit on the highway. Nothing wrong with a little ram air.
To big of a scoop hurts the aerodynamics more than the gain of the ram air. One of the reasons why Hemi scoops don't work as well. They hold back the car back like a para-shoot. But they look cool as do the six pack style.

68 Hemi large opening, 69 six pack had a riser off the hood but still to big. 70 almost perfected on the T/A. The Air grabber had no effect until 100 and above. 71 Plumouth Pointed the air grabber to grab air off the bubble. looked cool but didn't work any better. 72 Dodge perfected the scoop but never sealed it to the carb. The direct connection Chassis manual addresses this style scoop as the best for forced air induction. That is why I put it on the Duster.

I am old school and those manuals were my Bible.

I always liked em for the looks, glad to read that they are very effective like that. We used to call em the double demon scoop. Prob because of the 2 air intakes, and seeing them on demons back then. Didnt know that ford and chevy racers used em as well. Kinda figured anything mopar was shunned by those guys back then.

They look awesome on the Demon, or any year Duster in my opinion! Funny I just seen this post, last Friday I pulled into the local gas station to grab a few beers and 2 kids roll in, in a piece of crap early 90’s F250 with one of those scoops on it. I asked the guy driving where he got it and he said off a car at the junkyard! WTF I offered to buy it he said if he decides to get rid of it he’d call me , I gave him my number lol

did you happen to go to the junkyard to check out what else might be there?

IMG_0015.JPG
It was first offered on a 72 demon. Never on a Duster. The direct connection chassis manual recommends this scoop and the T/A challenger scoop as the best scoop for induction on a Bracket car. That is why you see them being used on different cars.

The 73 Dart Sport was also available with this same scoop. But the under side which unscrews is different then the Demon . This is the scoop that bolts on the Duster or any car with a ribbed hood without modification. The Demon scoop will only fit a flat hood as is.

Many cars back in the day had these scoops installed. Ford's , Chevy,s and other Mopars for a cool forced induction intake charge. It was on the big end where it would start to work but only if it was sealed to the air horn on the carb. Sort of like a low boost at high speed.

There was an article back then on how to seal it with factory mopar parts. using two air breather lids . I did a couple. Now because of the higher intake I just seal a made housing to the hood and use a filtered lid. the aluminum air cleaner housing in the pics. fits tight to the hood. It rubbed some paint off but with steel mounts it works good .

The other way was to mount the another lid to the hood with the center cut out. you would connect it with the trim from the interior in front of the rear door panel. You would seal it with mini van door rubber to the base mounted on the motor when you close the hood . This would allow rubber motor mounts. The white duster is how the engine part was . I don't have a pic of the hood . I do have the article somewhere . It does work on the big end. I ran it with and without it being sealed. There was a ET difference for the better. The faster the car went the more effect it had. Did very little in the 1/8 . But the 1/4 was a different story. Also cruising at High speeds there was a noticeable gain in power.

View attachment 1715155934

View attachment 1715155935

View attachment 1715155936

View attachment 1715155937
Thank you so much for the information. I have an AAR scoop like that on my 72 Duster and a 76 Dart Sport. I also had a 74 Dart Sport 360 in 1975 that had that scoop from the factory.

I always liked em for the looks, glad to read that they are very effective like that. We used to call em the double demon scoop. Prob because of the 2 air intakes, and seeing them on demons back then. Didnt know that ford and chevy racers used em as well. Kinda figured anything mopar was shunned by those guys back then.

There was a 66 chevelle conv. that had one on it in the 80's. I still see that car today.

Even after changing hands several times. It still has the scoop on it.

I talked to him and tried to buy it. even offered him another hood. No way he loves looking out over the scoop.

He was in other Chevelle's even SS's and he said that his scoop is much nicer. I had a hard time convincing him it was a mopar scoop. and I still don't think he believed me. There was no opening under the scoop it was an ornament. And he was proud of it.

Wow, now thats funny. Cool story. I'm looking for a dart sport one for my sons 69 barracuda. Never liked the formula S double fake scoops.

did you happen to go to the junkyard to check out what else might be there?

Yeah it’s about a mile from my house, I go out there pretty often, I seen the car they pulled it off of, a 73 Dart sport . It had been a couple months since I’d been there so it obviously came in this winter and I missed it

It was first offered on a 72 demon. Never on a Duster. The direct connection chassis manual recommends this scoop and the T/A challenger scoop as the best scoop for induction on a Bracket car. That is why you see them being used on different cars.y cars back in the day had these scoops installed. Ford's , Chevy,s and other Mopars for a cool forced induction intake charge. It was on the big end where it would start to work but only if it was sealed to the air horn on the carb. Sort of like a low boost at high speed. QUOTE

Back in the late 70's Tom Hoover (father of the hemi) had a 69 'cuda notch that was originally a factory 440 car. He converted it to a W2 headed smallblock and was a 12 second car in street trim. It was blue and had the Dart version of this scoop. It says a lot that he picked this scoop. The Ramchargers/Direct Connection engineers did their homework on this one.

There were 2 versions, one was profiled on the bottom to fit the ribbed Duster hood and the other fit the peaked hood 73-76 Darts. The Dart version also fits the beaked 69 Barracuda hood. I've seen both.

I too see them on non-Mopar cars and trucks and it looks weird to me.

I just love the looks of them, that's why i have one on my '74 Dart Sport.
They just look mean...........
I got mine off of a '74 360 Dart Sport i parted out years ago. (the car was extremely rusty)
And they never offered them from the factory on Dusters, even though they look good with them.
Only on '72 Demons, and '73 to '75 Dart Sports. (at least here in Canada)
Too bad they weren't really functional in those years with the two small 4''holes in the hood............

20140610_48.JPG

I just purchased on of these for my 74 Duster, it did not come with any mounting instructions, anyone have the fitment dimensions on the hood

I will prob buy an aftermarket one. And leave the oem ones to the resto guys.

Last edited:
@pettybludart has one on his 66. I like the look on the early A's too. It must work well. He clicks off 10:70's at a
buck 25 with a 360 based stroker.
11863510_10154017179694918_8293790126202598245_n.jpg
008 (Copy).JPG

They look cool for sure, but if you have a hole in the hood, it will let in some air and heat OUT especially if the carb is not sealed to the hood, right?? Might help some of the guys that are always crying about their engine runs hot!

They look cool for sure, but if you have a hole in the hood, it will let in some air and heat OUT especially if the carb is not sealed to the hood, right?? Might help some of the guys that are always crying about their engine runs hot!

I think you're right on here...but I'd have to guess that we're better off sealing the carb to the scoop to let the fresh air in and finding other ways to vent the engine bay pressure. :D

View attachment 1715155986
Thank you so much for the information. I have an AAR scoop like that on my 72 Duster and a 76 Dart Sport. I also had a 74 Dart Sport 360 in 1975 that had that scoop from the factory.

I know this is an old post...any background info or more pics of your old Dart Sport? That thing looks mean!

Non functional scoops make me want to puke.

If your hot engine compartment bothers you, the fender scoops from a Pontiac firebird work well. A friend has them on his '85 D150 :-D

I got lucky and found one on a c body hood. Guy was closing his shop and selling off a bunch of random stuff. Bought the whole hood for $40

I took the 67 GTX ones off my 66 Sat. Non functional. Grrrrr

Those are one of the few "fake scoop" designs that I love...probably because of my ridiculous bias to love anything to do with a '67 GTX. :D

The '66-'67 Plymouth Belvedere/Satellite body is a very formal, clean, chiseled looking shape. Those scoops (along with a few other slick GTX specific styling elements) are just so subtle and understated...yet they do the job of conveying that there's a monster under the hood without showing off or being tacky.

The '66 Hemi Belvederes, wicked performance cars by every measure, were total plain jane looking sleepers. Some probably prefer that. To me, they're just a bit too serious in the styling department.

-
Back