Dumb stories ,about your first car...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Mine was a 69 Cougar,351w /FMX /9" rear end. The only mods I ever did : A ZZ Top bumper sticker(hey,it's '83...lol), A aftermarket steering wheel,& one of those chrome low profile air cleaners,with the foam that catches on fire.
Dad was driving,didn't have my license yet. Had timing issues, backfiring through the carb. Dad gets whizzed by the popping up a hill ,hammers the throttle. (No air cleaner lid,screwing with it).Of course ,it backfires & dies.The hood's paint,starts smoking & turning brown (lol). Put the fire out,& went home.
Woke up after a night ,of Saturday night cruzing. Come out at 9:00 a.m.to wash the car,it's not there. Mom says"Dad took it for a drive..." He comes home aggravated, says nothing during Sunday football. A couple of weeks later, a notice shows up for a speeding ticket,lol...
Share yours.

73 javelin - that poor car!! 304 v8 the burn off's !!! The tickets !!!! THE BURN OFF'S !!!! Those were the days :glasses7: when I sold it to a friend after a couple of years, i told him that you better do a burn off every day or it may not keep running ! And that's a true story.

We'll be here all year

57 Chev Bel Aire moredoor, 265. When I first got it, someone had replaced the generator with the wrong one, and no power steering..........the pump drives off the rear of the generator. I finally found one, and then was immediately chastised by my father, who worked at NAPA. "We have them in stock, all you had to do was buy one."

Anyhow, BEFORE I got the PS going, the thing was of course somewhat hard to steer, what with that mandatory "little bitty" Cal Custom steering wheel 'n all. But it DID spin back to center when released, around a corner.

So, the first time I got that correct generator on, and the pump all hooked back up, I discovered it did NOT self center the steering----you had to "help" it back somewhat.

So a friend of mine 'n I were at "Don's Drive In" and got a milkshake, I went pulling out on the street, shake in my left hand, forgetting it would not "come back." As the damn thing headed for the right side curb, I made a mad grab for the wheel, reaching over and DUMPING THE MILKSHAKE all over the shifter and boot!!!!

4c771fdf6ea75.image.jpg

First car was a 61 falcon I had overhauled the carb, when I was putting the after Market air cleaner back on I dropped a nut and bolt down the carb. Of course I had it running!

Lots of noise before I could get it shut off. Managed to find enough tools to get the head off and found the nut sitting on top of one of the Pistons smashed flat. Put the head back on and headed home only to have the motor start making a whole lot of funny noises.

Took it to my grandad he pulled the head again and found the bolt stuck in one of the valves. Pulled it out and the old girl still ran like a top.
Still have that bolt!

the foam that catches on fire..

I can top that story, LMAO

Late winter or early spring after I reached Miramar, I was tired of the 63 Chev, and found a guy selling a 69 RR, my first Mopar.

Later, I had installed an Edelbrock 180*, with the then obligatory "780 Holley" and headers, and................a pizza pie air filter........the kind that catches the foam on fire.

Now,....................AND THIS is VERY important..............the stud holding it on there is VERY short!!!!!

One day I was down in National City, at a red light, goosed the engine for no good reason, and it "kicked up" on fast idle. **** I said. I mean, I REALLY did say that. So I goosed it some more, and sure enough, for about .00000000025 seconds, it idled normally, again.

THEN..........the engine started making all kinds of horrid noise. This is because one of the intake valves was eating that effin' air cleaner stud!!!!!

I don't remember? Some head work, new piston and rings.....................This was about 1970--71

first time driving my car and i didnt know what power brakes were and i live on a hill. I got out of the driveway and slid the driver side fender that i just got straightend out into a bush. i drove to a empty parking lot to practice driving and check on it and sure enough my fender was crushed.

First car 87' CRX HF, wrenched on it, got it running right, used it for work. Night time, not familiar with the street, ended up turning sharply left from the center lane of a one way street, 35mph, with someone in my blind spot. Turned my B pillar into a V.

That hurt.

Still kept rolling in it for about a year, entering and exiting through the passenger side... Got stolen twice, sold it.

Fun car though. Great fuel mileage!

My first car was a 71 Charger with a 383 magnum. One of my first solo drives was to the gas station. I had to back into the spot at the pump because there was another car fueling at the next station
Trying to be a cool I revved the engine as I attempted to put the car in park. Of course, it was still in reverse. Laid down some rubber and backed over the car behind me.
That poor car (Toyota or Mazda) took some serious damage. I remember the hood had flattened out from the rear end of the charger coming over it. I am sure there was other damage
The section under the rear bumper of my car was dented and that was all
My dad was less than happy and the insurance agent financially sodomized me for the next 2 years until I was able to get different insurance (off my parents plan)
Never crashed that car again (came close a couple of times)

Dad wanted to buy me a K car for my first car. I didn't want to drive it because it was "an old man's car" and I wanted something sportier. Not even for one year and sell it, I still didn't want it.

So I find a 68 Barracuda fastback with 84 k miles for sale. It belonged to an old man in Wisconsin that had owned it since new and finally decided to trade it in on a new car (a K-car to be ironic). The guy had bought it for his teenage son to drive. It had the rust around the pass torsion bar, but he had a local welding shop reinforce it with 1/4" metal so it was good to drive again.

After getting it ready for driving, when his dad went to get the license plates, his son told him that the "car was ugly" and he didn't want to drive it. He wanted to drive an old Hurst. How morbid...

So lucky for me, the kid didn't want the Barracuda, so I ended up getting it for my first car. It had a very clean interior and a 318 with manual steering, column shift, and a bench seat in front.

I loved that car. Drove it all over, including to Florida for spring break in college. Sure was better than driving a K-car...

Dad wanted to buy me a K car for my first car. I didn't want to drive it because it was "an old man's car" and I wanted something sportier. Not even for one year and sell it, I still didn't want it.

So I find a 68 Barracuda fastback with 84 k miles for sale. It belonged to an old man in Wisconsin that had owned it since new and finally decided to trade it in on a new car (a K-car to be ironic). The guy had bought it for his teenage son to drive. It had the rust around the pass torsion bar, but he had a local welding shop reinforce it with 1/4" metal so it was good to drive again.

After getting it ready for driving, when his dad went to get the license plates, his son told him that the "car was ugly" and he didn't want to drive it. He wanted to drive an old Hurst. How morbid...

So lucky for me, the kid didn't want the Barracuda, so I ended up getting it for my first car. It had a very clean interior and a 318 with manual steering, column shift, and a bench seat in front.

I loved that car. Drove it all over, including to Florida for spring break in college. Sure was better than driving a K-car...
Sounds familiar, K.K... Found a 65 fastback 'Stang , for the "on sale " price,(289/3 speed stick) of" 915 ,or best offer..." The family seemed to have an issue , with Mustangs, at the time

1968 Chevelle with a 283 and a two speed power glide trans and I paid 300.00 for it. I got it in like 1980 and i worked on it for a couple years before driving it.

I wanted that cool 70s look with back higher than the front and big 60 series tires and had no way ( young kid with no money)of getting it done the right way. So I jacked it and put muffler clamps around the bottom section of the shock and let it down on the clamps. I got the look I wanted but also got the roughest nastiest ride I had ever felt in Vehicle but I kept driving it anyway.

Then the radiator had a leak that i could not afford to fix the right way so I loaded it up every thing people told me( like pepper and other crap) would make it stop but it did not stop and The trans stopped shifting into drive so now I only had low gear. After a few week or so of driving it in low gear and overheating it finally made its last trip down the road and wen onto the scrap yard.

I thought it was the best/fastest and coolest car ever. But looking back it was a rusty old rotted out SLOW NOT FAST AT ALL piece of junk that was not fit or safe to be on the road.

God i miss that car

1966 Valiant 2 door sedan,170 three on the tree. I paid 16 bucks for it because the owner couldn't figure out why it would over heat.Had a bad water pump,didn't leak but the impeller was stripped off the shaft.That made it free wheel. Anyway, my brother joined the Navy and needed a car, so I gave it to him. He was living in Virginia but got stationed in Florida so several times a month he would drive back and forth for 3 years.A guy ran a red light and T-boned the car.Insurance paid him $1500 to total the car.Not bad for 3 years of service with a 16 dollar investment.

First car I was 13, and it was an early 60's Chrysler Windsor (one with the big fins).
It took me three days by myself to change the trans for another used one and then everything on the car worked as well as driving real nice.
A week later my Dad sold it while I was at school for 300 bucks and I got to see it driving out the driveway and off down the road while I was walking home.

He did ask for forgiveness and told me they really needed the money, so I was ok with it.
I was still pretty bummed for awhile though. :D

Damn, I feel to young to type in this post with some of the cars all of you have mentioned!

My first car was a 1984 Chevy blazer! It could fly, literally! I couldnt tell you how many times I got that thing airborne on back country roads. That thing took a beating and jsut kept going! That is until the lovely 2.8 blew 3 cylinders.

Sorry nothing as fun as you guys

Damn, I feel to young to type in this post with some of the cars all of you have mentioned!

My first car was a 1984 Chevy blazer! It could fly, literally! I couldnt tell you how many times I got that thing airborne on back country roads. That thing took a beating and jsut kept going! That is until the lovely 2.8 blew 3 cylinders.

Sorry nothing as fun as you guys

We had a crapload of fun with motorized toys while I was growing up.
Using our Dads Jeep Overland Wagon while he was a work, to tow an engineless Fiat 850 to the top of the mountains behind our house (it was all national forest then), put on our motorcycle helmets and blast down the mountain over bushes creeks and rocks all the way to the bottom.
Then tow it back up and do it again.
I can't begin to tell you how many times we crawled out of it while it was on it's roof.
When it was winter we used that same Jeep to tow old car and truck hoods up there for everyone to ride them down the hill.
I was the oldest at about 12, so everyone else was close or younger.
Can you imagine 7-8 kids that young taking a 4x4 off into the national forest in the winter by themselves these days?:D

Todays young people have no idea what kids were allowed and capable of doing back then.
I was driving caterpillars and wheeled tractors and my Dads road grader before I was 12.
Not to mention all the trucks cars and other equipment.

Ever seen a four stroke single cylinder Fairbanks Morse engine? (one of my favorite toys back then)
You put a 12ga blank in the hole and put the cap on, then turn the motor over to just past TDC and smack the cap with a hammer to fire off the 12ga round and that would start it turning.
A quick shot of gas in the intake with an oil squirt can and off it went.
Thump,,,Thump,,,Thump,,,Thump up to it's approximate 1,200 RPM max and then fire about every third time the piston came up after that if not under a load.

My first vehicle was a 2 year old '66 A100, got it while a senior in high school. Back then I used to think it was great fun to drive through puddles fast and see how big of a splash I could make.

Also back then my buddies and I were avid race fans. Somehow we got the idea in our heads that wearing our seatbelts was a cool thing to do because racers did.

I was delivering pizzas to make van payments. Late one night on my way out on a run I saw a fair sized puddle that I could go through on my way back.

As I approached the puddle on my way back I sped up to make sure that the water would really fly. I was going about 60 mph when I hit the water. Soon after hitting the water I realized that there was more there than I thought. After getting further into the water I noticed that I had no steering. Under the front of an A100 is a large flat piece of sheet metal for directing air from the grille opening to the radiator. I suspect this metal was acting like a big water ski. About that time I saw that I was aimed straight at a power pole with no control and no way of stopping.

That's when time went into slo mo. I was centered on the pole and hit it pretty hard. The heater box that hangs under the dash was only about 2 inches away from the engine box.

Because I had my belt on I walked away from the crash. I was really mad at myself because I only had the van for a month. But a month later I found another 66 A100 at the same dealer where I got the first one. Had that one 9 months then traded it in for a new 69 Dart.

I love reading these great stories about your first car!!!

We had a family friend that was a used car dealer and he took my dad and me to the original Manhiem auction outside York, PA. I was just about to turn 16 years old in 1979. I found my car...a 72 Duster, 318 on the column with L60's in the back on Aluminum Slots. I was in heaven!!!

One night I'm in the mountains of PA with friends and I see the temp gauge start going up. So, I head for home...probably 6-8 miles. I pulled in the driveway and turned the key off but the motor kept running!!!!!! Woke up my dad and he got a broom handle and stuck it into the fan to shut the car off.

The next day when I went to fill the radiator with water, I discover the freeze plug in the back of the head had rusted through. I bought one of those expanding rubber plugs, put it in, filled the car up with water, and it started right back up!!!

Drove for a year before I got my 74 Dodge Van, but that's another story!!!!!:D

Great stories!
Mine was a 72 mustang 3 spd auto 302 car.
My dad went with me to buy it and the whole time he kept asking me if I was sure about the car. He never did like this particular car and want me to get a 79 cutlass supreme 350 auto car.
Well we got it and I was stoked I had big aspirations. Those aspirations were short lived because we didn't get more than 5 miles when I hit a big *** pot hole and both shock towers collapsed!
Needless to say he wasn't happy and I ended up with that Cutlass. I worked all summer to pay him back. I learned a valuable lesson that day. As an aside that Cutty was great fun! ;) I drove it for two years.

We had a crapload of fun with motorized toys while I was growing up.
Using our Dads Jeep Overland Wagon while he was a work, to tow an engineless Fiat 850 to the top of the mountains behind our house (it was all national forest then), put on our motorcycle helmets and blast down the mountain over bushes creeks and rocks all the way to the bottom.
Then tow it back up and do it again.
I can't begin to tell you how many times we crawled out of it while it was on it's roof.
When it was winter we used that same Jeep to tow old car and truck hoods up there for everyone to ride them down the hill.
I was the oldest at about 12, so everyone else was close or younger.
Can you imagine 7-8 kids that young taking a 4x4 off into the national forest in the winter by themselves these days?:D

Todays young people have no idea what kids were allowed and capable of doing back then.
I was driving caterpillars and wheeled tractors and my Dads road grader before I was 12.
Not to mention all the trucks cars and other equipment.

Ever seen a four stroke single cylinder Fairbanks Morse engine? (one of my favorite toys back then)
You put a 12ga blank in the hole and put the cap on, then turn the motor over to just past TDC and smack the cap with a hammer to fire off the 12ga round and that would start it turning.
A quick shot of gas in the intake with an oil squirt can and off it went.
Thump,,,Thump,,,Thump,,,Thump up to it's approximate 1,200 RPM max and then fire about every third time the piston came up after that if not under a load.

my dad was not around much but loved cars and other toys and we always had many around. we had many field/woods/yard/anything wanted to use them for cars/three wheelers/mini bikes/small buses and many other motorized vehicles.

it was funny that i was approached a few years ago by my cousins husband ( they bought some property from my dad) about a old 69 ford maverick that he found all smashed in the woods. i just laughed and remember the car well because it was our woods car we had in thee mid to late 70s and we smashed it into trees and rolled it over on it roof and it kept on ticking. it had a leak in the oil pan so we drove a stick in it and got used oil from all the local garages to keep it running

The car was not that old but was a junker that my dad crashed then got anew car and gave it to us. we got it going and ran her for like 5 years in the woods

it was all smashed

my first car was a '68 mustang coupe -had a 302, was much better after shoehorning a 351C in. Well, it was better for smoking the tires off through all 3 gears of the C6 , anyways lol.

The hood hinges were shot so I simply removed them and made it a lift-off hood. Well, one time I take off...with the hood not latched... and the front of the hood starts to hover about 6-8" up...I let off (too late) and the hood flips over the roof and I watch it in the mirror as it slams paint-side-down on the road behind me.
It was fine other than some bondo getting knocked loose:D

My first car, 1949 Oldsmobile 2 door coupe, with a 371 CID, six Holley 94 carbs, Isky cam and a 1937 LaSalle transmission. It was a great car. Sure glad gas was only 20 cents a gallon back in the early 1950s.

First car was a 69 caprice I bought for $10. I got it that cheep because half the engine was in the trunk! My mom thought it would be safe. LOL There was rust in the cylinders and the tops of the pistons were badly corroded. My dad and I cleaned it up ( the rust pits in the cylinders were nearly 1/8" deep and the top of 2 pistons were eaten about 1/4" deep!) we got it running with minimal machine work and new gaskets. (no new hard parts other than bearings) I beat the snot out of that poor car. It never ran that good, but it ran!

My brother, 3 sisters and I grew up on a farm 5 miles from town. Our parents always provided us with a car to drive to school and back. But after graduating high school in 1975 I bought my own 1st car, - a 1970 Roadrunner.

It was bronze with a 383/torqueflite. - At 18 I knew very little about cars or what it took to squeeze more power out of them. Al Gore had not invented the internet yet so HOT ROD magazine was the only source I had for information. It was a good mag but I was more into drooling over the pics of the vehicles than actually reading the tech articles. Luckily I formed a friendship with a guy a few years older than I that had gotten into drag racing.

Ray had a '70 Charger with a 383 and whenever he upgraded his engine I would buy his used parts.

I ended up running a 300' duration Crower, a 750 Holley, Appliance Headers, an ACCEL BEI ignition, 11 to 1 compression, and an Offy 360 intake. It may not have been the best combo but the cam was so radical that the bird would shake at the stop lights. The unspent fuel from the exhaust had a tendency to burn your eyes if you idled in one spot too long.

Meanwhile, I picked up a '69 440 SIX-PACK Superbee with a blown engine. I swapped the tranny from it into the Runner. It was a modified 727 that shifted so hard that it would bark the tires every time it changed gear - even if you were idling down the street with your foot off the pedal.

After adding an air grabber hood & roll bar, I had it painted black and then had a custom shop do a yellow/orange flame job on it. I also added a 4.10 Dana and a set of Keystone Klassics.
The car was not that fast, but the image it made going down the street was of one nasty ****. It only ran low 13s but I usually fried the tires leaving the line.

The Road Runner was my first (non-female) love. After about 15 years I parked it at my uncle's farm. I'd gotten married and my 'Lil Red Express was now my main transportation. I couldn't afford to play with it anymore.

Over the next few years my uncle was constantly pestered by guys wanting to buy it. I always said NO. - that is, until one day a tree branch fell on it and damaged the roof. The damage wasn't bad but I realized that if it stayed sitting there, the car would eventually rot away.

A guy that worked at the same place I did had been asking me each day (for months) if I'd sell him the car. I'd always turned him down before but I finally told him I would. BUT. I had conditions. I explained to him that I'd turned down some serious cash on the car because I didn't want to see it disappear.
I told him that I wanted to be able to point the car out to my kids one day and tell them it used to be mine. I'd sell him the car for a measly $150 if he'd agree not to 'flip it' to someone else and if he'd agree to give me first dibs on buying it back if he got in a bind. He agreed.

Two days later he sold it to someone else for a few thousand dollars.

View attachment img004b.jpg

Cool....we all like the memories our First Loved bestowed on us. Its been nearly 20 years.

My first car was a 1974 Duster, 318-904-7.25....Red with spots of grey primer...black bucket seats, console auto.
I found it 6 houses down from my cousin CEVIDICUS, in August 1997.
It was jacked up with Skyjacker air shocks....had 14x6" cragar s/s rims on the front....with 205/70/14s.....and 15x10" cragar s/s rims on the rear with 275/60/15's....the rims were not in the greatest condition, the chrome was peeling on the front rims....the center caps looked like crap on all 4 rims.....the tires didnt match, brand or model on the front....

But HEY...I didnt care..I was 18, in a paid for Mopar....REPresenting....Lol.

On the Maiden voyage after plunking down 15 - $100 dollar bills.....the Cuz and I are cruising it on the backroads....no registration, no insurance...15 minutes from the house...and it is a handful to keep between the yellow lines because the upper/lower control arm bushings are shot, and the tie rod slack isnt helping any.....so when its going straight its not too bad but as soon as you influence some input the Duster would jump left or right.....We are talking about how I need to order a Poly Kit and install it, get some more tires that arent bald on the front, and maybe lower the ***-end and put some Less HUGE tires on the back......we are cruising in a straight away about 50mph when all of a sudden the front end starts really shaking and its starts making this horrible noise in the passenger front wheel well area, we look at each other in horror/fear and all of a sudden its like we hit a BUmp and we see this 7 foot long whurrr of Black Tire tread rip right past my cousins hand/arm on top of the door.....we get the car shut down and pulled over...and get our breath back.
We got out to discover the entire tread had seperated from that bald-*** tire and nothing but steel cords were left, and the sidewalls....& it was still holding AIR ! The tire tread had whipped around and left a black rubber Whack mark on the passenger door....literally 1 inch from where his hand was.

We didnt have a jack, a lugwrench, or a cell phone....or a spare tire for that matter.
We got back in the car, and went 10mph back to the house on back residential streets...

Im not telling the sway bar story......
Or about blowing a headgasket at 120mph....

-
Back