"Dumb" stuff old farts used to do

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
Talking about brakes on my resto thread got me thinking about when I REALLY learned how important stopping is. In the late 60's my friends and I would have late night high speed ( relative ) "road rallies " around the hilly, brick streets of Pittsburgh. It was also when I learned how good a T-bar front suspension is. At South Hills Mall one evening my friend got into a conversation with an off duty PGH cop and the "paddy wagon" Ford vans they drove ( back when the engine was between the front seats ). The cop said with how close the streets were the vans were fine because nothing except a motorcycle could get away from them. Naturally we set out to disprove this. My friend had a 62 Dart and set up the hinged license plate with a selonoid to flip it down with the throw of a switch. Of course your's truly had to ride shotgun. The cop was wrong. I also learned how important seat belts are !

What y'all done ?

Don't look at me, I ain't done nuthin'!8)

7e4f3ba9-1.jpg

Busted both rear shocks off of a 65 Impala out running a guy that was hot after us for no apparent reason:)

Blew thru a STOP sign at 100 which was at the bottom of a blind hill. Whew....lucky day :bootysha:

Disclaimer!! I was the passenger :love7:

this might be about to branch into a " "dumb" stuff that young guns do " thread lol

Street rod shop i used to work at, lunch break, a Ferrari set up for racing, old 2 lane freeway and 168mph.

Out ran a couple of county mounties on Halloween night during a street race and never knew he was chasing us until we had stopped. There was 3 people in each car. We were all out of the cars shooting the S%#t for a couple of minutes when they showed up. Since one group was sitting on the trunk of my Mustang and the other group was sitting on the hood of the Galaxie they had to ask who was driving. I said I was in the 1969 Mustang and the other driver said he was in the Galaxie. We were all 16 year old kids.

Too make this story short, we were arrested and our cars were impounded. They asked us how fast we were going? Our speedos were buried so we said we don't know. They said their certified speedo clocked 130 and we were leaving them. They neglected to read us our rights and realized it on the way to the cop shop. They ended up calling our parents and giving our cars back that night with no tickets and no towing/impound fees. I sold the Mustang about 6 weeks later and bought a 1972 Gran Torino with a 351 in it. That Gran torino was the biggest piece of good looking s%&t I ever owned. Man I wish I still had that 1969 428CJ Mustang fastback.

They ended up calling our parents and giving our cars back that night with no tickets and no towing/impound fees.

Ah, those days ! I got driven home by the cops a couple of times and the worst part was the cop ringing the doorbell and my father opening the door. After I started driving I made sure I didn't get caught. Yep, dumb.
Wouldn't give up the memories for anything. Does that mean I'm still a delinquent ?

My cousin had a drink dispenser rigged in his car. He would fill the windshiled washer reservoir with his favorite libation, and had the hose running into a hole through his dash. A push of the washer button would dispense one shot.

Back when I was too young to know any better . We would race the backroads of Northern california by the light of the full moon with our lights off .Scary stuff.

My dad used to ride with the local sheriff posse. Cops see us leave the last light heading out of town. We see the cops see us and I hammered it. 69 Chevell SS 396 4spd. A few short moments later the cops aren't even in sight. Went right to our hunting camp to finish our beer. Come home about 3 hours later, sneak in the back door, only to find a county cop sitting in the dark at the kitchen table with my dad. Turned out the cop I outran was Dad's riding partner the previous weekend and recognized the car and went straight to my house when he realized he couldn't run me down.

Hey Doug, I was wondering about you, your move and job situation. I posted to you on your page or what ever they call it.
I miss those jokes. Glad to see you back.

Hey Doug, I was wondering about you, your move and job situation. I posted to you on your page or what ever they call it.
I miss those jokes. Glad to see you back.

X2 on all of it! I was just thinking about you a couple days ago and wondering how you were doing. Nice to see that smiling face again. :-D

Oh, and my first car was a '69 Impala 396 4 speed so it's a x2 on this too.

I aint dead

I aint in jail

I aint sayin nuthin more

:-D :-D :-D :-D

I won $86 at a burnout contest one time ----- oh wait it was a $86 ticket for doing a burnout in front of a state patrolman.

I turned my windshield squirters out to the side.... someone was getting a ticket... the ticket-giver got a squirt across the back of the neck.... I got pulled over a bit later... not a good idea... especially with 1/2 pound of herbs in the passenger door....

that was a long time ago though...

its not dumb if you can tell the story lol but... 130 in a pos lebaron wanst very smart in a area 3 people died goin 70 that same month. or doing a burn out in my buddies truck accidently in front of a troopers house. that made for a long adreniline filled run for the border lol

one night, in my first barracuda (1966 formula S) we just got it running and went for a ride on 167. going upwards of 120, I announced I should back out of it cuz they sit radar under the overpass ahead.... we got pulled over for doing "over 10 over"... we were all greasy still from putting the engine in, and I told the officer that I knew I was speeding, that we had just got it running and wanted to go for a ride and open it up to see what it would do. That is why I had chosen that road, long, flat, and straight. She let us go and told me to slow down a bit.

then one time, my parents were out of town.... it was around the 4th of July.... my dad's neighbor came out with an M-60, I came out with a balloon (full of acetylene and oxygen), he came out with am M-80, I came out with a bread bad... he came out with an M-100 (1/4 stick of dynomite) I went ans asked him if I could borrow a garbage bag.... I had a 6' fireball in the middle of the culdesac. A few years ago, my dad told me that the neighbor had complained to him later that I had made the front wall of his house move about 4" when it went off. It was fun though!

all I can say is 02 triumph daytona 955i county highway and my friends 73 nova some one went over 140

Here's one from the category of "young guns & dumb stuff"

My first car was a jeep wrangler and a month after buying it, i had gotten together a lift kit/tires for it. My friend's "first car" was a 78' chevy K10 with a 383 stroker and a big lift/tires that he borrowed from his dad. Technically he was only allowed to drive it around town.

We got the bright idea to go wheeling(legally) out of town. His truck had bald tires from doing burnouts/misc dumb stuff. On the second obstacle he slid off the path and took out a fence at the park. Unseating a tire from its wheel. While he worked on his ride i got the bright idea to splash him and went through a water crossing that was as deep as the fenders. The jeep stalled out after the crossing and we were stranded.(now comes the dumb part)

My friend freaked out and needed to find a tire shop in town. However, 5 people in a single cab truck is a problem. So me and two other volunteered to ride in the bed.(with the heavy unseated wheel&tire and a 40lb come-along winch. The 1 passenger in the cab talked my friend into trying to scaring us, So on our way into town he pushed the truck up to 100mph+ on a road with a lot of small sharp hills. We sat in the back and watched the heavy come-along winch catch air in the bed. The next day my friend told me that all 4 four of the wheel cylinders were shot and the truck could have lost its brakes at any time that day.

Apparently, i'm the only one from the truck bed that remembers that incident as fun. The others freaked.

Sitting around one day and a buddy drives up in (I forget what kind of car) so my and my friend jump in and go for a ride.he said he just picked up the car so i asked him where and he said behind the building down the street.Yep,he stole the damn thing and it couldn't have been 10 min.later we get pulled over by a cop.Well it turns out there's no plate on the friggin car!Hauled down to the cop shop and seperated,me and my buddy fortunately told the same story that we didn't know anything about the car being stolen and they let us off.Didn't see the driver for a while after that.8)

-
Back