Duplicolor Metalcast Paint Review. Surprising results!

-

clinteg

Reaction score
Posted this in my build thread but felt I should share my painting results with the Duplicolor Metalcast "anodized" paint in it's own thread. The anodizing was faded on my CSR water pump which seems to be an issue on them after they age. I found this metalcast paint and was VERY pleased with the results. This was actually recommended by the plating shop who has anodized some parts for me. I was inquiring about re-anodizing the pump and he said that this would be a cheaper route and it looks good when done. Well he was right! The paint is translucent so the surface underneath needs to be prepped and in good shape. I simply sprayed some adhesion promoter to the pump parts (no sanding or polishing or anything). Sprayed 2 light coats of paint per instructions and then a 3rd wet coat. The first 2 coats I was unsure that this would work because it was dull and hazy, but then that 3rd wet coat just made it sing! I was very pleased with the results of this paint and I do recommend.

20140119_195649.jpg

Faded anodizing

20140119_180728.jpg

20140119_180715.jpg

After paint application. Hard to see how nice it really is on this part.

20140119_193744.jpg

On the pump itself I could get a better picture. It looks smooth and has depth to it. I was really impressed.

20140119_193910.jpg

20140119_194615.jpg

Looks great. Wondering if its available in gold color for stock parts

Very impressive for sure, Good job on prep and spaying it :glasses7: :coffee2:

You came up with a good idea. This might be just the ticket for the trunk trim panel on the 66 Dart GT's. Thanks for the tip. tmm

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 552
You came up with a good idea. This might be just the ticket for the trunk trim panel on the 66 Dart GT's. Thanks for the tip. tmm

Yes! My '67 Fury III had a finned trim piece between the tail lights, on Sport Fury's it's red anodized and I wanted that look so I used it and it came out great and held up fine.

Dupli -Color makes a nice product. If that was me,I would hit it with their engine clear..... my .02...

The engine clear helps a little. Best to let it sit a few hours, then apply that stuff in two easy coats. Don't put it over bare aluminum. It has an amber tint to it that looks terrible on llarger areas of white paint or bare metal.

I'm discovering that these not-so-engine enamels outperform the stuff from the cans. Lots of guys using exterior clear on stuff at SEMA and on open engine roadsters.

-
Back