Duster 340 not a muscle car...

-
What was Mopar plannin for the 360? I missed that part of the story...

A lot of people consider a muscle car to be a smaller car with a big block motor of some kind. I lean more towards power than cubic inches. With a 375 HP small block 340, I definitely consider my 69 4 Speed Barracuda to be a muscle car. Especially after my 340 puts an *** whoopin on an ss396, GTO or big block Mustang.

I remember to have read this definition of a muscle-car (but not exactly where...):

Any affordable rear-wheel driven, 2-door US-production car with at least 4 seats, V8 with 4-bbl (at least), dual exhaust of this era (60s - 70s)

I like this definition.:)

The Duster 340 is a compact muscle car like the Nova SS.
Chrysler aimed with the Duster 340 directly at the Nova SS buyers. There was quite an informative article about this marketing strategy in 'Automobile Colectibles' magazin years ago.

Generally speaking,

A 'muscle car' was a Mid-Sized car with a Big-Block Engine, a 4-Speed, and a deep
throaty sounding Dual-Exhaust system.

Now that is the general description.

Generally speaking,

A 'muscle car' was a Mid-Sized car with a Big-Block Engine, a 4-Speed, and a deep
throaty sounding Dual-Exhaust system.

Now that is the general description.

That's a good description but it brings up the question of what we call the "others". What would, say, a valiant with a small block or big block and reverse manual auto be called? Done up it could certainly beat up on some "true" muscle cars and its certainly not a "pony" car.

In the late 60's/early 70's, the insurance companies classified any car with 10 lbs per Horsepower or less a "Muscle Car". That put you in a high risk category. Hence the conservative horsepower ratings (Duster340 275 HP-Really?). If you were young, your insurance payments were more than your car payments!

That's a good description but it brings up the question of what we call the "others". What would, say, a valiant with a small block or big block and reverse manual auto be called? Done up it could certainly beat up on some "true" muscle cars and its certainly not a "pony" car.
you call it a roid mobile , compact on steroids

-
Back