Duster 340 not a muscle car...

-
For me the exception to the RWD V8 being a muscle car are the poney cars. Thoughs would be Mustang, Comodes, Fire Birds, Challengers, and later model Cudas.

I personally wouldn't give a rip what anyone else thinks. To me the muscle car era cars are muscles cars either from the factory, or when someone pulls the slant six and drops in the V8! LOL

Webster says:

muscle car noun \-ˌkär\
: an American-made two-door sports car with a powerful engine

Full Definition of MUSCLE CAR

: any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving

If you go by that, the Duster is a Muscle Car.

If you go to this site, they have a table, which defines a Duster as a Muscle Car, but says the Barracuda is not (only 'Cuda models are muscle cars, say the folks who wrote this page) - not sure I agree with them...

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/general/musclecars-definition.shtml

Somewhere else, they seemed to say it needed to a 'midsize' car - lumping all 'compacts' (thus, all A-bodies) in with pony cars. I'm pretty sure the Dusters and Demons were marketed in the muscle car segment. And certainly with a 340, it would have muscle to spare.

Did you mean to say 'former' friend? Some of them Chebbie boys are really something. Ask him if a Nova SS qualifies as a musclecar. I know that they produced them with 6 cylinders that were anything but powerful. A friend of mine had a '64 Nova SS with a six that would have had most grandmas screaming about what a slug it was.

I don't know. My first car was a 69 Barracuda. I drove the living piss out of that car. This was in 77, and for me an olds 442 was boring to look at. So many GM cars just looked so frigging heavy and boat-ish.
And then I'd look at the Duster, Holy Smokes I wanted one so damn bad. Looked sleek, light and fast.
38 years later getting one is becoming a reality

View attachment image-3065111293.jpg

[QUOTE=DusterDaddy;
And then I'd look at the Duster, Holy Smokes I wanted one so damn bad. Looked sleek, light and fast.
38 years later getting one is becoming a reality

Nice

I wonder if he would say the Z/28 with 302 and 4 speed isn't a muscle car.

Lol, NO, he's a Chebby guy. He probably runs with a Vega being a muscle car.

Lol yeah had a guy in my neighbor hood when I was teenager with Vega...all he ever talked about was how fast that thing was. Finally got him to bring it out and run it. What a turd had 307 2 bbl someone put in it. I actually managed to out run him in my 77 Adventure stock 318 with a 3 on the tree. On a side note my stepdad had a Chevy 302 and 4 speed in a 56 Chevy street rod truck. I'll give it credit it did run pretty good.

What's the difference between a muscle car and a pony car? Big block VS small block? Are pony cars muscle cars? If a 340 car isn't a muscle car, what is it? Is a 57 Chrysler 300 with a 392 and a cross ram with 2 4bls a muscle car?

Just an applied case of the theory that the biggest mouth is powered by the smallest brain....

I can tell you that A LOT of big block Chevy's have had their lunch eaten by those "small" 340's! I know that even before I had my supercharger I was able to run 13.0 in the quater mile definitely faster than stock BBC times. Sounds to me like he's threatened by your little 340 LOL

lol this reminds me of the time i was in advance a few years ago and this guy in a chevelle was trying to order parts for it the guy at the counter asked him what engine he had and the reply was 'rat motor" . the parts guy said i need the size guy says 396 rat motor . Im unfortunately right behind this idiot cave dweller chevy guy and i just laughed a little , he turns around asked what i thought was so funny and said i looked to young to even know what a rat motor was . my reply ? any bb chevy but the reason i was laughing was because mopars big blocks are referred to as elephants he interrupted and said thats because they're big n slow . I said it doesn't say much for rats then because everyone knows an elephant will squash a rat .
I ended up leaving with him right behind me in my w200 which has a mild built 400 I turned to get on the expressway and he jumps out into the left lane and made an attempt at passing me he didn't make it past my bed side before i pulled away and he was staring at my black tailgate with DODGE in big white letters . we both grabbed the next exit i was turning right him left he pulled up beside me i yelled over to him theres your proof in black and white elephant squashes rats . I got flipped off for some reason lol

I would like to give that dumb *** a ride in my 340 Dart, but I'd have to throw the passenger seat away after he **** himself, after I dropped him off at his mommies house to wipe the tears of fright away.

Jeff

I would like to give that dumb *** a ride in my 340 Dart, but I'd have to throw the passenger seat away after he **** himself, after I dropped him off at his mommies house to wipe the tears of fright away.

Jeff

Yeah they always get that fake smile as they're gritting their teeth Really they're scared crapless as they say this is great. Gotta love it

I can tell you that A LOT of big block Chevy's have had their lunch eaten by those "small" 340's! I know that even before I had my supercharger I was able to run 13.0 in the quater mile definitely faster than stock BBC times. Sounds to me like he's threatened by your little 340 LOL

****. A lot of big block mopars have been eaten by 340's in an Abody.

Any dumbass knows what a 350 is but most never heard of a 340 u tell them 340 they say you mean 350? Chevy guys are like most of the population ignorant stupid close minded Assholes at least the ones I have come across or heard tales about

The term "MUSCLE CAR" was coined, (as I remember it,) by the automotive press in 1964, when the first GTO.'s were introduced. (I was 26 in 1964, when this all started...)

The writers described a muscle car as an intermediate body (there were no pony cars, yet... the Mustangs came a bit later in the year...) into which the factory had fitted a supposedly powerful, big block engine, ostensibly, giving the car "muscular" performance capabilities.

There were no Mopar "muscle cars" fitting this definition, although Ma built many, many cars that would handily outrun the purported "muscle cars" without half trying... the great bulk of the early muscle cars, the GTO's, the Olds 442's, Buick Gran Sports, Ford Fairlane GTA's, and big block Chevelles would only run in the low 14's at best, while the Mopar Super Stock 413's 426's and 426 Hemis were worlds faster.... but, they were not not true "muscle cars" because their engines were in full sized cars, not intermediates.

I guess the only "musclecars" back then, to come from Mopar were the big block (and Hemi) Barracudas and Darts of 1967, 1968 and '69. The Challengers and 1970-up Barracudas were not intermediates; they were ponycars (patterned after the Mustang; hence the name "ponycar.") In the area of performance, the so-called musclecars of the era were weak tea... A 340 Duster will open a can of whoopass on a whole lot of them (early GTO's included) but in the parlance of the automotive writers of the time, it is not really a musclecar because it doesn't have a big block engine, regardless of the fact that it may be faster... and, usually is.

So, the term "musclecar" in not about speed... it's just a way to classify a big block engine in an intermediate chassis. Has nothing at all to do with how fast (or, slow) it may be...

That's the best explanation I can think of... from someone who was an NHRA Area Tech Advisor at the time... and was paying attention.

It's really just a slang term with no roots in performance... just a big block intermediate.

Hope this helps:glasses7:

If you go to this site, they have a table, which defines a Duster as a Muscle Car, but says the Barracuda is not (only 'Cuda models are muscle cars, say the folks who wrote this page) - not sure I agree with them...

its right to a point.. a 318 barracuda isn't a muscle car. a 273 or 318 anything isn't a muscle car. guess you could argue the formula s 273 commando barracudas may be a muscle car but i don't know... a 383 2bbl isn't a muscle car..

i don't know how any convertible can be considered a muscle car either...

Some people have no idea what they are talking about. I am not brand loyal. I think that's dumb. I love a nice car period. My last Camaro which was a 73, I dropped a stroked 383 in it , coupled to a TH 350, and I would smoke most on the street with it. Mopars included. However That being said someone is always faster. But a muscle car was just an era in my opinion. Fast, somewhat lightweight cars built for performance. My 64 cuda is almost 1000 lbs less than these "muscle cars" on the road today. My 73 Camaro weighed around 3400 with the mods I did to it. Moral of the story. Who gives a rats *** what he thinks.

A friend of mine ticked me off when he said "your Duster 340 is not actually a muscle car"

I think it more than qualifies...

Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Ask him what his definition of a musclecar supposed to be?

-
Back