Duster Archeology

-

Edsrt

Reaction score
Years ago I acquired a 70 Duster shell it had been a race car in the 80 's . The car is missing the original drive train , firewall, inner fenders and dash. Now I don't have the resources to get it back to the track ,so it's time to move it on. I figured it will be easier to sell if I could get a title. I found the last 8 digits in the package tray confirming it is a 70 and built in Hamtramck and all 70 duster VINs are V-29-0b###### so if I could find some way to figure out what engine and price point the car had I may be able to get a salvage title from the state. So I was wondering if there is any other stamping that would identify original engine witch would also determining price point. Any help would be appreciated

The 5th digit says all H is 340. G is 318 and C is slant six

You do NOT need to determine the whole original VIN to get a state issued VIN & a title.

Just apply for a state issued VIN & the person that inspects the car as part of the process will research that on their own.

The 5th digit says all H is 340. G is 318 and C is slant six
Thanks, I know there was only 4 engine's available in the duster but I wonder if the factory put any other markings or stamping that would identify original engine since the Vin plate is missing and door sticker are also gone

Thanks, I know there was only 4 engine's available in the duster but I wonder if the factory put any other markings or stamping that would identify original engine since the Vin plate is missing and door sticker are also gone
Why would it matter now unless you are trying to sell it?
Just build it the way you want and don't look back.
The car will never be matching numbers anyway.........

He's 'moving it on' so that sounds like he's selling it, and wants to represent it as accurately as possible.

Why would it matter now unless you are trying to sell it?
The car will never be matching numbers anyway.........
I believe he is planning to sell it.

I believe he is planning to sell it.
Yes I will be selling it. I bought it on a bill of sale so I have had a few people who were interested in making it a street car again witch would be a ton of work. Since I am in the process of getting ready for a 3rd gen Hemi swap in my other Duster I can't afford both . So if I can get some kind of title so someone can make use of it and won't have to scrap it

The state will just assign a VIN to it. There’s no way to really know anything at this point. I’d call it “set up for a V8” and dump it.

Yes I will be selling it. I bought it on a bill of sale so I have had a few people who were interested in making it a street car again witch would be a ton of work. Since I am in the process of getting ready for a 3rd gen Hemi swap in my other Duster I can't afford both . So if I can get some kind of title so someone can make use of it and won't have to scrap it

Once again.....

Just apply for a state issued VIN. It will come with a title.

The state will just assign a VIN to it. There’s no way to really know anything at this point.

The state will not have the records.

BUT - This process starts with the state.

Once the state issued VIN is applied for, as part of that process the car will be inspected.

After that, another agency will be contacted with the body number.

That may be the NICB or the FBI.

They BOTH have the records of the full original VIN for the body, but the search has to come from inside the circle of law, in this case his states DMV / BMV when he applies for a state issued VIN to start the process.

"so it's time to move it on. I figured it will be easier to sell if I could get a title."

a direct copy from the 1st post,, so prior to replying, it is always helpful to have read the 1st post.

posting this for the benefit of the guy that wrote
"Why would it matter now unless you are trying to sell it?
The car will never be matching numbers anyway........"

and then reading between the lines, the OP is wanting to maximize the sell price by finding a way to track the body shell back
to a 340 car. Why not?

So it is not a matter of just applying for a title..
again, read the posts ahead of where you post.

I did if you meant me?

But I work with several people in law enforcement as needed, so I know the legal way to get a title in his case is to start by applying for a state issued VIN.

The state will not have the records.

BUT - This process starts with the state.

Once the state issued VIN is applied for, as part of that process the car will be inspected.

After that, another agency will be contacted with the body number.

That may be the NICB or the FBI.

They BOTH have the records of the full original VIN for the body, but the search has to come from inside the circle of law, in this case his states DMV / BMV when he applies for a state issued VIN to start the process.

You misunderstood what I said.
A state (any state) will assign a VIN number to the chassis. That will allow a sale and registration in another state. That new VIN will probably not have anything to do with a factory VIN. It won't include any manufacture plant or powertrain or year info or price level. CT is strictly numeric and the car would be treated as a "hand built" type car.
He can't build any value by getting a factory VIN given the condition of the chassis. If he wants to sell it, make it sellable and sell it for what someone will pay. It won't be a money-maker.

Isn't the VIN stamped on the body in other places? Radiator support? Trunk lip somewhere?

"so it's time to move it on. I figured it will be easier to sell if I could get a title."

a direct copy from the 1st post,, so prior to replying, it is always helpful to have read the 1st post.

posting this for the benefit of the guy that wrote
"Why would it matter now unless you are trying to sell it?
The car will never be matching numbers anyway........"

and then reading between the lines, the OP is wanting to maximize the sell price by finding a way to track the body shell back
to a 340 car. Why not?

So it is not a matter of just applying for a title..
That would be me.
The o.p. cleared that up for me in post #8.
Maybe you should read back and see the responses before you in effect make me out to be a tool for not reading the first post correctly.
Hey, i admit it was a mistake.
Thanks for your constructive criticism..........

You misunderstood what I said.

No, I didn't. I know how the process works.

BUT - they have to establish that the body with no full VIN is not stolen, so the state has to do due diligence & ask one of the agencies I mentioned above to use their records to determine the full, original VIN.

If the VIN from it was used on another car, that car can be confiscated & it is also possible that the original VIN tag could make it back to the original car.

As far as value goes, it would be worth more with a state issued VIN than with no VIN at all.

Isn't the VIN stamped on the body in other places? Radiator support? Trunk lip somewhere?

I believe so. Driver side trunk inner lip comes to mind. I think only the sequence number not the entire VIN. I believe the same to be true for the rad support.

Riddler

I found the last 8 digits in the package tray

Correct for a Duster as the OP mentioned.

The other location is the radiator support.

No full VIN in either case.

BUT - they have to establish that the body with no full VIN is not stolen, so the state has to do due diligence & ask one of the agencies I mentioned above to use their records to determine the full, original VIN.

If the VIN from it was used on another car, that car can be confiscated & it is also possible that the original VIN tag could make it back to the original car.

As far as value goes, it would be worth more with a state issued VIN than with no VIN at all.
A while back I found an insurance website that did Vin search for to see if the car was reported stolen. I ran all the combinations I believed to be possible and all came back ok but I did not think about the original Vin may be living on another car . All I know about the car is it was a race car since the late 70s and may have competed in the modified production class and then was bracket raced in the 80s

"a race car since the late 70s"

the vintage race car market is hot right now, if you can verify that the car had some success in its day, or at least was touched by some one of
renoun, that may be your ticket.

Gotcha. It's bee a long time since I did that, and only in CT.

-
Back