Duster emblem debate

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
I've noticed something on Dusters and I figure I'll throw it up for debate. This topic is regarding emblems on Dusters. Now, my main debate is regarding emblems on the 1973s. Most came with 3 Duster emblems. 1 on each front fender and 1 on the right side of the tail light panel.

What started this debate was my '73 Duster. It has a Duster emblem on the tail light panel but no Duster emblems on the fenders. Instead on the right fender, there is a Plymouth emblem on the right fender (including a picture). The Plymouth emblem on the fender is exactly like the ones that came on the right side of the trunklid lip on some Dusters. So that leaves the subject, what emblems do you guys have on your cars?

Picture151.jpg

Well, dodgepower's '72 Gold Duster came with the "Gold Duster" call out decals, one on each fender, one on the tail light panel. One "PLYMOUTH" emblem on the hood and one on the decklid. The '73 we had had a "Duster" emblem on each fender as well as the taillight panel. We kept the emblems off the '73 only to have some idiot steal them off the '72.

looks like someone just didn't have the duster emblems and had a couple of plymouth emblems and stuck them on with the double sided tape. i would bet that behind the plymouth emblems there are holes being covered up as well. i would say this was a quick fix for the holes and lack of good duster emblems to put back on.....

The thing though is there is only one Plymouth emblem and I looked at the back of the fenders and couldn't spot any holes.

its a 70-71 hood emblem , the 70-74 cuda add this too on is hood , this emblem was not placed there by the factory.

I would have to agree that the emblem on the fender is not factory. Some late dusters had the fender emblems that were stickers, thus no holes in them.

Oh, and my 73 had metal "Duster" emblems on both fenders and the right tail panel, as did my 75. The only thing was that the 75 had a small rectangular "custom" emblem below it.

its a 70-71 hood emblem , Correct! The aftermarket ones are stick on and don't have the three pins on the back.

my car is a 72 with the correct plymouth emblem on the trunk and hood,on the fenders its the duster emblems only.Furthermore is there a pentastar emblem on your cars one fender?Your car looks repainted which would explain the mix ups.

Noooo.....it's too small..the hood ones are larger and have 3 pegs. I believe that to be a trunk lid stick on one....

70 Cuda's used a different one in the grille. 71-74 Cuda's used a small one like that but 3 pegs...on the hood

What I'd really like to know is....in 1970 did All Dusters use the VALIANT fender emblem? (with 2 pegs).....I'm looking for a pair of NOS ones....
Thanks

Noooo.....it's too small..the hood ones are larger and have 3 pegs. I believe that to be a trunk lid stick on one....

70 Cuda's used a different one in the grille. 71-74 Cuda's used a small one like that but 3 pegs.

What I'd really like to know is....in 1970 did All Dusters use the VALIANT fender emblem? (with 2 pegs).....I'm looking for a pair of NOS ones....
Thanks
My 70 had them, and I bought it new. I need one too, lost one.

If that Plymouth emblem is pinned, 70 duster hood.

Okay I looked completley. The right fender where the Plymouth emblem is has 2 holes for a Duster one. Have yet to find the holes on the drivers side. No pentastar currentley. No holes for one though. Did the '73s come factory with a Plymouth emblem on the trunklid?

Okay I looked completley. The right fender where the Plymouth emblem is has 2 holes for a Duster one. Have yet to find the holes on the drivers side. No pentastar currentley. No holes for one though. Did the '73s come factory with a Plymouth emblem on the trunklid?

The driver side fender of your car is a Gold Duster fender which came with a "Gold Duster" decal on it. Your passenger side fender is from a Duster that came with a two prong "Duster" script emblem. It appears that one of your fenders has been replaced previously

Thanks[/QUOTE]

All the 70 Dusters I've seen over the years have the VALIANT fender emblems. Chrysler press photos and the road test cars show them as well. Incidentally, a V-EIGHT fender emblem sometimes showed up on the 70 Dusters as well, mounted a few inches from the fender tops toward the front. They came on both 318 and 340 Dusters but infrequently.

I'm looking for a decent pair of VALIANT fender emblems as well. NOS would be nice but I'd settle for some correct repops. I don't think they're being made though. Probably a small demand, however, quite a few of the ones I see are faded like mine.

.. just to chime in... My '74 Duster originally had from the factory. The metal two prong "Duster" emblems on the side of each fender. At the right rear trunk lid was a stick on PLYMOUTH emblem. There was also a "Duster" emblem in the tail panel right near the right tail light.
My Duster was a plaino jaino no frills no thrills to start with. But I do know... the emblems were as it rolled from the factory. The plymouth emblem you have stuck on the fender (like has been mentioned) is incorrect in that position.

-RPM

The driver side fender of your car is a Gold Duster fender which came with a "Gold Duster" decal on it. Your passenger side fender is from a Duster that came with a two prong "Duster" script emblem. It appears that one of your fenders has been replaced previously

The thing is though, my car was originally Gold....all the sheetmetal is the original gold. I just think I haven't been able to find the holes yet. My left fender has a bit of bondo so it might be filling in the holes.

I checked the 73 Parts Manual. :read2: According to it, there is a Plymouth name plate on the lower right hand corner of the rear deck lid. There is a Duster name plate on the tail panel to the left of the right hand tail light assembly. There is a Duster name plate on each of the front fender locate below the belt line between the door and the front tire well. The Duster name plates use the same part number. This is the standard treatment. There are different treatments for the Gold Duster and Duster 340 packages. In most cases, the fender name plates are replaced with tape.

The thing is though, my car was originally Gold....all the sheetmetal is the original gold. I just think I haven't been able to find the holes yet. My left fender has a bit of bondo so it might be filling in the holes.

Your car has deffinatly been repainted. Therfor it was prob covered up in the prep work. If that is a stick on Plymouth symbol then the prob just welded the holes closed, then ground it off. How long ago was it painted? It could have road dirt/crap covering up the weld plug. If it was just bondo pluging the hole it would have cracked and fallen out by now.

Take a magnet to it, see if it sticks, that fender could have been wrecked at one time.

RE: 1970 duster emblems...Mine has Plymouth

Penta star was only on Right side ( passenger) not left. I still think it was welded. If it was bondo you would see a niple on the inside of the fender from the bondo that oozed through. and I also think it would have broken by now ( looks like an older paint job)

Dunno if this is any help. My 70 was originally a gold duster. A valiant 2 prong on each fender, the right lower pentastar, a 3 prong plymouth on the hood, everything else was decals. Saw a '71 factory v8 on front of the fender. Original.

Mine has two stick on tape"340 Duster" emblems on each fender as well as the pentastar emblem on the passenger fender only. The rear tail panel has a 2 pin "Duster" emblem as well as I have the chrome "Plymouth" trunk lid script which is mounted at the far right hand (passenger side) lip of the trunk lid. I did however add on the Duster logo sticky emblem on the rear tail panel. I like the look of it so I added it to the car.

-
Back