Duster Rear shocks too short w/XHD Leaf

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I just finished re-installing my freshly restored rearend on the Duster and noticed that my rear shocks may be too short. I also replaced the leaf springs with XHD springs and they state that they have 1" added to stock arch to give more room for larger tires and better traction. When I went to hook up my shocks, I pulled them to full extension and I had a gap of almost 2 inches from the lower shock eye to the lower shock mount. I jacked the rearend up to take up the difference which could be why she sits lower now. When I pull the shock off the mount and lower it without it connected, the car sits a lot higher like I think it should. I measured them and length compressed is 14 in and extended is 22.5 in with a 1" hole at each end. Do I need to go to a longer shock and if so which one? I have heard about using B body shocks, but not sure which as the eye holes could be different. Thanks for the help.

Ken

Attachments

• 2011-05-06_12-37-02_894.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 431
  • 2011-05-05_17-36-47_82.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 424
went you put the weight of the car on rear suspension with the shocks installed .......watch how much the rear shocks compress....

It is hard to tell as they are air shocks. I know, I know! I just took them back to the auto parts store for a refund. I figured since I have new leafs plus reading all the bad reviews on air shocks I should go back to a normal shock. Now I need to choose which one! I was looking at the following:

- Rancho RS9000XL @ Mancini
- Edelbrock IAS
- KYB Gas a just

I was leaning towards the Ranchos since they give an extra inch of lift, but they are pricey. Any suggestions? Thanks again for all the help!

Ken

she'll settle down some after all the parts are installed,fuel in the tank, spare tire etc. they make longer shocks for use with super stock springs that will work nicely if you still have an issue when the car is finished,just wiat till everything is in place and recheck then.....Jmo...........Wagg's

Thikning out loud here..........

B body shocks are 1 inch longer.

Like said above, once everything is in the car and the intial spring load hieght settles down , you'll be fine. I had this issue with my S/S springs. LOL!

Let me ask a couple questions here if I may.
If the shock is too short by an inch or so, I agree that once the car is ready to roll, everything mounted, gas etc. that it will most likely ride and drive fine. Probably never see the shock fully extended on the road. What about when he rolls it in for an oil change or tires? If it is lifted by the body, that would place the entire weight of the rear axle being held "up" by the shock - those two upper shock bolts to be exact. Would you see a problem with this?
My second question is in regards to the rear brake hose. With the extra lift, any danger of having this hose too short?

My questions come from having done two mods to my car. I've added a rear leaf, not for extra height but for the extra stiffness for an M body rear axle. I did get a little extra height in the bargain, though.
Second, I placed a 1/2" spacer in front of the front hanger. Doing this has centered those big 15's in the wheel well near about perfect.
I did notice when the shocks are hooked up they do not allow the rear axle to drop as far as when they are hooked up when lifting the body.
C

Let me add something I just replaced my autozone shocks with kyb gas a just shocks about an hour ago and I also added traction bars on my duster... it is a night and day difference man the car feels much better when hitting the throttle and more traction too. I got the two rear kybs from summitracing it cost me 70$ plus shipping about 10$ awesome deal

You need longer shocks such as Mopar Performance P4529514. With the shocks you have there will not be enough travel for then leaf springs to work and make the car "rise" when you hit the throttle. I used a set of KYB's for an early dodge pickup which are 2" longer. Just make sure the mounting eyelets are the same size.

Let me ask a couple questions here if I may.
If the shock is too short by an inch or so, I agree that once the car is ready to roll, everything mounted, gas etc. that it will most likely ride and drive fine. Probably never see the shock fully extended on the road. What about when he rolls it in for an oil change or tires? If it is lifted by the body, that would place the entire weight of the rear axle being held "up" by the shock - those two upper shock bolts to be exact. Would you see a problem with this?
My second question is in regards to the rear brake hose. With the extra lift, any danger of having this hose too short?

My questions come from having done two mods to my car. I've added a rear leaf, not for extra height but for the extra stiffness for an M body rear axle. I did get a little extra height in the bargain, though.
Second, I placed a 1/2" spacer in front of the front hanger. Doing this has centered those big 15's in the wheel well near about perfect.
I did notice when the shocks are hooked up they do not allow the rear axle to drop as far as when they are hooked up when lifting the body.
C

You bring up a good point here which is why I think I am gonna go with the 1" longer Rancho shocks. I also think it will take care of the over extension on the shock easing the pressure on the shock mounts when on jacks. I honestly do not think the brake hose will be an issue, because I have no shocks on mine right now with full extension and the hose still has plenty of travel room. Plus later on down the road I may go with the caltracs system which makes a good combo with those shocks. Still researching though. This is a good topic!

I received the new shocks from Mancini today and installed them. Perfect fit and I have plenty of room now. Thank you everyone for the help and tips! Here are some pictures.

Ken

Attachments

• 2011-05-13_12-41-21_569.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 2011-05-13_12-41-34_901.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 295
They look like they will be close to bottoming out (or very limited upward travel at the very least) when the suspension is loaded.

You do not use your unloaded suspension as a reference for shock length.

They look like they will be close to bottoming out (or very limited upward travel at the very least) when the suspension is loaded.

You do not use your unloaded suspension as a reference for shock length.

I am not sure if I completely agree on this. Here are some pictures of the car on the ground and there is still alot of travel remaining on the shocks. Granted, the fuel tank and 16 gallons of fuel are not in there, but even still, there is a lot of travel remaining. I even got myself and my neighbor, both 220+lbs a piece sitting on the back of the car and the suspension was flexing nicely, but never bottomed out once. When I got the shocks, the shafts were completely retracted (no chrome showing). The stance also looks pretty good with a nice gap in the rear wheelwell. Any other thoughts on this?

Ken

Attachments

• 2011-05-13_13-56-36_913.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 2011-05-13_13-57-04_910.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 334
Even when you have all the pieces re-installed it may not bottom out the shocks, (although it did look like it could happen), you may find yourself in a seriously stiff riding vehicle.

The shocks always hole the rear up when hanging. What else back there would?
3" down, 6" up; unless you have 4 link, etc. Have buddy watch body rise on launch.

The shocks always hole the rear up when hanging. What else back there would?
3" down, 6" up; unless you have 4 link, etc. Have buddy watch body rise on launch.

I took the lower shock off and pulled it to full extension. With the leaf hanging, the shock pulled past the shock mount 2.5in. Additionally, this car is going to be a street car only and will not see the track.

The shocks always hole the rear up when hanging.
I suppose that would be true if the shocks were too short. Well, at least until they rips the mounts out of the trunk floor after it hangs down hard over a big bump one too many times. :tard:

I took the lower shock off and pulled it to full extension. With the leaf hanging, the shock pulled past the shock mount 2.5in. Additionally, this car is going to be a street car only and will not see the track.
You're good to go.

I suppose that would be true if the shocks were too short. Well, at least until they rips the mounts out of the trunk floor after it hangs down hard over a big bump one too many times. :tard:
I've ripped them out with a hard launch, sigh.

-
Back