Duster VS Dart

-

Al Bundy

four touchdowns!
Reaction score
I have never owned a Duster before but found a really nice one and it will probably follow me home this week. Same color as Al Bundys "Dodge" on Married with Children,interior,dash,seats all look near new. Its a one owner car and even has AC that works.
My question is,is there a big difference in build quality between the darts and dusters? I read somewhere that dusters weigh a couple hundred pounds less and are the bodies are more "flexible" than darts. About the only thing I don't like about Dusters is that the rear side windows don't roll down into the body for that hardtop look. I really wanted a Dodge Demon,but cant find one locally.

duster window work like Demon windows..... back ones don't roll down.

me personally like the Duster better then the darts....rear wheel wells...is the main reason...but everyone has their own preference...

buy it and have fun..

current...3 duster and 2 darts..and one demon...

duster window work like Demon windows..... back ones don't roll down.

Yep,they pop open at the rear. I wish they rolled down like the dart rear windows. Has anyone here ever customized their duster to make the windows roll down?

me personally like the Duster better then the darts....rear wheel wells...is the main reason...but everyone has their own preference...

buy it and have fun..

current...3 duster and 2 darts..and one demon...

I like them both,the 67-72 Darts and the Demons and Dusters. I was just wondering if they dusters are "flimsier" than the darts due to their lighter weight.

Yep,they pop open at the rear. I wish they rolled down like the dart rear windows. Has anyone here ever customized their duster to make the windows roll down?

Maybe make a quick disconnect to remove them like T-tops

duster are lighter due to being 3 inches shorter wheel base...plus lack of roll down rear quarter windows....

I am totally into dusters now.

I think they made more dart bodies than duster bodies because when I was first in this hobby all I would find were darts and I have been through quite a few in my time....so many that I am kinda bored with darts now.

Dusters have some sweet lines. Demons are around too....I was originally on a hunt for a 74 duster when I ran into my 72 demon. At first glance many people will mistake demons as dusters. To me, it doesn't really matter if it's a demon or a duster, they are both pretty sweet.

I still like darts too, but as I said, there are way more of them around.

I am totally into dusters now.

I think they made more dart bodies than duster bodies because when I was first in this hobby all I would find were darts and I have been through quite a few in my time....so many that I am kinda bored with darts now.

Dusters have some sweet lines. Demons are around too....I was originally on a hunt for a 74 duster when I ran into my 72 demon. At first glance many people will mistake demons as dusters. To me, it doesn't really matter if it's a demon or a duster, they are both pretty sweet.

I still like darts too, but as I said, there are way more of them around.

That's funny,I was on a hunt for a Demon and all I could find were 74 Dusters! lol! No kidding,It seems like 1970-1972 Dusters and Demons hide from me and I only see 73-76 Dusters. You are right though,even now I see more Darts than Dusters and people do seem to like Dusters more. I agree Dusters and Demons have very nice body lines.

I think I remember researching Al Bundy's car and I personally remember a couple different years and a couple different colors. I always laughed at the fact that he called it the dodge when it was really a Plymouth. Al Bundy's always been one of my number one Heroes And I drive his car LOL

My question is,is there a big difference in build quality between the darts and dusters?
Not likely as both were built on the same lines in the same plants.
I read somewhere that dusters weigh a couple hundred pounds less and are the bodies are more "flexible" than darts.
The only real difference between the Duster and Demon are the front clips and the tail panel. (The left front door on my Demon came off of a Duster.) The Dart front end has a little more overhang than the Duster and it uses a lower valence panel that is not part of a Valiant front end. With the same equipment levels, the difference in weight between the two is minimal.
As for flexibility differences, it is a myth. I had heard that heavier gauge sheet metal was used in the Dodges. Also, not true. Using repro parts it is possible to convert the tail panel. I haven't seen a 72 Demon grille in repro, however.
About the only thing I don't like about Dusters is that the rear side windows don't roll down into the body for that hardtop look. I really wanted a Dodge Demon,but cant find one locally.......Has anyone here ever customized their duster to make the windows roll down?
Customized, yes; roll down, no. The rear windows in my Demon have a manual remote control courtesy of an 80s vintage Grand Caravan SE. If you prefer power operated, look for an LE model. I have not seen remote mechanisms in any SWB Mopar minivans in my sorties into salvage yards.

Let's also note that Dusters/Demons have a fixed "B" pillar, which should theoretically make them stiffer than a Dart hardtop.

I for one do not by that "1 inch longer wheelbase" Dodge vs Plymouth.
I think that was a marketing gimmick designed to up-sell the Dodge line.
Think about it- same floor pan, same frame rails, same springs.....where's the inch?

If you've even hung springs or an axle, you'll also find that about an inch is within the tolerance of those parts fitting together.

Why? Quick, light, always seal, and simple. I like the pop out windows.

I think I remember researching Al Bundy's car and I personally remember a couple different years and a couple different colors. I always laughed at the fact that he called it the dodge when it was really a Plymouth. Al Bundy's always been one of my number one Heroes And I drive his car LOL

You're right,Al's car was a 1972 Plymouth duster. the episode you are thinking of where he had a 1973 was "Oh What a Feeling" where Al had a blue 1973 Gold Duster that he pushed home from work. He had buried $5,000 for the deposit on a newmustang in the back yard under a tree,but peggy got to it leaving only $800. He then bought a pacer and a gremlin and they wound up with "his old car back" only repainted brown,the only problem was his "old car" was now suddenly a 1972 again. Later the car was repainted red for the car wash episode,but was always a 1972

Not likely as both were built on the same lines in the same plants.
The only real difference between the Duster and Demon are the front clips and the tail panel. (The left front door on my Demon came off of a Duster.) The Dart front end has a little more overhang than the Duster and it uses a lower valence panel that is not part of a Valiant front end. With the same equipment levels, the difference in weight between the two is minimal.
As for flexibility differences, it is a myth. I had heard that heavier gauge sheet metal was used in the Dodges. Also, not true. Using repro parts it is possible to convert the tail panel. I haven't seen a 72 Demon grille in repro, however.
Customized, yes; roll down, no. The rear windows in my Demon have a manual remote control courtesy of an 80s vintage Grand Caravan SE. If you prefer power operated, look for an LE model. I have not seen remote mechanisms in any SWB Mopar minivans in my sorties into salvage yards.

Thanks for the info 2 Darts,I didn't think there would be a huge difference in quality between Dusters and Darts,I was curious because of a statement to that effect I had read online.
I would love to see photos of your duster with the rear windows down

How can you even call yourself Al Bundy if you don't drive a Duster?
You should be ashamed........

He had a convertible in one show. where they were stuck in traffic leaving town on vacation .EDIT: Wrong it was a red mustang.
MV5BMjMwOTI3OTY5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDUzODEyMjE@._V1_UY268_CR87,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Let's also note that Dusters/Demons have a fixed "B" pillar, which should theoretically make them stiffer than a Dart hardtop.

I for one do not by that "1 inch longer wheelbase" Dodge vs Plymouth.
I think that was a marketing gimmick designed to up-sell the Dodge line.
Think about it- same floor pan, same frame rails, same springs.....where's the inch?

If you've even hung springs or an axle, you'll also find that about an inch is within the tolerance of those parts fitting together.

plymouth wheel base is 3" shorter than darts but not demons,as are the driveshafts
the "b" pillar and fastback may make the Duster / Demon style more rigid.
a Duster is about 10" shorter than a dart
some prefer the Duster because of the mis-matched wheel wells.Demons used plymouth
rear wheel wells and Dart front wheel wells.
..i like them all!

Did anybody mention the '73 - '76 Dart "Sport"? Evolved from the Demon, so it's a lot like a Duster as well. Gotta know what to look for when viewed form the side to be able to tell the difference. The longer wheelbase Darts with what could be called a "notchback" are often refererred to as the "Swinger" versions, to help properly identify which "Dart" you're talking about.

A lot of the same year & spec Dodges are a bit heavier than the Plymouth version. i.e.: Duster vs. Demon or Dart Sport. Perhaps because Dodge seemed to be a bit more upscale. At least that's what I've seen on several NHRA listed shipping weights.

I have a Duster - friend of mine has a 69 Dart. I bought the Duster becuz it was local, rock solid, and at a decent price. All unibodies are flexible - that's why they make things like tubular UCA's, bigger torsion bars, bigger sway bars, and frame connectors!

And just think, if you buy a Duster, the misinformed Chevy guys can tell you that you have a sweet Nova and ask if you have a 350 in it! LOL!

Duster's and Dart's aren't that different. Certainly not from a quality of build standpoint, they were made on the same assembly lines, and use a lot of the same parts. Remember, all of the subframes and crossmembers are identical. Same with a lot of the structural reinforcements, firewall, most of the cowl, most of the floors, etc. The Dart has a 3" longer wheelbase, so, that's where some of the weight savings come from.

As for being more rigid, if anything I think the Duster platform would be. All the same subframes as I already pointed out, but they're closer together because of the 108" wheelbase (vs 111"). The "B" pillar doesn't amount to much, but the shape of the window and C pillar might, and again the Duster style would at least on general principle be stiffer ( no sharp corner at the quarter like the Dart.) Honestly though I don't think it would make a huge difference.

And of course the entire front of the car is the same. That's how Demon's even existed. It's just Dart bodywork on a Duster, and it's a completely bolt on operation. The nose on the Dart is a bit longer as was already pointed out, there's more overhang ahead of the front wheels. Finding a 73+ car should be pretty easy too, the reason they're so easy to find is that '74 was the biggest year of production for the Duster, by far. Which is why I bought a '74 Duster and did the body swap on it to make it into a Demon tribute. Easier to find a '74, and it's a lot cheaper to buy a '74 Duster than a '71 Demon. Even if you take into consideration buying all the Dart sheetmetal for the conversion.

'74 Duster

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3627_zpsy3oleyjr.jpg

'71-ish Demon tribute
IMG_2475a_zpsazgktsph.jpg

IMG_2484a_zpscao5szar.jpg

Everything bolts on except the tail panel, but that's a Duster to Demon difference obviously, the Dart back end is completely different from a bodywork standpoint
IMG_2249_zpsr27snzg1.jpg

Difference in the length between a Dart and Duster front end, Dart hood with the Duster front clip

IMG_1907_zpske2hrrlo.jpg

Everything you see here is the same, Dart, Duster, doesn't matter. Firewall forward is identical.
IMG_1911_zpsff86839b.jpg

Unfortunately the Duster I am looking is after 1972,but it's immaculate inside and out with factory air and Al bundys color. If anyonehere is in SoCal and has a nice solid rust free daily driver Demon let me know before I pull the trigger on this duster.

-
Back