duster weight ?

-

345man

mopar member
Reaction score
i ve got a 74 duster witha 340 in it, full weight, no fiberglass, roll bar, or racing seats. just wondering if anyone out there knows what a 73 or 74 full weight small block duster would weigh? just curious- thanks guys :wav:

I will go and look!! but I believe 3180 or could be 3400 lb.with a 8 3/4 rear.
Some one here may know Or I will take a peek.

They hit the scales at 3.520 lb at the test plant
the 1974 360 !
I am sure the 340 would the same.

With the doors getting the side impact pieces and the bumpers getting a 50? pound backing plate to go with the energy absorbing brackets, the 73/74's got a little heavy. I still have the scale weight of our 72 when it was a /6 ...3,075 pounds with no driver. No wonder we got such poor mileage with all the extra weight and the primitve smog pumps, etc. mandated to save us from extinction .

My '70 weights in at 3180....opps that right its 3150 now i just took 30 lbs off the front-end.. :toothy7:

this info is helping a whole lot guys, thanks for the replies :blob:

not a 100% sure but my 73duster doesnt have any sideimpact protection in its doors and i cant find any evidence thera has ever been any in there, however i am pretty sure that it has its originaldoors..
my duster is 3185lbs with me in it and a full tank of gas car has a lift of fiberglass hood and some small parts removed here and there but its not a guted shell like a racecar would bee

My '73 with 'glass hood and fenders and full interior with a full tank and my fat arse in it weighed in at 3310. so with out me in it it weighes 3060#.

73 does not have the impact bumpers or side bracing. I think that started in 74.

Yep he's right about the bracing and bumpers.....'73 was the start of the seat belt interface though.

The last time I was weighed it at Englishtown NJ this thing weighed 3116 with my 225 and a half tank of fuel

My '74 /6 904/7-1/4 has a titled 2830. It has dealer instaled A/C as an extra. P/S, P/B.
Then I swaped out the /6 for a 318/904/8-1/4. with heavery springs.
I lost some weight in the Aluminum intake and headers.

Any guessing on this weight. I have yet to do so myself.

The future will have fiberglass bumpers fore and aft and a hood. I think that will help.

I scaled my 74 at E Town in Nov. All steel, full interior with buckets and console, fold down rear seat, heavy stock absorber bumpers both ends, 340 (aluminum heads and int), 727, 8 3/4. Manual disc brakes & steering. The pig was 3600 with me in it! 73 & up has gotta be one of the heaviest factory A bodies.

It's in part due to the larger bumpers required by the Feds. Also extra wires, different seat belt, etc.......
The fold down seat is not light ethier.

Yes, Its sickening how much more our 74 Duster weighs compared to the 72. Iam getting ready to cut out most of the reinforcement plate behind the front bumper. Ive also been drinking light beer to help....

408duster said:
Yes, Its sickening how much more our 74 Duster weighs compared to the 72.
I'll be doing fiberglass bupers and hood for starters. Deleate steel reinforcements and what ever else. I'll keep the sound deading material since I drive the street and do like tunes once in awhile.
408duster said:
Ive also been drinking light beer to help....
Good man. Better for the heart as well. A few sit ups and you'll look like Fabio in no time. :thumbup:

I have never weighed my '72 Duster 340 with 727 and 8 3/4, but the shipping weight was listed as 3110 lbs. Terry.

Good man. Better for the heart as well. A few sit ups and you'll look like Fabio in no time. :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rumble... LOL, Watch out Fabio!

How about 67 thru 69 FB fishes? I believe my 68 FB was 3430lbs. 727, 340, all stock except for cragars. Kinda heavy. At least I think thats what it was. It was in those smoky kinda days.

big ed you have almost the same combo i have heads and all except i run an 8 1/4 and 904, maybe 50 pounds less but every thing else sounds the same, full weight and interior 74 duster. thanks for the input everyone :blob:

3205, NEW 72 DEMON 340 4spd W/BENCH SEAT, SPARE TIRE, JACK AND FULL TANK OF SPECIAL BREW WITH NO DRIVER IN CAR . I DROVE THIS CAR OFF SHOWROOM FLOOR JULY 25 1972, I ADDED THE CRAGARS WHEELS, GOODYEAR TIRES, AIR SHOCKS, TRACTION BARS AND YEARS OF MOMORIES.

1972%20demon%20pic%27s%20010.jpg

I understand the A body fish's are heavier. Don't know why or where.

-
Back