Duster....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
not the car but the cleaning tool. Need to get a new one. I have a California Duster that I have had for a very long time. Have never cared much for it, the wax streaks that it leaves behind are a pain in the a**. I use polish from Griots Garage and noticed this.....
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ultimate+micro+fiber+car+duster.do?sortby=ourPicks in there catalog the other day. Anybody ever use one of them? Any opinions on it? Don't worry, I am not like some folks that will give you a hard time for voicing your opinion.

Im very against them. Anytime you rub dust across your finish you are scratching it. Lots of small scratches will dull the paint.

Im very against them. Anytime you rub dust across your finish you are scratching it. Lots of small scratches will dull the paint.

So what would you suggest to remove the dust that settles on the car?

The good dusters have wax in them that picks up the dust doesnt scratch mine, just my opinion, dont clean the dusters just use them.

The good dusters have wax in them that picks up the dust doesnt scratch mine, just my opinion, dont clean the dusters just use them.

And were does the dust go when the duster picks it up ? It stick to the fibers of the duster and you continue to drag them across the paint.

I used a duster on my Duster for 7 years without issues, BUT it was a nice survivor with original paint, so maybe it makes a difference with whatever paint you use it on? It certainly wasn't a show car finish. I kept it waxed and used the California duster and Meguiar's Quik Detailer. I NEVER washed the car, that's just me.

I can tell you most of my customers have one in their trunk. If they listen to me or not is up to them. Doesnt matter to me, I'll gladly charge them every year to fix their. My prices start at $300 for an exterior detail. If you really want to protect your paint look into something like Gtechniq C1 or Opti-Coat. They are sealants that are 100 times thicker then wax and last for years. They are also harder then clear coat so it will reduce the scratching from the duster.

Its more expensive, around $75 to buy the product and its not easy to apply but its worth it.

I have over a mile and half of silty dirt toad to travel down. Compressed air or washing after I leave the hood just aint gonna happen.....

The Gtech is what you need.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GDqZl0UKVc"]Mud Proof Jeep - YouTube[/ame]

Adam, ever use this stuff?

View attachment Liquidglass.jpg

Decades ago I had a friend that used to detail cars for me. He swore by it. I used it on my Honda CBR600F2....It was red.....after 5 years of daily commuting and sitting in the AZ sun at work it went from a nice rich looking red to tomato orange. What was funny about it was even though the sun faded the paint water still beaded off it....and I had not used it for a year or so.

Thanks a bunch for your advice. I will be trying the GTech on my bike, before I paint it so I have an understanding on how to use it. The bodywork/finish on it now is shot so if I screw it up it will not be a big deal. It has a lot of solvent popping, unfinished (sand marks) body work and scratches from me just not caring about it.....

And were does the dust go when the duster picks it up ? It stick to the fibers of the duster and you continue to drag them across the paint.

Oh horse crap. Don't you know about the dust wormhole?

x2. Using the same duster for over 10 years, never washed it, no scratches either. I wash the car 1x a year and use mequires spray detail when needed. The rest of the time its spent covered.

x2. Using the same duster for over 10 years, never washed it, no scratches either. I wash the car 1x a year and use mequires spray detail when needed. The rest of the time its spent covered.

Your car is yellow, You dont notice it. Rub it over a black car. You dont have to believe me or listen. Its not my paint. The fact is every time you rub something on your paint your putting fine scratches in the surface. The fine scratches reduce shine. Thats why car washes ruin paint.

Attachments

• 1236559_10201631521607365_493809568_n.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 223
Your car is yellow, You dont notice it. Rub it over a black car. You dont have to believe me or listen. Its not my paint. The fact is every time you rub something on your paint your putting fine scratches in the surface. The fine scratches reduce shine. Thats why car washes ruin paint.
I was behind a black SUV the other day that looked like they'd sanded the paint clean lol.
Some friends of mine had a black g6 (one of the retractable hard-top ones) and I noticed that they used one of those dusters on it- a couple weeks after they got the car it already looked like it needed a repaint to fix the spiderweb scratching.

Heres one of my favorite before and after shots The car was only a year old. When I was done with it I asked the lady if she drove it through the woods. She told me that her granddaughter borrowed it and she didnt know what she did with it. I told her she drove it through the woods.

Attachments

• 558365_10151009216711199_1541581113_n.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 264017_10151009217016199_2015308937_n.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 212
drop me a line when your ready to apply it.

I am going to order some on try it on the bike before winter sets in, so I will be in touch here shortly. Thanks....

Heres one of my favorite before and after shots The car was only a year old. When I was done with it I asked the lady if she drove it through the woods. She told me that her granddaughter borrowed it and she didnt know what she did with it. I told her she drove it through the woods.

Looks like Lodgepole Pin-striping to me....That is what the side of my truck looked like after we drove it thru some neighbors trees a few weeks ago....He was freaking out over it, wanted me to take it and get an estimate on repairing it. Aint nothing the buffer and some mildly aggressive polish would not take care of. But my truck is silver so.....

When I use the GTech will I be able to use a duster on it, as long as it has a coat of the GTech on it?

Adam, you definitely know what you're doin. Nice job.

When I use the GTech will I be able to use a duster on it, as long as it has a coat of the GTech on it?

The coating is 100X thicker then wax and harder then your clear coat so it wont mar as easy. I still would prefer not to have the dust dragged across the finish but its your call.

Well, the color is beige (L1) not yellow. What do the pictures you posted have anything to do w/using a duster?

The coating is 100X thicker then wax and harder then your clear coat so it wont mar as easy. I still would prefer not to have the dust dragged across the finish but its your call.

How does it protect against acid spots from sap, bird crap and bugs? Because dirt, dust and water spots can all be washed, polished or buffed out but acid spots really do a number on your clear coat.

Well, the color is beige (L1) not yellow. What do the pictures you posted have anything to do w/using a duster?

Its to show you I spend all day fixing the mistakes of people that feel they know how to take care of their cars paint but have no idea what they are talking about. I hear all the time "I only take it to a brushless car wash. While better then a car wash that uses brushes the high pressure and strong chemicals arent good either. Like I said, Its just my advice. Do as you like.

How does it protect against acid spots from sap, bird crap and bugs? Because dirt, dust and water spots can all be washed, polished or buffed out but acid spots really do a number on your clear coat.

Its harder then your clear coat so it takes longer for the acid to etch into your paint, It also cant stick to it as well making it easier to clean. That doesnt mean you can leave it for ever. You should still clean it off as soon as possible.

-
Back