Dyno Day.

-
I am looking at the Torque converter as well but that may be next year. I like the gearing, transmission, VB as they are. Anything in particular you are referring to. I am considering a cam probably in the 241 duration and .600 lift range. Not too crazy. But something to take advantage of the high flow of the TF 240s.

The idle is not really lopey right now. A bit more would not be bad. The video above has some idle sound.
I'm pretty sure with 512 ci a 241 duration will be the same as mid 220s in a 440 with stock heads. Hopefully by the time you're ready to make a cam change I'll have some data from my 470 with trickflows I'll be running a 260-264 @.050 with a little higher compression 11.8:1. I figured this cam with my extra cubes should be a decent cam that would work on the street (not as daily driver lol), although I've changed directions & will only be raced. I guess what I'm trying to say is low to mid 250s duration would be minimum for your engine, remember your rod ratio is wanting to draw in alot of mixture, 241 would still be choking it out. PRH will be the guy to ask for the right cam though.

Last edited:
Looks like you are on track. I like the dyno time price rate, wish I could find that in Western Wash.
Is there any dynos in western Washington ?
I am most likely going to grays in McMinnville Oregon as soon as possible for dyno.
Hopefully Tim (yellow rose) finishes up his dyno soon in central Washington.

I am most likely going to grays in McMinnville Oregon as soon as possible for dyno.

One plus of going there is that plenty of TF headed BB Mopar combos have already been tested on that dyno to compare to.

Looking at the parts in the engine, the cam is probably the cork; a longer duration cam will make more hp.
Buuuuuuuuut, a cam is not like increasing CR or adding cold air induction. Both of these add power everywhere. Increasing cam duration will take tq from the low end & transfer it as hp to the top end. The single plane intake is not your friend at lower rpms. Plus, idle quality & vacuum will worsen & could be a factor if you have p/brakes. So a different cam needs careful consideration of all the parameters that will be affected.

I am looking at the Torque converter as well but that may be next year. I like the gearing, transmission, VB as they are. Anything in particular you are referring to. I am considering a cam probably in the 241 duration and .600 lift range. Not too crazy. But something to take advantage of the high flow of the TF 240s.

The idle is not really lopey right now. A bit more would not be bad. The video above has some idle sound.
Man, I tell you what. With those badass heads, I'd go with a pretty stout solid roller. That is, IF you decide to change it. It's probably a really fin ride just like it is.

Put some sticky tires on it and go to the track. That's the real test. You may be really surprised.
I would not make any changes till you do this and establish a baseline. Get it to the track b/4 winter sets in so you know where to go from here.

I would not make any changes till you do this and establish a baseline. Get it to the track b/4 winter sets in so you know where to go from here.

Unfortunately the track is closed this year and will not open until spring.

The dilemma currently, is that while I have a car that runs well for street hot rod and I can enjoy it like it is without any disappointment. I currently have a bit of an oil leak that will require me to remove the whole front end of the motor to replace the timing cover with a billet one from AR Engineering. So,,, now is the time to make a change to the cam if I am ever going to do so. I would like to think that this is the last time doing so. I am in contact with PRH and currently considering my options. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge. I will post any changes on my end. If any further info, bring it for my consideration.

Low maintenance is also important. I guess I want the Holy Grail of Cams

Last edited:
-
Back