Dynomax Super Turbos Suck

-

340sFastback

Reaction score
Well at least the offset in and center out suck. There is a MAJOR restriction in the layout of these mufflers, MAJOR. First off the inner pipes are on 2 1/4" on a 2 1/2" muffler. Second, and a much bigger problem, is when the exhaust comes into the offset side the first flow director sends the exhaust right into the center-out pipe and the exhaust has to go over and under that pipe to get to the other side. WTF!!!! This is a MAJOR restriction. This muffler should not be on a performance car!!!

I just took these off and put some Ultra Flows on and instantly felt better throttle response and an insane increase in top end pull. Was not expecting that much of a power improvement so I took the Super Turbos apart to find out why.

I would imagine the offset in and offset out Super Turbos flow pretty good though.

Attachments

• SuperTurbo2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,509
  • SuperTurbo3.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 3,423
  • SuperTurbo4.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4,248
  • SuperTurbo1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 4,405
Live and learn as they say! Ultraflows much better on a high performance car even though they are louder. Lots of guys running stock performance motor setups go with the Super Turbos since they are quieter of course that comes with more restriction.

At least you swapped them out! Congrats!

My only regret is I did not swap them out sooner:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDTmQBxn0gU"]Dynomax Ultra Flo Mufflers - YouTube[/ame]

This is a normal layout of "Turbo" mufflers and the down size in pipe diameter is a bummer, but, also a normal thing. Most mufflers are like this. Also note how some makers or models willl state, "Same tube size though out the muffler" in an ad?

I have used the Hooker Ultra Flo's in the past. Same as the one you have on the car now. You can see right through to the other side. Pipe size remains constant.

What part # are those mufflers?? I am running 2 1/2" Dynomax Ultra Flow part #17285 and not sure on flow but they got a bad drone at about 2000 rpm so I am looking to change them.

Those mufflers ain't hurting you, unless the drivetrain ain't up to what what you thought you have.

What part # are those mufflers?? I am running 2 1/2" Dynomax Ultra Flow part #17285 and not sure on flow but they got a bad drone at about 2000 rpm so I am looking to change them.

I don't know the number but they are offset in / center out with a 14" long body and 19" long overall.

As for the drone do you have an h or x pipe? If you have vacuum advance disconnect it and plug the hose and see if the drone goes away.

I had Dynomaxs set up in a true dual config on my Dakota, and the droning was horrendous. I sent them back under the satisfaction guarantee and installed a set of Magaflows instead..it sounded SOOOoooo much better, and made more power on the dyno.

I don't know the number but they are offset in / center out with a 14" long body and 19" long overall.

As for the drone do you have an h or x pipe? If you have vacuum advance disconnect it and plug the hose and see if the drone goes away.

Yep those are the exact same I am running. Yes I am running an 'X'-pipe. I am going to put on a set of the Ultra Flow welded this winter and see what difference it makes. I sure do like the sound of yours :supz:

Cheers

I guess I should rescue the ORIGINAL turbo mufflers (Walker/ Maremont Corvair turbo replacements) off the old Landcruiser and see how they are built

I remember YEARS ago one of the mags ran a 300 hp engine through JUST ONE original turbo muffler and claimed they only lost 5 hp.

I had Dynomaxs set up in a true dual config on my Dakota, and the droning was horrendous. I sent them back under the satisfaction guarantee and installed a set of Magaflows instead..it sounded SOOOoooo much better, and made more power on the dyno.

Were the magaflows louder than the Super Turbos?

I think he means less drone and more power.

I recently ordered a TTI exhaust kit for the cuda along with a set of dynomax VT's. With the hope of a drone free ride.

Thanks for posting pics of the super's

The magnaflows are only slightly louder overall, but they have zero resonance in the cab. They have more more of a mellow rumble (what I wanted).

The Dynomax units were "vroomy" in the sound. They were not loud at idle or at highway speeds, but anything during acceleration the resonance and overall loudness was horrible.

Ok.

But in regards to the overall noise level and loudness, did it get louder, the same, or quieter?

I recently ordered a TTI exhaust kit for the cuda along with a set of dynomax VT's. With the hope of a drone free ride.

Let us know. I am considering a set for my Magnum (79) since I want something to drive in and go very far with, without pounding my ears to deafness.

Sound bite?

Just a bit of info, the DynoMax center out mufflers still have significantly less backpressure than typical chambered mufflers so do not let the center pipe worry you too much. There is ample room for the gas to split and run around the outlet bushing. The longer 17748s are even better, relatively speaking, than the shorter, offset in, center out version.

Yes, regarding 300 HP through a single muffler, we found that you could run 12s with a large car with a big engine even through single exhaust. Runs much better with duals though. :)
Larger high HP engines do like straight through mufflers once you get up into the 400 HP range and higher, to the tune of a few HP increase at WOT.

Rumblefish, I have you some VT's for sale, made to fit right on the A-body cars (and that Magnum)! Reach me, let's talk [email protected]
Tom

After 38 years of using Big Daddy glass packs, Walker turbo mufflers, and Midas Turbo Kings on my 69 340 Swinger....I really got tired of loud exhaust. Now I'm using reproduction 340 'A' body mufflers from Accurate. Sounds a lot nicer and quieter.....and didn't affect performance any at all.

HotRod, same here. 340 Darts and Cudas have a tough time with loud mufflers and resonation and that is why I worked so hard to build the ones I have that are loud when I want to hear them but quieter than stock when I do not. :)
Tom

Dad had a set on his Road Chicken,took the off after two months.Seams that when you mount the right one upside down the flapper seams to rattle like a broken baffle.Sent them back to summit.:wack:

After 38 years of using Big Daddy glass packs, Walker turbo mufflers, and Midas Turbo Kings on my 69 340 Swinger....I really got tired of loud exhaust. Now I'm using reproduction 340 'A' body mufflers from Accurate. Sounds a lot nicer and quieter.....and didn't affect performance any at all.

I ran a full Accurate exhaust when I had my stock 340 in my car. Sounded good and ran good. After about two years the seams on both mufflers let go. And I never had any back fires. This was quite a few years ago so they may have improved them since then.

Muffler testing results
http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html

More than you probably want to know..

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/viewall.html

More yet...
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te..._mustang_muffler_comparison_test/viewall.html

And from right here on the forum..
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=41077

I met Tom Hand once on a Wednesday night many years ago at KCIR (which, thanks to a bunch of rich bastards, no longer exists) and he is a really nice guy and very informative to talk to.
It was a hoot to watch the little Dodge 600 whoop up on a lot of musclecars too. Glad he's here with us.

Alan

-
Back