E-85 440 Build Results

-

GaryKephart

Reaction score
I figured I would post the results, for those thinking about running E-85 in their street cars.

Combo:
440 block, line honed, custom main cap straps, not a girdle, but cap straps, with ARP main studs, BHJ block Trued for 0-deck, bored Tq plate honed to 4.350

Factory steel crank, ground and polished,
4340 H-beams, ARP 2000 bolts, 750 grams, and no not 440 source, but, I am almost positive, they are the same rod
Diamond dome forged pistons, Mahle Plasma moly rings, file fit
Custom solid cam, not overly wild, but no pooch either
Smith Bros Pushrods
Crane Gold roller rockers
M-1 single plane, with a bit of port work, and runner extensions added
Custom 810cfm Holley carb, that we tuned for E-85
MSD Pro-Billet
Heads:
452 factory casting, 2.14/1.81 valves, SOME porting, bronze guides, good valve job, etc
They flowed a bit over 280 at .700.

in(452) in(OTB Eddy RPM)

.100 82 69
.200 150 135
.300 215 192
.400 248 241
.500 272 263
.600 281 277
.700 282 275

The exhaust flows in the 220 range

The intake comparison, is from an OTB Eddy, and my ported 452's. They aren't absolutely maxed out, but do have a lot of work done to them.

The engine had 12.5:1 compression, to take advantage of the E-85, otherwise, there is no point in running it. 2 inch headers. Long story short, it made 584hp, and 582 ft/lbs of tq. We ran out of carb, as it was a Pro-form 750 main body, and, it was holding it back up top. I GAURENTEE there is another 20hp easy in it with more carb for sure. It also LOVED a 2 inch spacer, adding 20hp, which, is saying the plenumn/intake isn't big enough. I knew it would want one from the get go, but, we tried it at the end, and, my prediction was right. It would have been fun to try a ported Victor on it. There probably is 10-15 in the intake also. All in all, I knew it would make at least 580hp. I was hoping for 600hp, but, the carb was the monkey wrench in that plan, but, the potential is there. It would easily go well over 600hp, with a bigger carb, and intake.

It was really sensetive to plug index though. The Domes on the diamond piston would close the gap off, if they weren't indexed right, which, can happen on a domed piston. I noticed that during assembly, and called Diamond, and asked them if I should maybe notch them by the plug, and, they said it would work, so I left it. It worked, but, it needs to be indexed right, otherwise, is closes the gap on the plug, and it puts that cylinder out. But, once it was indexed, its fine.

The main deal, was tuning it on E-85. All I can say, is, its a VERY viable fuel to run. As far as carb work, its not all that tricky, and, it acts more like gas, than methanol, but there is definately mods to be done. Anyhow, 584hp, and 582 ft/lbs of tq, for a factory iron head, fairly mild solid cammed street engine, is pretty brutal. There are a lot of 500 inchers that barely make that power. The engine was incredibly responsive too. Its going to be so snappy in the car, it will be a blast.

It's not a mega rpm deal, The engine made peak hp at 5500. It was still making basicaly the same power, about 580hp at 5900, and 572 at 6000. The carb was holding it back though, that and the intake, thats why it basicaly flat lined above 5500. It was pulling over 950cfm thru what is essentialy a 750 carb. We didn't have a vac gauge hooked into the intake, but my guess would be close to 2 inches of manifold vac at wide open, from past experience, which is a big restriction.

As far as carb work, I wouldn't suggest just going to town on your carb, without tuning it on the dyno. I did a few things prior to the dyno, mainly to the idle side, and, was perfect at idle. It wanted fuel for sure, as it uses about 30% more, with air fuel ratios about 10:1. You don't need a dedicated methanol carb though. I know what I would do now on the bigger carbs. Don't expect great gas mileage though. But, again, its a good way to go. I paid $2.56 a gallon, where, the 92 premium, was $3.10. Granted, you use about 30% more, but, thats at wide open throttle. With a well dialed carb, the loss in mileage, wouldn't be that bad. The cost is probably real close to the same, when its all said and done, but, the main thing, is it allows big compression to be used on the street, without spending $6+ a gallon on race fuel. Plus, generaly, the hassle of getting the race fuel. Being in the midwest, we are one of the countries main producers of the stuff, so its easy to get here.

I want to put my 340 out of my drag car in my car cruise car and the only thing I am waiting for is E85 to come to my area, then it's game on. I am running 14:1 in it and the race gas would kill me. I am just going to purchase an alcohol carb being I will need one anyway because I am going to take off my tunnel ram and run a single four when I put it on the street. When you upgrade your carb would you be interested in selling the one you are using now? it would be just about right for my 340.

Chuck

Thanks for the info Gary. I was very curious as to what your combo was. It might be interesting to see what this would do with aftermarket, ported, closed chamber heads flowing in 300 to 320 range at .600 lift as well as the intake and carb changes.

Sounds like this engine is going to be a heck of a lot of fun on the street as it sits right now! :headbang:

Cam is a custom grind Comp. XTQ intake family, 264 at .050 Ex. is a XTX lobe family, 270 at .050. Lobe sep is 110, ground with 2 degree of advance. Lift works out to be .605 intake, and .600 on the ex. I will be going to aftermarket heads sometime in the future as well as changing the carb and intake. I'll also be adding NOS. That won't probably happen till next year.
I'll keep you in mind Chuck.

Will you run a separate fuel supply for the nitrous or jet the fuel side of the NOS injector for E-85?

Have you noticed accelerated oxidation of any parts of the fuel system? I keep hearing stories about how corrosive methanol is, and was wondering if you were experiencing the same probelms with E-85? (85% Ethanol and 15% gas for those who might be curious)

How much bigger did you have to go on the main jets? 30%?

Did you go with a high flow power valve, or just plug the power valve hole altogether?

What specifically did you have to do to the idle circuit? Smaller air bleeds?

I've heard that an 100% methanol engine will run cooler than a gas engine running the at the same power level. Have you found this to be true with E-85 as well?

Thanks for your time. I hate to bug you with so many questions, but you are the first person I've seen on this site who is successfully running a big power E-85 fueled Mopar. I'd like to be the second (or third if chuck beats me to it). :blackeye:

-
Back