E body Project Value

-

ScamperTom

Supposed to be working
Reaction score
I don't know much about valuation. Just curious about a car I saw on craigslist.

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 6.36.46 PM.png

1974 Dodge Challenger

I know there's only one pic of the car, so hard to tell the condition, but does this price seem low? I've seen absolute rust buckets for more. Is the seller just being fair?

You'll never know until you see it in person. But it looks like it's been sitting since the fall - wet leaves on the cowl = big rust problems. It is a huge project, surely.

Good price considering what he could get for it in the right venue. I’ve been offered 6K for my junk. And it’s a lot worse than that.

Considering the prices are crazy for e-bodies, that appears to be a deal for $1,500! I’m surprised no one has scooped that up yet since it is 5 days old.

Looks like a good deal to me. Unless the frame rails are complete garbage I would say its a good deal.

1974 last year. I believe production on E bodies stopped in march 1974 due to a lack of interest in them.

5 years of the same body with no real change in styling can be a little boring when some years were a 1 or 2 year only body style.

They look the same as they did 10 years ago. Just think they could use an update to reflect the powertrain improvements.

Hell, I know that. But this is today not yesteryear.

Chit, you go tell the new buyers what they probably already know. Then go tell Doege they suck for not making decent updates.
:lol:

Hell, I know that. But this is today not yesteryear.

Chit, you go tell the new buyers what they probably already know. Then go tell Doege they suck for not making decent updates.
:lol:
Haha well I guess they’re still making money... Just gotta give it to ford for the mustangs styling updates. At least dodge isn’t afraid to still build real muscle

I recently sold my ‘14. I needed a truck. (Got a ‘18 RAM) If I was to get another modern muscle car, it would be the current year (what ever that is I make the purchase, but I like the current styling) triple black red eye.

Soon, I’ll be working on my ‘73 Cuda. It’ll look stock on the outside, mean mutha on the inside. (Engine)

AC809EF2-9334-4A5B-BC34-5EC7E2AD9F8A.jpeg
E695039D-DB8D-459D-BFB5-BB92AB494156.jpeg
A382241A-17CA-44B2-9AD7-51DBF0577459.jpeg

Yeah, 74 was very limited production on E bodies. I have a 74 Cuda but im cloning it to a 71. In the E body world everyone wants the 70-71's. I think 71 was the best year for cuda and challenger.

As a friend of mine said, who just bought a 74 chally for 500... “after the 30k in AMD metal you would use, you could find a 74 teener car for 28 that is already done.” Not that it wouldn’t be fun, but probably needs rails, floors, quarters, cowl and who knows what else... not saying it isn’t worth it, but it sure is a TON of work

The issue with this example is it's the least popular E body... And given it's state the financial side makes it not worthy. I'd also note that's the same place the vast majority of A bodies are in too. And yet they get done... So "love" has a value, and more than dollars in most cases. Personally I'd rather not have a 72-4 Challenger. But I'd want a converted year car much less. I wouldn't build one for someone, nor ever buy one - but that's me. A 70 or '71, or any year Cuda will probably be worth it financially with the right choices for power plant. But Cudas are more valuable so that's just in line with that. IMO - the Challenger pictured is a $500/scrap value buy, and either a parts car or a labor of love. I wouldn't pay for it.

-
Back