E85 carbed 6.1

-
From what I've read and know about the stuff you mostly just have to jet the carb up to account for the lower power density of the fuel (need ~30% more fuel for the same power). You may not even have to touch the MSD settings, though you could probably bump the timing up a little since it's a higher octane fuel. E85 can actually be tuned to make more power than gas because of that, but you have to dump so much fuel in you loose an awful lot of miles per gallon if you care about that.

You'll need new jets, power valve, metering block, high flow needle & seat, accel nozzle, and pump diaphram. I've done quite a bit of research on the conversion from gas and decided it's better (for me) to send in the carb to a company who does the conversion and let them build it for you. Most also will flow test or dyno the carb on a motor before they send it back to you. I am going to send mine to the guys over at www.raceone85.com. They will do the conversion for $350 and dyno tune the carb on a motor for you. It's only $50 less for the self installed kit (for 4150 style Holley)and you'll have to tune it yourself. The $50 extra is worth that in my mind. I also want to ask why do you want to switch over to E85? Unless you're having to run race fuel, the drop in fuel milege (30% approximately) outweighs the cost difference in fuel from gas and E85. If you don't care about mileage, I say go for it. I am only switching because I have to run race fuel and race fuel is anywhere from $5-$8 more per gallon than E85. I don't think you have to mess with your ignition box. They do recommend a certian type of spark plug for E85 though.

I was going to run e85 with a supercharger, but I decided to scale my build back within my means. From everything I know about e85, I would NOT use it unless I needed the additional anti-detonation advantages it offers. Like Clint- switching because it's e85 r race fuel. And I'd only do that if the savings were significant (which they are vs race fuel). Is e85 more than 30% cheaper than 93 for you?

A lot of fuel pumps and lines don't like e85, FYI...

93 octane doesn't exist here anymore...
95 octane is now 1.7 euro (2.3 USD ) makes approx. 8.70 USD per Gallon...
E85 is 1.1 euro (1,48 USD) makes approx 5.55 USD per Gallon....

I drive around 2000mls per year...

I'm only thinking.

My suggestion would be to look up quickfuel's line of carbs for that fuel specifically. it'll cost you some money but we worth it for the quality of carb your getting.

As stated above, e85 is very corrosive. The aluminum fuel lines wont last very long, and either will the fuel level sender. Just a few things to keep in mind.

Speaking from experience, not google. I have seen first hand what that fuel is capable of doing to your fuel system. Good luck keeping moisture out. All of these new vehicles being built that a "flex fuel" have special fuel lines installed to prevent the corrosion, same with the fuel sending units. The fuel tanks are made from plastic and not affected by the fuel. Our old cars with the metal tanks sure are.

I am doing it soon on my 408 stroker. The guy who is doing it prefers a Holley but is doing my Edelbrock 800. Rejetting, new metering rods and air bleeds. E85 is 105 octane and allows way more advanced timing and more power. It will definitely use more fuel, but so what? You don't build a power motor for gas mileage.

Thanks so far, guys. A different Tank makes sense. Lines are plastic already. Except of some connestions made of rubber. So it's all about the fuel cell and carb....

So sounds like all ya need is money then! Lol but yeah buy yourself a nice plastic fuel cell with a fuel level sender and get a proper carb(still gonna push the quick fuel stuff as their already set up and ready) and get to making delicious smoky burnouts. Good luck!

I bought all all my lines, fittings, filter, pump, and regulator to be E85 compatible. The carb will be soon. The only thing that I was worried about was the new 20 gallon aluminum fuel cell since it is bare. I didn't want my plastic cell anymore since it wasn't quite as nice looking as an aluminum cell. Some guys have had no corrosion issues with the aluminum cells and some have. I'm not taking the chance so I found a local place that is going to anodize the fuel cell inside and out so the E85 won't corrode it. I had to call around quite a bit to find a place that would do that. Most said it couldn't be done, but it can apparently. Something to consider. I would try to get anything that's bare aluminum anodized.

You might be able to just get some sort of interior coating as well. I had a motorcycle where the tank had a really nice rubber/plastic coating on the inside. No worries about rust and it was pretty tough stuff too. Not sure what kind of fuels it was rated for though. You just dumped some in the tank and rotated the tank around to coat all the surfaces, had some decent thickness to it.

-
Back