eagle rods?? Good \ Bad

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
I Might be getting a set of eagle SIR I beam rods.

The rods were made in 2002 and lived in a stroker small block for a short period of time.
The engine smoked the cam and then was taken apart -- i was told.

I was wondering who has used them and if you had good luck with them.

***Please let me know the production date of the rods you used***

I have heard the new rods like to go out of round on the big end (crank) and break at the base due to stretch and also twist and snap.

I heard this from a stock class -drag race- engine builder.

He used the rods before and never had a problem ,but then all of a sudden the newest engines he built with these rods started breaking.

What do you think? :???:

I can't speak from experience, only what I've read, but I wouldn't use NEW Eagle SIR rods let alone ones that came out of an engine that had problems. Just my two cents...

New,not bad.A set of scats with a 7/16 bolt at about three bills?You take your choices.

I've used two sets. The first SIR rods had metalugy issues that were not visible and caused them to snap apart under stress. They got a bad rep then, and I never used them until a customer gave me some that he had ordered to use. Since then, I've used one other set. I've also used Eagle H beams, and K1. I have not used Scats, but the Scat and K1 I think I heard were using the same supplier. K1s just had more/better inspection or something like that. The SIR rods finish machining was pretty good on the two sets (1 set 3 years ago, one set 2 years ago). I cycle all my new rods three times, torque to spec, and then measure using a bial bore gage. The only set I needed to have resized was a set of Eagle H beams back in 2005 IIRC. All others were fine. I wouldnt hesitate to use them in anything that was under 500hp.

How did he say the new ones were breaking? And under what conditions? A lot of things can break a rod. SIRs are not race-quality rods IMO.

They are only $75 bucks and look to be in good shape.
If i use them in my 273, it would be lucky to see 300 horse.

I went to the engine builders garage and showed him the rods and he must have miss understood what rod i was talking about.
I bought SIR I beam rods, but he thought i was talking about the eagle H beam rods.
I guess he had a few engines destroy the eagle H beam rods.
I guess it's kind of good news in a way that it was the most recent h beam rods.
I agree ARTIE ......they will work fine.
It says on the box that they where in the engine for 7000 miles.
I should look at that as a test run i guess.:toothy9:

-
Back