Early 70's brake conversion HOSES.

-

ajarofclay

Reaction score
Okay guys, after spending way, way too many hours scratching my head and trying to come up with a product or ideas, I'm done. I don't know why I spent so much time when like them or not, I know I can find answers among the membership on here. I'm on my second brake conversion kit. The first one IMHO was complete garbage and only chosen because it would allow me to keep my original upper control arms. I don't have a lot good to say about the kit I have now either but I can work with it. My issue that I need an answer for is both kits came with lines that would work on 73 and up models but they will not work with the frame mounts for 70 to 72 models. Please, does anybody have some solid input how I can adapt the supplied lines with later model ends to mount safely and securely to my frame, or have any knowledge of lines or adapters that will convert to my frame mounts. I fear I'm not going to like some answers but please throw them at me, I'm all ears. Appreciate any and all help.

The first question is which brake kit do you have, and what type calipers does it use?
That will affect which lines would be useable.
Also, why exactly do they not fit? Wrong length, incorrect fittings, or ??

Last edited:
When I needed longer hoses for the early calipers, Aspen/Volare worked well, and someone mentioned Camaro, but no personal knowledge of that.

The first question is which brake kit do you have, and what type calipers does it use?
That will affect which lines would be useable.
Tom's classic, out of Minnesota. mopar A B E body cuda charger disc brake conversion 12" rotors

s-l1600.png

When I needed longer hoses for the early calipers, Aspen/Volare worked well, and someone mentioned Camaro, but no personal knowledge of that.
Calipers are the 73 and later slider single piston style. Also the larger rotors used on some later models. I believe the aspen/volare models may have used them but the problem is the ends of my factory break lines that attach to the break lines have a D shaped fitting where it locks into the frame. The included lines in all these kits have a different end that doesn't fit.

Those appear to be the cop brake setup with drilled & slotted rotors.
You still haven't mentioned exactly why the hoses don't fit your brackets.
Are you front mounting or rear mounting the calipers?
If you are rear mounting the calipers and the hoses are too short; then yes, the F/M/J hoses are longer and will work. '69 Camaro disc brake hoses are said to work too, although I have not personally used them. Source them locally or from RockAuto or Dr. Diff.

If you are talking about fitting the hose into the metal flap with the U-clip, can you not spend a coupla minutes with a file to re-notch the "flap/D".?

Those appear to be the cop brake setup with drilled & slotted rotors.
You still haven't mentioned exactly why the hoses don't fit your brackets.
Are you front mounting or rear mounting the calipers?
If you are rear mounting the calipers and the hoses are too short; then yes, the F/M/J hoses are longer and will work. '69 Camaro disc brake hoses are said to work too, although I have not personally used them. Source them locally or from RockAuto or Dr. Diff.
Here are a handful of pics showing the differences. Everybody seems to have the fitting from the newer models that I posted here including Cass at DrDiff.

20231120_124029.jpg

20231120_123949.jpg

20231120_123936.jpg

20231120_124208.jpg

20231120_124159.jpg

IMG_20231120_130452.jpg

If you are talking about fitting the hose into the metal flap with the U-clip, can you not spend a coupla minutes with a file to re-notch the "flap/D".?
I had debated that but really think it would be a PITA. My likely remedy at this point was going to be to grind a flat on the line end of the new hoses. If I F that up I can buy new lines. I could also have ends put on these lines. The issue there is time as there will likely be a long delay getting the factory ends.

I had debated that but really think it would be a PITA. My likely remedy at this point was going to be to grind a flat on the line end of the new hoses. If I F that up I can buy new lines. I could also have ends put on these lines. The issue there is time as there will likely be a long delay getting the factory ends.

This is kinda part of hot-rodding, lol
You could do either, alter D or alter bracket, keeping in mind the actual "twist" in the hose is to keep the hose away from damage at any wheel position, including left/right, up/down.
There is SOME reason there.

Last edited:
This is kinda part of hot-rodding, lol
You could do either, alter D or alter bracket, keeping in mind the actual "twist" in the hose is to keep the hose away from damage at any wheel position, including up/down.
There is SOME reason there.
Yep, My head is swimming. I've actually fitted them with the wheels straight looking for where the "sweet spot" will be to grind the flat spot. :BangHead:

Buy the el cheapo aspen ones on rock auto and grind them on a belt sander or put them in a vice and cut them with a Dremel.

Or just round out the bracket. Or just buy a 5th ave for $500 (damn things are everywhere), return the brake kit, and rob the spindles and brakes off the 5th ave, sell the seats and rims, and scrap the car.

Here are a handful of pics showing the differences. Everybody seems to have the fitting from the newer models that I posted here including Cass at DrDiff.

View attachment 1716168801

View attachment 1716168802

View attachment 1716168803

View attachment 1716168804

View attachment 1716168805

View attachment 1716168809
I got a stage II kit from Dr Diff for my Duster and had the same issue. I talked with him about this and asked if he had any "D" brake hoses. He said no, but I could use my dremel and grind out the "D" until the hole is round and you can insert the new hose. Worked for me. Pretty simple mod.

I had looked into those before and thought that would work but, 1) as you stated, I'd need to search out longer lines and 2) those ends are actually the same as the tip inside the lines and wouldn't seat, they'd just butt up to each other. I believe they may make some with a brake line fitting that would work but that might get pretty frustrating unless someone knows the exact formula. I'd probably take a shot at reshaping my lines first at this point.

Was actually extremely simple. Just filed off the six points and then pre fit the hoses to find the sweet spot and filed the flats on them.

-
Back