Early A-body 90 degree oil filter adapter issue

-

65barracudaLA

Reaction score
6uwhX2i3Xpv5iA5EOrWHBGtIo=w756-h1007-no?authuser=0.jpg

I'm having difficulty getting the oil filter to fit between the frame rail and TTi dual exhaust in my '65 Barracuda. The engine is a '69 318 and the oil filter position should be identical to the '65 273, right? I have checked the engine position like the TTi instructions ask for and it's correct. Did I get the wrong 90 degree adapter? It's hard to read, but I think the part number is 2780998. If I'm not mistaken the right one should be 2463661, which appears to have a little bit different angle. I'm sure this has come up before with an early A-body - any ideas? I just don't want to buy another one that doesn't fit.

The filter location should be the same on a 273 and your 318. To me, it looks like the angle that the filter points is way different between the 2 adapters in the lower pic. I never knew there were 2 different ones, so you taught me something new today! I had planned on putting my 273 down in my Barracuda temporarily to get the adapter pointed the right direction with the Dougs headers, torsion bar and frame rail.

When you do get it fitting like you want, buy a copper washer to go between the bolt head and the adapter housing. That's the only way I have ever made them not leak. Doing that, you can get the full 50 ft lbs of torque on it without smishing the little Mickey Mouse gasket they give you for that location. The other 2 survive fine. I think the length of the big bolt is different between an aluminum 90 degree adapter and a steel one, so check that too before you crank on it.

yup, 2 different ones, I had this problem on a '66 Cuda Magnum swap.
Adapter off the original 273 was true 90deg.
The one off a 71 340 I had "in stock" was not.
Had to change them mid swap.

Unsure but I've read or heard that the difference is one is cast & one is aluminum

They actually made about 4-5 different versions of the adapters. The 2 pictured above in the first post are steel, just different cause one is a 273 and other is 340, probably only an issue on an early-A car. They made an aluminum one that looks cheap and different looking than the earlier versions, think it was from the 1980’s and was a stock unit, I heard these were known to crack where they bolted on. Then there was one made by Direct Connection, which looks stock other than its aluminum and has a different part number, the design might have been revised with a different number over the years also.

View attachment 1716023097

I'm having difficulty getting the oil filter to fit between the frame rail and TTi dual exhaust in my '65 Barracuda. The engine is a '69 318 and the oil filter position should be identical to the '65 273, right? I have checked the engine position like the TTi instructions ask for and it's correct. Did I get the wrong 90 degree adapter? It's hard to read, but I think the part number is 2780998. If I'm not mistaken the right one should be 2463661, which appears to have a little bit different angle. I'm sure this has come up before with an early A-body - any ideas? I just don't want to buy another one that doesn't fit.
It looks like you might be better without the adapter and that shorter filter. There is a base you will need to screw the filter onto. May be someone will stop by with a photo and part number. Like Oldmanmopar mentioned above.

As a guy with the 273 in his Barracuda and Doug’s headers…. Be careful of tightning the bolt. The 4 holes align and I tore the head right off trying to make the torque spec due to the aligned holes are the weak point. I had to buy a newer bolt and thicker gaskets to make it not leak. Also install the inner gasket on the bolt as well. Plenty of how to articles on here if you search “oil filter adapter.”

The newer bolt style has the holes either down to 2 or they are drilled four holes offset to prevent tearing.

In my stash I have a pair of NOS direct connection ones, the box says P3690884, adapter inside has 3690743 stamped on i, other has P4532633. The end of plugs are different and the part where the oil filter spins on is slightly different along with a few other numbers that were stamped in them. Other than that they are the same, one has less casting flies. These angles slightly but box says “permits 90° rotation of oil filter”

806CFBC7-CD55-4A8F-A069-43F10410779F.jpeg

DC31EAA8-2CBD-4E96-8887-01919F1342BD.jpeg

Here is the newer style, not sure exactly what these came on, you can how different it is. The hole inside is also larger, part number is 4179425

5791CD06-A7FA-4BA4-829C-C302EBFA1E11.jpeg

1195D53C-EC76-47A9-BA0C-5D3DCB8AF37D.jpeg

0F55C6A0-6BC9-4CF6-ABE7-D9DFFD38435B.jpeg

yup, 2 different ones, I had this problem on a '66 Cuda Magnum swap.
Adapter off the original 273 was true 90deg.
The one off a 71 340 I had "in stock" was not.
Had to change them mid swap.

Ok, thank you for that info. Now on to finding an early one, which I assume is part #2463661.

In the picture in the first post, it appears to me that a small diameter filter would solve your clearance issue. There are filters made that are the same diameter as the o ring on the adapter. That filter is clearly larger.

My 1973 Dart Sport 340 had a factory iron one. But ported it and then polished a DC one I had to replace it. I have 3 or 4 aluminium All the DC ii have see were aluminum, some had diff numbers but were same angle.

So for the early A-body you need part number 2463661. Here is a photo that shows exactly how they are different (correct one is on the right):

YtI1HKqcLrxfP8xCiF10owHBs=w1560-h878-no?authuser=0.jpg

I guess in '67 they made the engine bays bigger and changed the angle. Not sure why, maybe the oil flows better in that angle?!

-
Back