early A body engine swap

-
Well, looking back at your post #35, it appears that you have the wrong motor mount brackets. Will you have other problems (like header clearance) if the correct 64-66 V8 brackets drop the motor down? Don't know.
That is the key information I've missed before, thanks! I need to look into the brackets as well.

Edit: Or, my very first question is valid again. IF it looks like my current brackets are too high, could I work-around the issue just by changing the mounts into 2469 style thinner mounts, or the Moroso solid mounts? I got thrown off by the very next answer (#36) saying the mounts are too thin, because I didn't know the height difference between 273 and 360 style brackets. To be honest I'm still 100% sure I have understood the differences correctly.

Last edited:
Both transmission and rear axle have been changed by the previous owner, so I don't have any facts about the installation available. I suspect that at least the axle is in stock location since car seems to have stock rear suspension, but naturally angle of the axle could be different than it should be. Can you tell anything about the trans crossmember / mount from the pictures?
Nothing that would significantly effect the engine height, but, to me, it looks like the driveshaft is a bit short. That could cause a vibration. Also, I like to run the crossmember bolts the other way around, as in bolt heads in the front and nuts in the rear. I know, I'm a bit anal that way! :lol:

Question then remains, if the transmission crossmember and mount are both correct, why is the engine sitting too high? Issue being, that the header tubes hit the frame rail from below. If the trans mount is broken (which is 100% possible looking at the state of the engine mounts :lol: ), wouldn't replacing it push the transmission also higher, making the header clearance issue even worse?
The trans mount looks correct for 64-66, rubber is cracking not sure if split through, you will have to check. rear leaf spring front location looks stock. Time for testing, install the thicker insulator & check for clearance and driveline angle. If pipe is hitting frame, you have a few choices use thinner insulators and modify trans mount down, modify header tube for clearance, my last option is insert shim between K frame and frame rails. I would not use sold mount if driving on street.

The trans mount looks correct for 64-66, rubber is cracking not sure if split through, you will have to check. rear leaf spring front location looks stock. Time for testing, install the thicker insulator & check for clearance and driveline angle. If pipe is hitting frame, you have a few choices use thinner insulators and modify trans mount down, modify header tube for clearance, my last option is insert shim between K frame and frame rails. I would not use sold mount if driving on street.
Thanks for all the tips! I still think I'm going to order some thinner mounts as backup, and then start tearing into it as soon as I get the car back home. I'm also keeping an eye out for the shorter engine brackets and even different set of headers.

What do you guys think, would these be better brackets than what I currently have? https://www.classicindustries.com/product/ma4695.html
Just by eyeballing the pictures it looks to me those might be shorter, but I'm not sure and really don't want to waste 250 bucks (what those would actually cost me after shipping and taxes) if they end up being same height than my current ones.
They also have nice looking torque strap for early a-body which I could order at the same time, and get rid of the chain https://www.classicindustries.com/product/mn1936.html

What do you guys think, would these be better brackets than what I currently have? https://www.classicindustries.com/product/ma4695.html
Just by eyeballing the pictures it looks to me those might be shorter, but I'm not sure and really don't want to waste 250 bucks (what those would actually cost me after shipping and taxes) if they end up being same height than my current ones.
They also have nice looking torque strap for early a-body which I could order at the same time, and get rid of the chain https://www.classicindustries.com/product/mn1936.html
Post # 9 has information on a kit to get & post # 43 shows some left side bracket and mounts. Your brackets possibly look, correct? aftermarket kits, brackets & mounts could be different size then factory parts but have the correct total size. You need to get measurements and compare.

-
Back