Early A-body Headers

-

Commando66

She's a beaut Clark!
Reaction score
I am in touch with a local header manufacturer who has fixtures for the famous shorty headers for early A-bodies. This is a pretty large scale business that prototypes and makes headers for retailers (Mopars and Brand X). I would have to buy 10 sets for him to produce them. Would there be enough interest from FABO members to step up and get these made? Retail price would be $399. If you have questions or comments reply or send me a private message. I have not installed these headers, but many other members have. Check out the installs at the top of the page.

100_1580.jpg

100_1579.jpg

100_1578.jpg

So, what this appears to be is a cloning of the Spit Fire Headers built by Harold Johnson, right? If this manufacturer has a licensing agreement with Harold then you are golden. If not, better do some research and see if Harold took out a Patent on his design. I just installed a set of Spit Fires on my '65 Valiant and they were no picnic to install, especially the passenger side. Found these on eBay so nobody get your hopes up about Harold shipping again.
Bob

Does this outfit do all types of headers? I have a set of Cyclone fenderwells that are 1 5/8''. I'd like a set made at 1 3/4".

I don't have any pics of these installed in my car. The manufacturer only has one set built and he needs them as a reference. As far as legalities goes, I would welcome a call from Harold...so I can get my $$$ back that he stole. If there is enough people that want them, I will have 10 sets madeand show the install on my car.

Are these the same ones that were being supplied to Layson's at one time? It seems they were selling either Harold's headers or were licensed to have them built for their catalog? I think they were charging something like $150.00-$200.00 over what Harold sold them for from what I was told.
Bob

Are these the same ones that were being supplied to Layson's at one time? It seems they were selling either Harold's headers or were licensed to have them built for their catalog? I think they were charging something like $150.00-$200.00 over what Harold sold them for from what I was told.
Bob

I don't have any pics of these installed in my car. The manufacturer only has one set built and he needs them as a reference. As far as legalities goes, I would welcome a call from Harold...so I can get my $$$ back that he stole. If there is enough people that want them, I will have 10 sets madeand show the install on my car.

I've read a lot about this Harold dude. I'm old school. If he took some money from me and didn't produce the goods, I don't care if I had to fly across the country. Harold would have a whooped ***. I usually don't like to talk that way, but sometimes there are no words that substitue good enough.

sorry but way to restrictive, i would bet not much gain over a good set of magnum manifolds
Dodge 29

ps i would have a hard time making a 440 cubed small block breathed thru those

Is Harold back? 175 for a set shipped was just too good to be true, eh? If they want to repop headers, They ought to look at Ed's originals or something like TTI. Heck, they can buy my design once I get the #3 tube figured out.

I don't think Harold is "back" just yet. The last I heard he was doing another "re-design" of his Headers and is not ready to ship just yet. If he ever is ready to ship don't hold your breath while waiting. He promised me a set in 10 days last February and I still don't have my Headers, at least not from him. I found a set on eBay, brand new, and snatched them up. I can't blame StrokerScamp for feeling that way....I share the same feelings but luckily I had not sent any money. There are people that have paid for product and have been waiting over 2 years.
Bob

So, what this appears to be is a cloning of the Spit Fire Headers built by Harold Johnson, right? If this manufacturer has a licensing agreement with Harold then you are golden. If not, better do some research and see if Harold took out a Patent on his design. I just installed a set of Spit Fires on my '65 Valiant and they were no picnic to install, especially the passenger side. Found these on eBay so nobody get your hopes up about Harold shipping again.
Bob

I HIGHLY doubt that Harold has a patent on the design. He's a backyard fabricator. Layson's was selling and maybe still are selling headers that look exactly like Spitfires. I think we would have heard about it if Harold had gone after them. He just doesn't seem like the type to have the ambition to pursue legal action. I was one of the fortunate few to get my headers 2 weeks after I ordered them. Of course, I did COD.

I know they are not the best flowing header out there. The Doug's and TTI's flow much better and cost more. These are to be better than stock manifolds, no more, no less...except cost!

i may have a set of used ones for sale. We are doing a big block swap in our 66 dart and it had a set of these on it. I really dont know what there worth so if someone could clue me in on a value I can give a price.

I know they are not the best flowing header out there. The Doug's and TTI's flow much better and cost more. These are to be better than stock manifolds, no more, no less...except cost!
I've spent the last six months restoring perfectly the whole power train in my '65 GT. The last huge score was finding seperately an actual correct 8-3/4 rear with the 10" drums and located a perfect suregrip. I went high and low to find original power steering and the correct front rotor system that then of course caused me to go up to the 14" wheels with the small bolt pattern. I have been fighting my Mopar cronies tooth and nail to spend stupid to build it up to be as close to original as possible. I am finally breaking down to admit that I've got to modify for dual exhaust. This business of cutting away the piece of structure on the right side of the unibody to accommodate the right pipe and then rewelding a structural piece around it gives me the willies. Everybody says it's no big deal I just don't know who I would find or find pictures or plans on how to do it the smartest way. Most importantly, I probably would go up a size on the dia. of the piping but does this make any sense if I stick with the original cast exhaust manifolds?

Hey Frank, as you know the drivers side crossmember has the provision for the exhaust pipe. The easiest thing to do is duplicate that on the passenger side and you should be fine. Might even be easier to take two transmission cross members to make one, I am not sure if the bolt spacing is the same on both sides. If I was doing it and retaining the original cast iron manifolds I would go with the oblong exhaust pipe for the section the will pass under the passenger side and leave it alone! You can get them here:
http://www.ovalexhaust.com/ovaltubes.html

Oval tubes.JPG

I've spent the last six months restoring perfectly the whole power train in my '65 GT. The last huge score was finding seperately an actual correct 8-3/4 rear with the 10" drums and located a perfect suregrip. I went high and low to find original power steering and the correct front rotor system that then of course caused me to go up to the 14" wheels with the small bolt pattern. I have been fighting my Mopar cronies tooth and nail to spend stupid to build it up to be as close to original as possible. I am finally breaking down to admit that I've got to modify for dual exhaust. This business of cutting away the piece of structure on the right side of the unibody to accommodate the right pipe and then rewelding a structural piece around it gives me the willies. Everybody says it's no big deal I just don't know who I would find or find pictures or plans on how to do it the smartest way. Most importantly, I probably would go up a size on the dia. of the piping but does this make any sense if I stick with the original cast exhaust manifolds?

Just run the Dakota manifolds....or the 340 manifolds. They both fit and would be a huge improvement over stock. Especially if you could find some of the 92-93 Dakota manifolds. Those have 2.25" outlets. Even the standard size ones are a big improvement over the stock 273 stuff.

I do not see advantage of stuffing those ugly headders into my 65 cuda? WHere is defineable flow testing to tell me I gain Hp on my 318. The cuda runs great with my original exhaust manifolds with heat risers cut out. I can still change plugs and car puts out plenty of power, where is the gain from these headders? What does the dyno show compared to stock exhaust? I could spend that money to do other things!! I have a custome done dual exhaust that flows great, I would have to redo that also costing more money to redo welds existing. It does not compute to spend money not needed! I can use that for body, paint,cam ect. No gain = bad investment!!!

Commando66,
Do you have any takers on these headers yet? It sounds like a lot of naysaying on the design. I thought there was a demand for "Harolds" headers. It seems that whenever they come up for sale on FABO (which is infrequent) that they sell very fast.
66Cuda-S

That's what I thought too. I was trying to do a service to the A-body community (and a little revenge for ripping me off). They are the least expensive header that fits early a-bodies and flow better than manifolds. No more, no less.
Anyone interested in purchasing?

-
Back