Early A-Body Spitfire Headers

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
I called up Harold Johnson, the maker of Spitfire headers for early A-body cars this morning and left a message to see if he could make me up a set of headers for my 1964 Valiant. I heard that he was very hard to get ahold of, and that it takes forever for him to get you your headers. Well, guess what? He just called me bake 5 minutes ago and said I'll have the new headers by Mon or Tues. Better yet, they're $225 COD including shipping to my door. He said that he massaged them some more to make the fit easier. He also said that he is starting to make headers for the slantsixes. I don't know if any of you are using Spitfires, but I've checked all the options and these headers are by far the best price I've seen. I'll let you know when they arrive how the fit goes. Mike

P.S. If anyone is interested here is his email address and telephone number.
1-479-650-9989
[email protected]

I really almost wish he would stop changing the headers, even slightly - because what does 'better fit' mean? Does this mean they fit better on both auto and 4speed car? Is he testing it out both auto and 4speed? Could be making it better for one, but worse for another.

ValiantMike said:
Jahsh, are you using these on your car, and if so are you happy with them? Mike

Nope, I have the set - but am currently trying to figure out how to get the Doug's headers to work with my 10.5" bellhousing.

As I mentioned, the spitfires I have dump right down into my z-bar, so I started looking for other options. Might have been able to get it to work with lots of work from an exhaust shop.

Do you have a manual or auto?

I have manual 4spd. I'll let you know how they fit. Have you contacted Harold about the interference problem? I think I'll give him a call and ask him if that situation has been remedied.

I contacted Harold a couple of months ago, and inquired about Spitfires. He actually had a set already made, so I sent him a cashiers check, and he shipped them to me in a few days.

With the Spitfires in hand, I did a visual inspection on my 65 Cuda, and not seeing any glaring reason that they wouldn't fit, I shipped 'em off to Jet-Hot for a ceramic coating.

All said and done (headers, shipping, and coating) I spent about $430. Pretty reasonable, I think. Keep in mind, though, a right angle oil filter adaptor (another $100 +/-) is required, and you'll probably want new header gaskets and bolts, too (minimal cost).

Anyway, I haven't yet installed the headers, as it's been pretty cold of late here in Kentucky (and I don't have a heated garage). And I'm still debating whether or not to pull the transmission cross member out and modify it to better accomodate dual exhaust. You may want to do this, as well.

When I spoke with Harold, the changes he mentioned were simply to make some of the tubing a little larger for better flow. Specifically, I was told that he increased the size of the collecter tubing (where 2 tubes come together into one tube - that tube is now larger).

Does that make sense?

I have not installed them on my 64 yet. I am running an auto.

Thanks,
Clint S
San Gabriel

PolarBear, that sounds great. Now I'm thinking about the ceramic coating. How much did that cost, if you don't mind me asking? I have the right angle oil filter adapter on car already. Its' got fenderwell headers on it now and I want to replace them. I want to make it more street friendly. Mike

There's guys on the Early Valiant/Barracuda mailing list that have had PROBLEMS with Spitfire headers. Specifically, bad welds. Don't get them hotcoated until you test fit them and make sure you don't need to BANG them anywhere for fit, or have to fix a weld or two. I'm serious.

A-body Joe. Thanks for the pics. You guys did a nice clean install there. Has there been any issues with header leaks or welds? Mike

ValiantMike said:
A-body Joe. Thanks for the pics. You guys did a nice clean install there. Has there been any issues with header leaks or welds? Mike

no problems at all...they really helped his car.. day/night difference over the 340 manifolds..

Mike,

If I remember correctly, shipping the Spits to Jet-Hot (Pascagoula, MS) was about $10-20, and the coating was about $185 (that's with the 10% discount I received).

The advice from Harold (and the other A-Body enthusiasts who have replied) should be taken to heart, though........ and that is - do a test fit before getting the ceramic coating.

I took a chance, and I may pay for it later.

Actually Kevin, I can't honestly attest to their drivability even though I've had this car for several years, I've probably not driven it over a mile or so. The fenderwell headers are pretty old and so is the exhaust, so I figured that I would just replace everything from the motor back. I don't really care for the headers going through the fenderwells and out in the front tire area. I'm going to pull them, patch up the fenderwells and go with the Spitfires and fab up a new exhaust. Mike

I spoke with Harold today, I am buying a set from him as well, and he said he will be going with a 3/8 inch flange beginning within a couple weeks. I am glad I found out about him.

-
Back