Early A Body Sway Bars

-
So is it unusual that my 65 wagon came with a stock front sway bar? At least I think it is stock.

Timbolia, that is unusual that your wagon would have a factory installed sway bar. Does it look like this?

Attachments

• DSCN0521a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 338
Yes. I've only seen one non-Formula S '65 model that came from the factory with a front sway bar.....and it was a wagon too. It was a bit more common in '66 but still a rare option on a non-Barracuda model. If course, lots of them have one now with all the converting going on.

Timbolia, that is unusual that your wagon would have a factory installed sway bar. Does it look like this?

I can tell you right now it is nowhere near that clean. I had no idea it was there till another member pointed it out to me. I have to say I know very little about these things. What am I looking for to see if it is original?

I can tell you right now it is nowhere near that clean. I had no idea it was there till another member pointed it out to me. I have to say I know very little about these things. What am I looking for to see if it is original?
Those type mounting brackets shown in the photo.......

I finally got my front Hellwig kit, 55914, on my '66 Dart and it looks like the bar is a little too wide. The end link is at a bit of an angle and the lower ball joint is hitting the bar/endlink on lock out.

This seems incorrect. It looks like it needs to be bent in about 1" to clear. Are these bars sometimes too wide?

IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0596.jpg

Is the bar upside down? I would contact dave at hellwig and confirm you got the correct bar.

Yes. I've only seen one non-Formula S '65 model that came from the factory with a front sway bar.....and it was a wagon too. It was a bit more common in '66 but still a rare option on a non-Barracuda model. If course, lots of them have one now with all the converting going on.

My 65 is not a Formula S but it is a Commando car with a sway bar factory.

Is the bar upside down? I would contact dave at hellwig and confirm you got the correct bar.

flipping the bar over dose not make a difference... and besides... its as wide as it is, flipping it would only cause the center to hit the engine...

P/N is 55914. you can order them through Summit Racing for $240.99.

240.54 with free shipping amazon

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-55914-Tubular-Front-Sway/dp/B004I5EEKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339553026&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Hellwig 55914 Tubular Front Sway Bar: Automotive[/ame]

yea everything was going smooth until i got it centered and the ends of the bar were so far out...

i think it just a 67+ bar with early mounts...

Ill call them tomorrow. Maybe they shipped the wrong bar to the shop. I dunno. Either way, Mopar kid can make it fit :-D

Ill call them tomorrow. Maybe they shipped the wrong bar to the shop. I dunno. Either way, Mopar kid can make it fit :-D

hehe... a little heat and it will fit...

hey did you see the two posts about KH brakes and those brackets lol...

rear swaybar on my 64 dart not sure of the brand

Attachments

• 20120613_133730_800.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 20120613_133809_800.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 20120613_133834_800.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 212
Stop the beast...got any pics of the center brackets installed?
I am trying to figure out if a schumacker torque brace will work with the bracket on the driver side.
thanks

Txt me Ant with the verdict...

Talked to Dave again today and the measurements we have are inline with the Early-A bar. He said to set it to ride height before making any modifications because the arms will move and to set the mounting tabs for the end links more vertical. Did those get welded on as well?

Anyhow, we should try all that before modifying the bar.

OUCH - Something is not right here. Stop the beast verified the measurements with me and the bar was to spec. It shouldn't be that far out. With the tabs on the shock bolts, you will need to have some angle on the end links or they could hit the strut rods when articulating.

Stop the Beast - Please contact me about your fitment. If there is a problem with fitment, I'll send you a bar to match the dimensions you need.

-
Back