Early A dash pads

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 65 valiant dash set up, the frame and complete dash and I noticed it came with a dash pad. This is the first time I have seen a dash pad on an early A.

I also have a complete 63 dash and there is no dash pad and it doesn't look like anything is missing.

Was this an optional thing or did it come only on certain trim levels?? What's the scoop?

I think it depends what trim level the car was. 100 series Valiants probably not. The 200 and Signet models probably yes.

On the darts it came with the GT trim level, my 64 270 does not have a pad, but my 64 GT does have the pad.

65 'S'. Dashpad, cracks and all. My 9" drum 65 of 1985 did not have a pad, not even holes for it. Trim level? Would like to find a black vacuum formed cover for it through. Sun tach in place of old non CDI compatible SW tach.
20190207_220115.jpg

Also A Body Dart pads were a different shape from the A Body Plymouth dash pads. Even so one could install a Dart pad to a Plymouth dash (if the mounting holes were present or you did your own on the dash frame) or vice versa

I recently bought a 65 valiant dash set up, the frame and complete dash and I noticed it came with a dash pad. This is the first time I have seen a dash pad on an early A.

I also have a complete 63 dash and there is no dash pad and it doesn't look like anything is missing.

Was this an optional thing or did it come only on certain trim levels?? What's the scoop?

Here you have it @Rainy Day Auto , For 65. padded dashes were an option on all the Valiant models. Just for comparison, On the Dart line, the padded dash was optional on the 170 and 270 and standard on the GT. Thanks to @Alaskan_TA and his Hamtramck Registry website for the information.

65_Valiant0007.jpg

65_Valiant0005.jpg

65_Valiant0002.jpg

65_Dodge_Dart0014.jpg

All ‘66 As had pads, I beleive they were mandated as a safety feature. Plymouth & Dodge has a different surface shape.

‘65 and earlier were optional and depended on trim level; Signets & 200 got them and 100 didn’t.

All ‘66 As had pads, I beleive they were mandated as a safety feature. Plymouth & Dodge has a different surface shape.

‘65 and earlier were optional and depended on trim level; Signets & 200 got them and 100 didn’t.
Part of what you said is correct. I didn't look at the 66's (yet) See photos above.

EDIT: Yes, all 66 Valiants and Darts got padded dashes as standard equipment.

Last edited:

See my post above (photos) for clarification.

My 64 barracuda is all steel, guaranteed to knock your teeth out if you hit it.

After Ralph Nader's book came out in the early 60's, a lot of the safety issues he wrote about started to be mandated by the Feds.
Of course everyone remembers the "Unsafe at any Speed" Corvairs but he also pointed out things like spinner wheel covers and rigid hood ornaments causing injuries. (Of course they were safe as long as you didn't hit pedestrians.) He was concerned about people getting ornamentally stabbed when hit or having their legs cut like a Roman Chariot wheel. Padded dashes, seat/shoulder belts, soft knobs and handles, collapsible steering columns....stuff like that became required with each model year.

Ralph was a hero in his OWN mind!!!

I have had some Dart GT s in year of 63, 4,and 5 some , One had a padded dash others not, I forget which !

My 64 has a pad i'm having it recovered, the Barracuda's had 10" or so indentation in the middle where the darts where straight.

I agree engineering and auto safety have advanced over the decades, BUT IMHO Ralph Nader was basically a smart an opportunist.

Yes because the old cars used to be so much stronger, safer and better built
At least that's what I used to think u til I saw this
Not many people know but the 59 was an X frame so there is no frame for support in between the wheels except for the center X. Just my opinion but that is apples to oranges. I think that 59 took a good hit to the body and fared well for it.

I welded up the holes in my Valiant dash and eliminated the pad. looks cleaner to me.
My 63 valiant (signet) had pad, but I removed it too and had holes plugged. didn't know they were optional. didn't even think of replacing it. agree looks cleaner without

IMG_20180817_1930295.jpg

I recovered mine in vinyl. Used small sections of vinyl layered to get the shape, a complete covering in thin foam before the last layer of vinyl. came out ok. (top of the dash is covered on Moquette)

DSCF6693_zpsexfy33qb.jpg

DSCF6702_zpsp7idcux4.jpg

-
Back