Early A headliner ?

-

63 MorePar

Electric Larry
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good resource lead for headliners? I can't seem to find a turquoise one for my 63' 4 door. I would like to keep it the O.E. style with the pin holes/ perforations, but I may be dreaming. I can find other colors but what color would look right? It's a shame because only the stitching is rotted. I was going to try and restich it but I don't think I could ever get it back in the car as it has already been trimmed back. Nothing to work with. Thanks all!
Larry

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 007.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 211
  • 008.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 207
I got a new headliner for my $65 off ebay. I'll try to tell you what the box says when I get home. Yours looks like the material and color in my 65 Newport. I replaced that ~1992 from a place somewhere in the LA Basin. They said they had patterns going back to the 1920's. They sent me some samples to choose. Cost ~$60. I recall I found them via a J.C. Whitney purchase, from the box the head-liner came in for my 69 Dart. They had many more colors than J.C. Whitney listed, plus a little cheaper to order direct. No idea if they are still around, but you can buy almost anything in the LA area, especially for classic cars.

Gotta mention that I had a seam pop in my 67 GTX, but the headliner was in such good shape I was in the same place as you. Material for mine would've cost $300 (copper interior/NOS material only) that I took it to my upholstery guy. He told me to take it out and he would sew it up and it would go right back in with no trouble!!

Guess what?? He was right!! It is just the smallest bit off and you can see a small shadow around the metal trim above the doors, but to me it's much better than the $450 I was gonna have to pay!! Just sayin'!!

Now, you can contact Jeff at Deutchmann Automotive and see if your headliner comes in your color, and if its available in that color for a 4 door. He not only owns the business but he has a few early A's himself and know the cars!! Plus, he's always at least $5-10 cheaper than everybody else!! 419-352-7894!! Good luck, Geof

I got a new headliner for my $65 off ebay. I'll try to tell you what the box says when I get home. Yours looks like the material and color in my 65 Newport. I replaced that ~1992 from a place somewhere in the LA Basin. They said they had patterns going back to the 1920's. They sent me some samples to choose. Cost ~$60. I recall I found them via a J.C. Whitney purchase, from the box the head-liner came in for my 69 Dart. They had many more colors than J.C. Whitney listed, plus a little cheaper to order direct. No idea if they are still around, but you can buy almost anything in the LA area, especially for classic cars.

Thanks Bill! Let me know what you find on the box when you have time.
I forget about ol' J.C. Whitney , I'll check them out!
Larry

Gotta mention that I had a seam pop in my 67 GTX, but the headliner was in such good shape I was in the same place as you. Material for mine would've cost $300 (copper interior/NOS material only) that I took it to my upholstery guy. He told me to take it out and he would sew it up and it would go right back in with no trouble!!

Guess what?? He was right!! It is just the smallest bit off and you can see a small shadow around the metal trim above the doors, but to me it's much better than the $450 I was gonna have to pay!! Just sayin'!!

Now, you can contact Jeff at Deutchmann Automotive and see if your headliner comes in your color, and if its available in that color for a 4 door. He not only owns the business but he has a few early A's himself and know the cars!! Plus, he's always at least $5-10 cheaper than everybody else!! 419-352-7894!! Good luck, Geof

Thanks Geof! I guess it has to come out either way so maybe I will look closer as trying to repair it. Like yours it's damn near perfect..except the seam. I will call Jeff as well and see what he has to offer.
Thanks guys!
Larry

Try just lowering the back section and hand stitching the seam that has come undone. The stitching holes are already there. Then ease it back up and use a hair dryer (or carefully use a heat gun) to make it stretchy and stretch it back into place a little at a time on each side and the back.

I too have had the upholstery shop re-stitch a headliner.
May I ask about you gauge cluster ? Looks great.What speedo are you using and if it has a screw on cable housing at the head and trans.? What was the source for the cable ?

Rock auto carries early A headliners. Not sure about the color. Mine was black that I ordered but it was cheap and matched the factory pattern.

Try just lowering the back section and hand stitching the seam that has come undone. The stitching holes are already there. Then ease it back up and use a hair dryer (or carefully use a heat gun) to make it stretchy and stretch it back into place a little at a time on each side and the back.
Thanks Bamacuda, I think I will try that. The bow and pocket are still up in the roof. I will remove the bow and see if I can hand sew the pocket back into the liner seam. Nothing to loose right!
Larry

I too have had the upholstery shop re-stitch a headliner.
May I ask about you gauge cluster ? Looks great.What speedo are you using and if it has a screw on cable housing at the head and trans.? What was the source for the cable ?

Thanks Darter6! The gauges are TPI Tech and the speedo is an electric programmable one. No cable. I run a 727 and used the supplied transducer. It required a little trimmind on the cross member to fit but has worked flawlessly for 10+ years. It is very simple to program; push a little button, from a dead stop drive a measured mile and push the button again, voila! It keeps it's memory if you kill the battery and very easy to recalibrate when you change gears or tire size. I made the pannel myself out of stainless. I wanted the gauges to look symmetrical, so I shuffled things around a bit. Notice the ignition switch? It took a little getting used to but I like it. Hope this helped!
Larry

Attachments

• DSC01303.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC01302.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 152
  • dart fab 004.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 162
  • dart fab 001.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 147
WOW ! Thanks for the photos and info. This will be a big help when doing the dash on my 64 Dart.

-
Back