Early A radiator

-

65cuda360

Reaction score
I need to get a radiator for my 65 barracuda. I'm putting a 360 in with the 70's aluminum water pump. I plan on running ac. What are my options for a radiator that will work with the water pump outlet on the opposite side from the 273? All the later stuff seems too tall. I'd like to not spend over $250 on one.

I got a $200 copper radiator from Autozone a few years ago. It was the first Dart one they listed, maybe 1971. It fit the opening fine, but I did have to drill 4 holes in the bracket to match the factory holes. It has a 1.5" D lower tube (passenger side), whereas the small block alum w.p. is 1.75", so I put a rubber bushing adapter on the radiator (might just cut some 1.5" hose). Makes me suspect the radiator was for a slant w/ AC, though the tube isn't angled like slant radiators usually are.

I later got a new aluminum Be Cool radiator off ebay for only $80. If might have just fit the Dart had I cut the frame rail lips off (would fit a 67+ bay). I put it in my 65 Newport instead. I also got a used B-body radiator, and it was too tall to shut the hood, as you found. Many choices out there, so don't jump into anything. I feel stupid having paid $200, since the radiator sat over a year anyway while I worked other issues.

I went to the alum w.p. because of the Autozone radiator, plus it was 1/2 the price. That made me change my p.s. pump to a Federal and play around with pulleys, but finally made things fit.

I was wondering about the 70ish stuff. I don't mind drilling holes, just don't want to cut the car up too bad. And I might be able to give you a run for your money on the cheapest bastard part!:D

check out ledfoot racing, AE2374, $189.98, or EC2374 for $169.98. the top 2 bolt holes require modicifaction to fit your existing core support, however it was a direct bolt in otherwise for my 66, and im running a 70+ aluminum water pump as well. never had a cooling problem, and every seam is tig welded and looks awesome, im very happy with my unit.

Im running a parts store radiator specd for a 70 dart 318 in my 65. It bolted right up without any drilling that I can recall.

Anybody have ac on their early a with a later (70s) motor. Any cooling problems?

Okay, Im digging this thread back up, because Im having issues figuring out what radiator will allow me enough clearance to run an electric fan on an early A. The radiator im running right now is a stock 70 dart unit. The front side is set back a couple of inches toward the engine, and it places the core about 1 1/2" from the nose of the water pump. I dont want to run a pusher fan, but I really need to get rid of the fly swatter that Ive got on there now. Direct drive fan is sapping up a ton of power, and there is no room for a clutch fan. If anybody has used a radiator with more clearance on the engine side, please let me know!

I ran a stock 73 318 Dart 2 core rad with clutch fan in my 66 Dart with 410c.i.I had no cooling issues at all.I,ve now swapped to a Moroso waterpump motor and electric fan to free up HP.Yet to be determined.Here,s a pic..

Attachments

• 2012 66 DART 043.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 175
-
Back