Early Dart/Barracuda Sport Steering Wheel

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How rare are they? Ive always liked the look of them, just picked one up for my 65 GT Coupe. Wasn't easy (for me) to find either.. And also what about front and rear bumper overriders on a 65 GT, how unusual are they?

Thanks.

Attachments

• dart20.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 302
  • dart21.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 280
For the 65 Dart they produced some 6500 cars with this steering wheel. What is an overrider? Is it the rubber pab between the the rear bumper and the body corners?

overrider-- is an aussie term for the bumper guards ,Lawrence

I had that wheel in my 65 Valiant. I don't their value or rareness, but they are cool. I need another one.

I don't think they're that rare. When I bought my 65 Barracuda a couple years back it came with 3 of em.

I like the look of those steering wheels too. I think a lot were made but it is now difficult to find one with the plastic "wood" rims that isn't cracked and /or the spokes aren't pitted. There are some talented people that restore them and I bought a restored one for my car for when I get it on the road (hopefully this spring).

I do like the position of the spokes on the stock two-spoke steering wheel because I like to drive with my hands at 4 & 8 o'clock.

My 65 GT 'vert came with and was coded for one according to the build sheet. Also my 65 Barracuda and soon to be parted out 65 Signet 'vert came with them, plus I've managed to grab a few more as spares. None are cracked and have little to no pitting on the spokes. They are probably worth a C note in decent shape, maybe more on ePay depending on how the bidding goes.

My 65 GT has one as well. They can be fairly expensive to buy as it was also used in B-Bodies. I remember my brother's 67 and 66 coronets both had one in it.

Every one I have seen has been cracked and seperated up on top, but I have not seen many.

None of the 3 I have could be considered "nice". ;)

Oh well, I'll keep looking. What ticks me off is that SOMEWHERE I should have my original one. No cracks, no pitting, one small cigarette burn in it & the woodgrain worn off. I know I kept it but all I can find is the center cap. Either I hid it really well or it was stolen out of my storage area along with a few other items that disappeared a few years ago. Wish I could find it because I pulled it off of the car in 1976 or so, about 2 years after I bought the car.

-
Back