Early front pulleys/ps pump. Onto 1970+ 360. What needs changed?

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Good Afternoon all,

Hoping you can help me, help help a customer.

Customer has all stock bracketry off a 1968 318. from his running/driving barracuda.
it had the early driver side dump water pump.
i have confirmed it has a saginaw PS pump, not a federal.

He has bought my 408, which for this discussion, is a LA360, with LA timing cover, and LA alum water pump with passenger side exit WP.

His "early" ps bracket will not work. (my oversight)

I found this bracket for a saginaw pump, and for the passenger side alum WP he has on the engine.
upload_2020-3-30_14-31-45.png

my concern, is if i get him this bracket, his original pulleys will not line up, and we'll just chase our tails forever.

Anyone done this, have any wisdom for me? As simple as buying this bracket, or no...

thanks all.

Good Afternoon all,

Hoping you can help me, help help a customer.

Customer has all stock bracketry off a 1968 318. from his running/driving barracuda.
it had the early driver side dump water pump.
i have confirmed it has a saginaw PS pump, not a federal.

He has bought my 408, which for this discussion, is a LA360, with LA timing cover, and LA alum water pump with passenger side exit WP.

His "early" ps bracket will not work. (my oversight)

I found this bracket for a saginaw pump, and for the passenger side alum WP he has on the engine.
View attachment 1715497032

my concern, is if i get him this bracket, his original pulleys will not line up, and we'll just chase our tails forever.

Anyone done this, have any wisdom for me? As simple as buying this bracket, or no...

thanks all.
That is for the later 70+ setup and youll need the later pulleys if you go that route. I have the correct pump and brackets if youre interested.

Jake

That is for the later 70+ setup and youll need the later pulleys if you go that route. I have the correct pump and brackets if youre interested.

Jake
Thanks,
He bought a new radiator and everything to match the passenger side WP. So too bad it isn't an easy fix.

You just need the pulleys then?

Jake
what all pulleys would need changed? Just WP and Crank? or the PS pump and Alt spacing wonky too? (if i get him that PS bracket from my post)

Yeah, if he has the 64-69 water pump and crank pulley as well as matching power steering pump you'll need to switch all of that. Im not sure you can use those brackets on the early pump, youll need the correct pump. Do you have any pictures of what is on there now?

Jake

Yeah, if he has the 64-69 water pump and crank pulley as well as matching power steering pump you'll need to switch all of that. Im not sure you can use those brackets on the early pump, youll need the correct pump. Do you have any pictures of what is on there now?

Jake
it 100% has a saginaw pump PS pump. i do have pictures of that.

U will need the 70 up pulleys. The alt brackets just may need to be spaced out, u may need a longer thru bolt also. The 70 up brackets for the p/s can be found easily also. Kim

Thanks all. I'm just going to get him hooked up with an aftermarket Front drive. Chasing pieces parts is going to be more trouble than its worth.

Cant he just build the front of the 360 like a 69 and older LA , using the water pump from his 67 (or a new 69, and older WP)
You will gain an inch of clearance to the radiator also, helping with fan clearance. He should be able to use all the 67 stuff.
Dave

Cant he just build the front of the 360 like a 69 and older LA , using the water pump from his 67 (or a new 69, and older WP)
You will gain an inch of clearance to the radiator also, helping with fan clearance. He should be able to use all the 67 stuff.
Dave
He Has purchased a passenger side outlet griffin radiator to match the passenger side water pump on the stroker 408.

He bought my dressed BluePrint 408 with the common 1970+ damper, timing cover, water pump.

I admit I did not know the early power steering bracket bolted to the early WP. So i needed to help him figure out what's going on with the pulleys/brackets.

So...few things going on here, but ultimately aftermarket pulleys/brackets are my best solution vs trying to mix and match any early/late brackets and pulleys.

So long story short, lesson learned on early water pumps being something to be aware of.

-
Back