easier to pull just the motor or motor and tranny as one?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
I needa swap out my blown sixxer. The tranny is fine but im wondering if it's easier to swap it out as a unit or just the motor?

we always pull the motor and trans and then put the motor and trans back as one as well slow easy and steady wins the race

haha i bet it does suck -_- lol. how do you drain the TC? is there a plug? ive never undone an automatic from a block, only a manual. do i have to keep anything lined up?

haha i bet it does suck -_- lol. how do you drain the TC? is there a plug? ive never undone an automatic from a block, only a manual. do i have to keep anything lined up?

The only car I've ever seen a plug on the torque converter was a Mercedes. You'll just have to flip it over, over night in a bucket.

I always disconnect the TC from the flex plate and pull just the motor...with a jack under the tranny to keep it suspended until I can tie it off. I find this much easier than having to dick with the driveshaft, tranny cross member, linkage, etc... To each his own. :-D

All of the TF's I've owned had drain plugs on the face of the convertor-it's actually a soft 1/8" pipe plug. (Between the flex plate bolts)

X2 with Hotwheelsjr on just pulling the engine. And while it's apart would be a prime opportunity to replace the front pump seal in the trans.

Have Fun!

thanks guys, i might just end up doing the whole thing since i wanna spray the bottom with some sort of spray on bed liner or undercoating to protect it a bit from the elements...it looks good tho. rust though anywhere. gotta love southern cali =]

the slant is a bit longer than a v8 so with the trans connected you have to be real careful to not damage wiring,paint etc if the trans is still hooked to it, so i'd say much easier to seperate them and pull just the engine and go back for the trans if you really want it out...you'll see when you do it.....Wagg's

Go ahead and do a "Chip Foose" and see how far you get in trying to pull a smallblock and
auto trans as a single unit? Ha!!! you either beat up the oil pan on the radiator support or you could just use an old Sox and Martin trick and cut out the top of the radiator support and bolt it back in latter. Been there done that, never again. Be smart
and work safe. Always pull engine separate from transmission. And watch the fluids,
Drain them first. 1967 Dodge Dart Gt, now with stroke 408 ci, 727 running 3:55 in the 8-3/4 rear till it explodes..... Arnie.

I always like dropping it out the bottom like the factory did it. To me that's the easiest way. Especially if it's an early A.

I used to always pull them out as one unit until I realized it's actually easier to pull the engine only if that's all you need out.

I always like dropping it out the bottom like the factory did it. To me that's the easiest way. Especially if it's an early A.

i just recently saw this forum. this is the way i go . it save a lot of trouble. you dont wreck your headers, scratch the fenderwells, and spend all dam day trying to line everything back up, plus you can really get to all the places in the engine compartment that you want to clean and or paint. that kinda gives it that "someone meant to do it" look.

I will say that lower them out the bottom would be the eazier way to do it, IF you have 1)a hard surface under the car 2)a way to move them from under the car and 3)a way to lift the car over the motor to pull them from under the car. But without the k-member you cannot move the car around without more jigs.
If you pull them out together above the car, you need to raise the rear of the car to get enough clearence to get the motor/trans to tilt enough to get them out. I placed the rear tire on some old wheels and boards to do this. A leveling tool would be good to have so you can tilt them them level them as needed. You will need to unhook everything from motor and trans so more things to unbold. Takes more time. And after you pull them out you still have the wheels on car to push it out of the way.
If you just pull the motor you will need something to hold up the trans till you get motor out of the way then just wire it up.
no matter what way you choose I would take the radiator out so not the damage it. Also pull the trans to service. I have found that takeing them out together from the top is pretty easy if you take your time. once out unbolt them. and since you have the trans out change fluid, filter and seals. even put a coat of paint on it.
I have no way to pull from bottom, so I did not do that. I have done the other ways but found pulling them out together was easier for me. Everyone has their own way of doing it. So just like any resto, make a plan before you start. Have fun, good luck and get to wrenching.:-k
Oh and friends would be a good tool, not friends that are tools:wack:

V8 is easier to do the pair, shorter. Those bellhousing bolts are a pain in a 65, there is like 1/2 inch down there to get a wrench on. The 6 is longer and I ended up pulling that as a pair too, but that sucker is LONG. The 6 head has 2 threaded bosses on top that curiously are balanced to pull either the motor alone (front boss) or the pair (rear boss). The plate that is used is like a 1/4 inch bent L bracket with a bolt hole and a sling hole. Remove radiator and duct tape a cut aspirin bottle in/over the trans seal to keep the juice in (youll no doubt disturb a long red combo trans plug on the way up and out, been there) Remove hood too as its gonna get pretty high to clear the rad support. Load leveler is great to tilt it up, lift, roll back, lift up again, roll back farther level off and pull out. Come to think of it...I think next time Ill just do the motor! 4 convertor bolts, 6 or so bell bolts and hoist it straight up and out.

-
Back