easy engine mounts

-

mrspeeddemon

"The Chrysler Kid"
Reaction score
Ok after reading countless post about engine swaps and "how-to's" buy a $150 schumacker kit, ect... I decided to try and help some people out.

I figured this out when I was working on a 71 /6 Duster I was selling to a guy- he wanted me to mount a V8 in it, so I built up a little 318 (85' if it matters) and started to contemplate on how I would modify the mounts to fit the V8 as I didn't have a V8 K-frame and wasn't making alot of $ off of the job. Then while taking a break from "working/thinking" I was thumbing through a mopar mag and saw the Schumaker add. something looked really familiar about their kit... So I went over to my parts pile and dug for a minute or two and tada! a truck motor mount, I placed the truck mount on the right side of the engine and a stock early V8 mount on the left side. Now for the insulators, this is where my memory gets fuzzy- I know that one was a stock 71 Duster V8 insulator and the other I think was listed under 68' Charger? or similar- the same design but about 1/2" thicker. The thicker one goes on the Right and the thin one goes on the left. I checked and rechecked every measurement I could think of against my stock 74 swinger and a buddies stock V8 Demon, and everything was just right. I Just want to help a few people save some money- I just don't see the point in that price for such a simple swap. :thumblef:

Thanks, this is some great info. Are you sure of either the 68 OR the Charger part? I'm just trying to narrow it down. This may come in handy when I start looking for a car for my son.

I'm almost positive it was listed as a 68' Charger- B body SB mount - I just found it by the parts book had pages with illustrations so I looked at the stock Duster one and found the one that was the same style but thicker. Also I also think I that I used the left hand truck mount on the right side, but it might vary depending on engine/k-frame. I just attached the trans to the cross member and worked forward. :thumblef:

I got a swap kit from Trans Dapt for half the cost of Schumaker. Wish I'd had your info I'd probably saved more. Thanks for the tip.

Well if those don't beat all! The slant 6 in the 67 Valiant has trans problems and I have a spare 318 waiting to go in so I have been planning to start the swap soon. I read somewhere else about doing the swap this way and I already have the truck mounts, cleaned and ready to go in.
I have several from a 80s Ramcharger and a 86 Ram truck, I have the thin biscuit and our local Mopar swap meet is this weekend, so I'll be able to find the other style biscuit.
My worry doing this has been the trans crossmember. I am using a 904 and the mount should be the same as the 904 from the slant6 Right?
If the trans mount is in the same place then the driveshaft lenght should work too.
I know ,I know, the brakes should be up graded and the 7 1/4 axle won't last long ,but this was a basic transportation daily driver up to Christmas. I don't plan on beating on it(I have a 72 Charger for that), I just want to try the swap out.

You should be ok with the tranny mount. And as long as you take it easy the 7 1/4 should last a while- My Factory 318 74' Swinger came with one stock- it lasted for a while- until I upgraded my power level!

We did the swap and put the 318 in today. The truck mount idea works perfectly, except I can't find the thicker 68 318 rubber isolator mount. Are you sure that's the right one?
With the thinner mount ,my exhaust manifold hits the steering column. I can see where the 1/2" would straighten the motor and give me the clearance for the manifold.

Has anybody used the "TransDaprt" kit to do this swap?
What does it require?

I used them to swap a 360 into my Valiant and everything fit great except the bolts were to short, so I used the original's. Just got it running this week so I don't know how they'll hold up yet.

Soooo, is this a complete kit from TransDapt or do you need rubber mounts to finish it up. Ealy sandwhich or newer '73/'73 type spool units?

Sorry left that part out. They came with sandwich rubber mounts. I don't imagine they'd hold up to a lot of horsepower but he me they'll work okay.

Thanks Val'72. I'm not a huge fan of the sandwhich mounts. I seem to rip them apart (Used to at least) on my Cuda all the time. Wreck a fan shroud on me twice. Grrrrr.

ok I finally got some time to look in the parts book and get some part numbers. They are Pioneer part numbers so you'll have tofinda dealer or cros them. The first one (thin one) is 602266 and the thick one is 602265, hope this helps! :thumblef:

Thanks for the part #s. I will find the right one eventually, but in the mean time I just made a couple 1/4 in. shims to get the motor level, now the trouble is the exhaust manifolds wouldn't fit (magnum style) , so I bought a set of F body headers and they don't fit very well either.
I'll keep looking for the parts for this Valiant. I scored a 8 3/4 3:23 posi rear axle for it last week at a pick-a-part for $81. Super deal ,when you see 8 3/4s going for $400 and up.

i just found this.....what are the updates????? Does this last??? if it is the same thing as the Schus......id rather save the money

I have a pair of early a-body (64-66) 273 mounts and I'm thinking the right side one (it's rather tall) will work well on the right side of a V8 on a slant 6 k-frame in my '69 Valiant. Anyone try this? It's probably just like the truck mount you're talking about, but I haven't seen the truck mounts.

Valiant72 said:
I got a swap kit from Trans Dapt for half the cost of Schumaker. Wish I'd had your info I'd probably saved more. Thanks for the tip.

I have the same kit. It has one thin a-body sandwich mount and one thick mount. I know the rubber isnt going to last long on my car so I replaced the thing driverside with a Moroso steal mount.

Like stated above the bolts that come with the kit are to short so I needed to reuse the old bolts. Also it didnt come with any nuts to hold the mounts to the K frame .

I'll take some pictures later and post them. I havent installed the motor yet.

Here are the ones from Trans Dapt...and yes the bolts were too short.

Passenger side:

36003.jpg

Driver side:

36002.jpg

That passenger side mount looks just like an early a-body mount, with a piece welded on for a 340. (that's how you make an early mount take a 340, you weld a piece on. Here's a photo, passenger side mount is the larger one at the top of the photo.

493.jpg

496.jpg

Here's a photo of some truck (71-78) mounts from ebay. They all the look the same eh? The Transdapt kit, the early a-body mount and the truck mount...they're all the frickin' same height it would appear!

I'll have to measure a spare set of early A-body mounts I have so it can be compared to the transdapt ones.

24_1.jpg

These truck mounts that I bought arrived today, I'm going to try them tonight probably.

Well we didn't get around to putting the motor in, but I did measure the truck mounts. They are just a hair over 4" high. With the thick biscuit it's about 5". Does that sound right? I'm talking about using this on the right(passenger) side. Is that how high a Schumacher or Transdapt mount is?

My early (64-66) 273 mount is less than that so I don't think it will work.

Today we put the 360 into the '69 Deviant. See this thread for more info on the car -> http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=156095#post156095

We ended up with the right side(passenger side) truck mount on the right side of the motor and what I believe is a regular a-body 318 mount on the left side(drivers side). Thin biscuit on the right, thick biscuit on the left. We had the left truck mount on the right side at one point but it wouldn't line up and we had to make some room for the stock '79 360 (Newport) exhaust manifold because it wanted to hit the steering column. so we switched it to back to the right side mount.

Both mounts are mounted on the front of the motor mount ears, unlike original design. So all in all it may not look 100% correct but the transmission is sitting where it should be, the distibutor is not hitting the firewall, the drivers side exhaust is not hitting the steering column and the motor is sitting pretty flat and even looking.

mounts_01.jpg

mounts_02.jpg

mounts_03.jpg

mounts_04.jpg

-
Back