ebay 71 340 Duster in PA 5K with 1 day left and no bids

-
$4900 and no bids? Drive over with the trailer and cash.

In my opinion, it is missing too many parts for the money.
The good is a decent looking body, with a "H" in the vin and a fender tag.

I have most of the parts to put it together, including the correct year engine, but too many projects already, and it is close to me.

If it is not banged up, IF someone could do al their body/paint work, IF you had a 340 and a reasonable machine shop, a set of good bucket cores, and all the missing small parts, If it could be bought for somewhat less, real world is maybe it cold be built and not have too much in it?? unless you haul it 2000 mi to BJ next year!! Anyone see any nice H code Dusters go there other day??
BJ... where stupid money sees stupid people?? ha

It’s a piece of **** shell that’s gonna take 50k to restore and still not be numbers matching and maybe worth 28k when done. I see a $800 Car. :)

Last edited:
i don't need another car but I'm surprised no one is all over that.

Seriously? It's a total POS at best with no engine or transmission and the inner fenders hacked to hell and back. Yall need to raise your standards.

It’s a piece of **** shel that’s gonna take 50k to restore and still not be numbers matching and maybe worth 28k when done. I see a $800 Car. :)

Now we're talkin. Preach it brother Joseph. You mightta given it too much credit. LOL

Seriously? It's a total POS at best with no engine or transmission and the inner fenders hacked to hell and back. Yall need to raise your standards.
Too busy to read the ad through. I just opened the ad and looked at some of the photos. The f'ing print is too small to read on my phone. Damn phone made me look like a dumb *** again!:mob:

Too busy to read the ad through. I just opened the ad and looked at some of the photos. The f'ing print is too small to read on my phone. Damn phone made me look like a dumb *** again!:mob:

At least in your case you have an excuse. I do not. LOL

Man I hope no one buys it for that price. I mean, I get it, it's an original EV2 H code, but without the matching engine and transmission that doesn't mean nearly as much. You'll never get full H code money out of it without the matching drivetrain.

And after that it's a ton of work. Fenders are 73+, so non-matching. And rough, not that it matters because you still need '71 fenders. Right rear quarter needs to be replaced because of a hack job partial replacement. Inner fenders need to be replaced. Front floor pans need to be replaced. Left quarter has big issues in the dog leg. I mean it's totally not the worst I've seen, and it's getting tougher to find cars that don't need some kind of metal repair especially in the floors, but there's a lot going on with this one. I've seen people do a lot more to fix cars that aren't "anything special" as far as codes go, so at least this one's an H code, but $4,900 seems pretty steep.

I dunno about $800, but I can't see it going for more than half of what he's asking. If you found a date code correct 340 drivetrain it would still probably go for more than most numbers matching 318 cars, has some good options and it's hemi orange. If it had it's original drivetrain it would probably get some bids.

The basic decode
VS29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H1B: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

282546: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color
L4X9: Trim - Low, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Black
5X8: Unknown Int. Door Frames
201: Build Date: February 01
199965: Order number

EV2: Hemi Orange Top Color
U: USA Specifications
A88: Interior Decor Group
B51: Power Brakes
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
M21: Roof drip rail moldings

N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V24: Performance Hood Treatment w/CID
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black

EN2: End of Sales Codes

Man I hope no one buys it for that price. I mean, I get it, it's an original EV2 H code, but without the matching engine and transmission that doesn't mean nearly as much. You'll never get full H code money out of it without the matching drivetrain.

And after that it's a ton of work. Fenders are 73+, so non-matching. And rough, not that it matters because you still need '71 fenders. Right rear quarter needs to be replaced because of a hack job partial replacement. Inner fenders need to be replaced. Front floor pans need to be replaced. Left quarter has big issues in the dog leg. I mean it's totally not the worst I've seen, and it's getting tougher to find cars that don't need some kind of metal repair especially in the floors, but there's a lot going on with this one. I've seen people do a lot more to fix cars that aren't "anything special" as far as codes go, so at least this one's an H code, but $4,900 seems pretty steep.

I dunno about $800, but I can't see it going for more than half of what he's asking. If you found a date code correct 340 drivetrain it would still probably go for more than most numbers matching 318 cars, has some good options and it's hemi orange. If it had it's original drivetrain it would probably get some bids.

The basic decode
VS29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H1B: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

282546: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color
L4X9: Trim - Low, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Black
5X8: Unknown Int. Door Frames
201: Build Date: February 01
199965: Order number

EV2: Hemi Orange Top Color
U: USA Specifications
A88: Interior Decor Group
B51: Power Brakes
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
M21: Roof drip rail moldings

N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V24: Performance Hood Treatment w/CID
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black

EN2: End of Sales Codes

Needs a lot of work and will never be a numbers matching car. It would have to be a labor of love that you never intend to get your money back on. One somewhat rare thing is it's coded V5X. That is the side impact strips that it got instead of the 340 side stripes. It would be a cool car restored.

Holy F*#@in S#*T !!!!!!!! What a rotted, hacked, rigged, and dilapidated piece of GARBAGE!! Gee, I sure hope those are stainless sheetmetal screws holding on that qtr. !!
:realcrazy: I don't give a s#*t what "codes" that thing is, that thing would be a labor of love only for somebody, not that there's anything wrong w/that. But I think an offer of $1K
would be generous to say the least...................................

I would never pay more for that car than 50% of what it’s worth in parts.

And that isn’t much.

Has has been mentioned, it's a overpriced pos..... some fool might actually be stupid enough to buy it though

Man you guys are harsh!

I mean, she's no peach for sure, and definitely not worth the asking price considering the condition and the missing drivetrain that you'd need to get better money for it. But that's still a very fixable car. My Challenger probably has at least twice as much metal to replace. Maybe more, and structural stuff to boot! It's not anything special and I'm doing all the work myself, frame rails and quarters and all. Gonna be some rough sledding when all the rust free grandma cars dry up for the A-body owners if this is how you react to a car that basically needs quarters and floor pans. Sheesh.

It's funny all these comments come out about making your money back, while at the same time we're three pages into a thread where everyone says they don't care what their car is worth. :realcrazy:

I guess it depends on whether you want "that 340 VIN". There's a ?Swinger? 340 just showed up on CL for a lot more

Not many V24 cars out there. The V5X is a value killer compared to a side stripe.

Man you guys are harsh!

I mean, she's no peach for sure, and definitely not worth the asking price considering the condition and the missing drivetrain that you'd need to get better money for it. But that's still a very fixable car. My Challenger probably has at least twice as much metal to replace. Maybe more, and structural stuff to boot! It's not anything special and I'm doing all the work myself, frame rails and quarters and all. Gonna be some rough sledding when all the rust free grandma cars dry up for the A-body owners if this is how you react to a car that basically needs quarters and floor pans. Sheesh.

It's funny all these comments come out about making your money back, while at the same time we're three pages into a thread where everyone says they don't care what their car is worth. :realcrazy:
LOL!! The missing drivetrain never even crosses My mind looking at that disaster, and I looked at every pic and close-up too. Just doing a proper repair of the cowl is 3 days
worth of work easy, unless You wanna booger it w/a MIG, grind the s#*t flat & call it done. There are /6 Dusters out there clean as a whistle struggling to get anywhere near
that price, clean, unbent and in running condition! WTF? Again, if One wants to pick up the Mantle for the "I just have to save it!" cause, more power to them. But the asking
price is obscene, based on what? A couple of build codes that mean 340 & HEMI Orange? The paint costs the same no matter what code is stamped on the tag, so why else
would someone tackle this train-wreck other than the premise that it's "worth" more because of it?

Would you be underwater with restoring this car, Sure.

The V24 puts it in another world as far as Dusters are concerned and value. They are the unicorn of Dusters. It's akin to comparing a Swinger to a 340 Swinger. This is the step from a V24 and non v24 340 Dusters.

The car is a mess, no doubt and I would never pay the amount asked for it due to the missing parts and metal work required.

-
Back