Ebay...Slant Six Turbo Setup.

-
OOOOOHHHHHHHH Hell yeah!!!
I wonder what the bidding will end at even with the $126.00 (at least to my area)for shipping.

not for sure, but it would prolly wind up being cheaper to build a turbo kit your self....looks like only special piece u'd need was the 4bbl intake manifold....and theres a guy on here selling one... with all the room under the hood that we have....**** itd be easy as cake...

try putting a turbo on a monte carlo z34....absolutely no room under the hood(u have to drop the motor/tranny/subframe just to change the alternator)....uve got a task on ur hands now.....ill let u guys know how it turns out...

It is pretty cool. But i'm wondering about how hot the damn thing gets. There's no intercooler, but then again it's pretty much a straight shot from the carb to the turbo. So it may not need an intercooler. Sorry i'm just thinking out loud. I've heard of turbo sixes running 11's or better. I wonder how fast that one is?

Don't waste your money. I have owned late '70s and early '80s turbo Regals and although they had descent power compared to other cars of the era they only ran high 16's in the 1/4 on a good day. This thing won't embarrass a 318 like the guy says.

If you guys want to build your own setup using the turbo Regal turbo you don't need the 4 bbl intake. The outlet on the trubo is the same basic size as the stock 1 bbl /6 intake so just use that.

Chuck

Might be the angle of the picture or just my wonky eyes, but looks like it is hood cutting time to clear it. Very interesting set up though.

Cheers

Don't waste your money. I have owned late '70s and early '80s turbo Regals and although they had descent power compared to other cars of the era they only ran high 16's in the 1/4 on a good day. This thing won't embarrass a 318 like the guy says.

If you guys want to build your own setup using the turbo Regal turbo you don't need the 4 bbl intake. The outlet on the trubo is the same basic size as the stock 1 bbl /6 intake so just use that.

Chuck

wouldnt u need the fuel flow of the 4 bbl ??

If you used a 4 bbl intake on the motor you would have to reduce it to fit the single hole on the turbo so it is of no advantage. Just use a single hole intake, this is all that the Buick intake had. You still would want to use a 4 bbl on the inlet side of the turbo. The Buick unit has the carb base bolted direct to the turbo. It is actually a spreadbore pattern so you have to use an adapter to put on a squarebore carb. There were some 2 bbl turbo cars in '78 only but most people ordered the 4 bbl option. Don't get me wrong it is a pretty good setup because it is simple. When I said don't waste your money I meant that that unit on ebay was a little pricey. The Buick turbo is an all self contained unit including the carb base & wastegate so it makes it an easy thing to bolt on. If you make the pressure side of the turbo to large it will be harder for it to pressure up which will cause lag. The smaller you make the intake path on the pressure side the faster the pressure will come in. Remember the fuel/air charge moves under pressure so it moves much more easily than the engine trying to draw it in.

Chuck

Save your time and money folks. As you will read in the listing, this is a "draw-through" design. This type of set-up is out dated and simply put quite dangerous. The most common way to boost a carb motor is a "blow-through" design. Simply put, in a draw through set-up, the carb sits BEFORE the turbo and the gas/air mixture is actually drawn through the turbo, then into the motor. Think about it... raw gas being sucked through the turbine. This is a smelly, explosive, obsolete method. The blow through method is what is used on all OEM Turbo equipt vehicles. With this type of system, the turbo sits BEFORE the carb, therefore the only thing going through the turbine is compressed air. Both set-up's will work, but one is far safer, far cleaner and simply better. Additionally, an intercooler can not be used on a draw through set-up. I am currently in the process of boosting my 225 powered Duster. My set-up is a blow through, intercooled version... will keep you posted=)

There is nothing unsafe about draw thru designs. Whether it is draw thru or blow thru the air/fuel mixture is still pressurized in the intake.

Chuck

The fuel air mixture passes thru the compressor tubine and there is the bearing assembly between the compressor turbine and the exhaust turbine that is lubed and cooled with pressurized engine oil.

Some of the killer nitrous setups shoot the nitrous and fuel at the compressor turbine impeller to help "spool" it up.

The main problem with draw thru type systems is you can't intercool them effectively. If you put an intercooler on a draw thru system the fuel/air mixture has to far to travel to get to the engine, therefore it doesn't respond well, horrible turbo lag.

A stock /6 six manifold has a better chance of heat transfering to the fuel mixture being the exhaust manifold is bolted directly to the intake manifold.

Chuck

ive never seen a draw thru type setup up close, which dosent matter cuz i'd never go that way.... plus i've only every worked on FI turbo setups, not carbed. im building a custom kit for my z34 (u cant buy a kit anyway). and hopefuly ill have enough $$ to intercool it...

I have read on the slantsix.org that there are pros and cons with the draw thru design. If you are interested you should go to the site and talk to some of the guys there, they are very knowledgeable and willing to help you out! Look for posts by Doug Dutra or Slantzilla, there are many other guys that know there stuff but these guys seem to be in the know!

Here is a pic of what I want to do to my 68 cuda...
BlownSlantsix.jpg

BlownSlantsix.jpg

BlownSlantsix.jpg

The only problem you run into with a draw through is if you try to intercool it. The intercooler will collect fuel and can go up like a bomb. The turbo itself will not ignite fuel.

Peformance wise the draw through Buick setup is a piece of crap, no matter what intake you use.

I watched a buddy chase his tail around in circles trying to make a Buick setup work. It would build boost up until around 3500 RPM and then go flat. He used the Q-Jet that came with the setup too. When he did finally get it where it would rev and boost at the same time, I drove past him with my N/A car.

Turbo is a great way to make power, but it is a lot more involved than bolting on a bunch of junkyard parts to make it work properly.

thats awesome, but i like the looks of the supercharger pic better looks more clean:) but the turbo idea is still really cool, i know charlie_S turbo'd his six ran 16's i believe

I have to disagree on the draw thru setup. Turbos themselves do get hot. Think about it. The turbine side is bolted to the exhaust side. I had a factory turbo car (sure it was an Eclipse) and I can assure you they get hot. And on the subject of intercoolers; while you don't need them at 6psi or under, it always helps. Even with an intercooler, the intake temp is around 200 or so so I would run one. Another thing, keep the intercooler size in consideration. A bigger one will keep the pressurized air cooler, but will increase lag and some pressure will be lost

My turbo is a draw thru. Built it in 1979. ran 13.39 at 104 mph as a street driver, in a 65 Valiant.
Actually both blow thru and draw thru have advantages and disadvantages.
As for draw thru being obsolete, it is not any more obsolete then a carbed blow thru. All OEM Turbo engines since the late 80's have been injected.
Another point, that was brought up in this thread, which is very correct. Do not intercool a draw thru system. The intercooler will contain "Pressurized air and fuel". It is very prone to explode if an intake "backfire" should occur. Without an intercooler, it is no more dangerous then a blow thru system.
One other thing, There are not many turbos that will work with a draw thru system. They require special seals in the bearing assy. A draw thru turbo will "see" intake vacumm, at closed throttle, and suck oil, from the bearing assy, and push it into the intake manifold, without this type of seal. A blow thru, will never "see" intake vacumm, so there is no need for this type of seal. As far as I know 99 percent of the turbos available today do not have the correct seal for a draw thru system, since they are designed for injection, and never see vacumm

Interesting reading !!!!But I think I like the Bling factor of a Paxton stlye Super Charger instead !!!:headbang:

-
Back