economic 318 aftermarket heads

-

dodgethis12

Reaction score
So after my bent pushrod, bent valve experience- the machine shop says that the old gas had caused the valves to stick.. bad enough that the pushrods folded when the piston hit the valves...

Long story short the mahcine shop (napa) says 350-500 to redo the valves, seals, and that if I want to drive this very much may need hardened seats and valve guides

I just cant justify spending 500 on a set of 318 2bbl heads.... I know thats cheap in the grand scheme of things but... I was planning to upgrade later on, so I dont really want to drop that much in this thing right now.

Is there any company that offers heads re-furbed or new for less? It would be really nice to have a set of heads that I could later use on a 360 swap if I wanted to, but that wont kill the compression of my lowly stock 318.

Any ideas....?

I think Indy still sells Aerohead refurbished factory J heads for around $500. The next step up from that would be RHS for about $1,300.

i say his machinist is full of it... old gas made a valve stick, please.... if you bent a pushrod then there is no way the valve was stuck on its own. your timing chain is likely bad (slipped a tooth or 3) or you revved the heck out of it and floated them... get a t-chain, a p-rod, and a valve and go back to driving it till you can buy what you want.

wasnt there a company that was making new magnum style heads in the LA configuration? They were magnum heads but used the LA style intake bolt pattern and pushrods....???

Aerohead has 318 heads for 399 a pair. Why are the 340-360 heads 100 more when they have the same valves and chamber volume?

Will I lose power by using those? What is the advantage if the vol. and valve size is the same....??

I thought 360 heads were significantly larger vol. than 318 heads.... so are the 318 heads that aero lists really a 360 head?

Sorry for all the questions

wasnt there a company that was making new magnum style heads in the LA configuration? They were magnum heads but used the LA style intake bolt pattern and pushrods....???

Aerohead has 318 heads for 399 a pair. Why are the 340-360 heads 100 more when they have the same valves and chamber volume?

Will I lose power by using those? What is the advantage if the vol. and valve size is the same....??

I thought 360 heads were significantly larger vol. than 318 heads.... so are the 318 heads that aero lists really a 360 head?

Sorry for all the questions

You will gain power with any aftermarket head for the LA or magnum because they come with a smaller chamber now usually and better flow.

On the magnum engine, the 318 and 360 head are the same thing.

The RHS head is the same thing be it magnum or la with the exception of the rocker gear and oiling of the same.

I can't speak for a lot of the earlier stuff because I just dont have much experience with it. mayube someone will have insight on that. My experience mainly comes from the more modern magnum.

i have a set of heads that are supposed to have only around 10000 miles on them. little surface rust need cleaning abit.got them with some parts in a package deal if your interested i could get you the numbers and some pics. id let em go cheap make an offer im in North Carolina. send me a message

Hers what I would do. Go scare up a set of 302 casting heads,hand lap the valves and slap new seals in it. Throw them on and drive it,might last 20 or 30 thousand miles. Cheap compression boost and Im sure you can find a set here or in the wreckers cheap.

Good question on why the 360 heads are more.Lord knows theres lots of them floating around. Maybe email and ask? I'd love to here thier explanation..

Probably higher demand.

what years were the 302 heads? Dont i have to use roller style stuff on them?

No,roller cam was in the block but it used shaft rocker etc and will bolt right on. 85-92 would be the years. Mostly came in Diplomats and the like.

so I need to find an 85-92 318? Not all 318's in these years had 302 heads?

Not all 318's from that era had 302 heads, there were a couple of models.

Also, LA 318 heads have smaller valves, smaller chambers, and smaller ports than LA 360 heads. Just swapping on an LA 360 head will drop compression on a 318, which is already low. LA 318 heads are usually 57-62cc's, 360's can be 65 all the way up to 72cc's. The 302's would be a good choice if you can find a set. Chambers are usually around 62cc's so there's usually no change in compression, possibly a small drop if you go from the smallest 318 chamber to the largest 302 chamber. Plus they'll have hardened seats already.

I'd mention the Magnum,but it's generally a more expensive head to bolt on because there are some specific parts needed beyond what a 302 head would need.

and yes...rotten gas will cause those problems....been there...

What stae are you in, I have a set of 302's collecting dust. Bare & breasy I beileve.

They can be had reasonable.I sold a set here complete,blasted heads,rockers, polished shafts for $200.

There's an outfit on Ebay that sells rebuilt 302 heads pretty reasonable.

Just do a search for 318 302 heads. One of them doesn't have a core charge either.

As an alternative, you could go with the Iron Ram heads from Hughes, but you'd need Magnum pushrods, rockers, etc.

Steve

Hey, I'm selling a pair of 302's, never on a motor since they were gone thru.....$350/both. Still in the plastic wrap from the machine shop. (I know....shameless plug for my stuff)

P1002109.jpg

old gas cant bend a valve or a pushrod any more than new gas can make them straight again....

rotten gas that turns to varnish...will gum up the valve and the valve will not be able to open...bending the pushrods...

and went the valve hangs open...guess what..the piston hits it....as I said before...been there with an old motor home that was parked for years...

Hey, I'm selling a pair of 302's, never on a motor since they were gone thru.....$350/both. Still in the plastic wrap from the machine shop. (I know....shameless plug for my stuff)

Thats a good deal there.

I have a set of clean, bare 302 heads along with a single 318 head (cheap) that's been done over already and can bolt on right away. If any of this can help let me know.

Ken
Edison, NJ

-
Back