Eddelbrock Intake Install

-

Moparhead64

Reaction score
I have a 360 going together for a 69 Dart Swinger and the instructions say to use special intake gaskets and silicone on the front and rear ends. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO USE SILICONE!!!

so dont, use the intake set supplied cork gaskets trimmed to fit or use "The Right Stuff"
Right-Stuff-group.jpg

problem is the cork gasket is usually too fat to line up the bolt holes so you have to sand it down or its too thin to effectively seal. Silicone is so yesterday.....

I use the cork gaskets front and back,but still use silicone in the corners to gauranty no leaks.JMO

If the ends are cork, I use a thin layer of Copper Coat on each side and a small bead of Permatex black RTV at the ends where it meets the side gaskets. If they're rubber, nothing but the bead of RTV on the ends. If the side gaskets are metal, I use coppercoat on them also.....if they're Teflon, I don't use anything on them.

throw the cork or rubber end seals as far as you can...use a nice bead of silicone and a thin layer around the water ports...jmo

Once you use sillycone, there is no chemical made to remove the residue. Right stuff is pretty good;Edelbrock machining sucks.

Once you use sillycone, there is no chemical made to remove the residue. Right stuff is pretty good;Edelbrock machining sucks.

Huh?
If you have a problem with aluminum intakes,
Chrysler made 4bbl cast iron ones, you can use the cork gaskets with. ;)

Sandpaper and brake clean worked to clean that slicone crud up ok,
for me in the past.

The LD4B intake i have on my 318 was well made,
but that intake was cast in 1967. 8)

I have no clue for the quality control on the newer ones.
:icescrea:

i use the cork gaskets front and back,but still use silicone in the corners to guaranty no leaks.jmo
This is the correct way and by far the best sealf or most. But on some motors where you are dealing with a resurfaced head or block you may be better with sealer of choice i use ultra black . There might not be enough room for the ends . Set the intake on with just the side gaskets dry and measure the space in the front and back if you can use the cork gaskets use them. Do not use the gray rubber they turn to goo after a while . I have seen this tearing many motors down over the years.

The cork absorbs oil and leaks after time. Then it cooks and dries out and starts flakin off. The rubber end seals get brittle like hard plastic over time and do the same thing. Silicone will be there when your great grandson takes that intake off and still be sealin just like it's designed to do.

Well thanks for the input guys ! Eddelbrock wanted me to buy their gaskets because of there machining or foundry technics. The side gaskets were like the old 273 head gaskets (metal) and thin cork type gaskets I m guessing and to put the KILLER on the deal the ports 273 - 318 size. To answer someones question why not sillicone to put a long story short my 1st car had the intakeand thermostat replaced (not me) and my car ran very hot..... found out that someone put too much and pumped sillicone through EVERYTHING including the radiator. I kept pulling long strands of that ssssssstuff for days I swore off silicone FOR EVER! I just used a cast iron 360 intake until I can get an airgap and hope I don t run into the same problems! THANKS ALL.

Bad news I have an AIR GAP i BOUGHT NEW, FITS LIKE CRAP.

Well thanks for the input guys ! Eddelbrock wanted me to buy their gaskets because of there machining or foundry technics. The side gaskets were like the old 273 head gaskets (metal) and thin cork type gaskets I m guessing and to put the KILLER on the deal the ports 273 - 318 size. To answer someones question why not sillicone to put a long story short my 1st car had the intakeand thermostat replaced (not me) and my car ran very hot..... found out that someone put too much and pumped sillicone through EVERYTHING including the radiator. I kept pulling long strands of that ssssssstuff for days I swore off silicone FOR EVER! I just used a cast iron 360 intake until I can get an airgap and hope I don t run into the same problems! THANKS ALL.

Yeah Eddelbrock needs to do something possitive with their negative....I think they just want to make people buy their gaskets as well. I forgot how my brother and I put his air gap on probably doubled the side gaskets and forced the end rails on!

-
Back