Edelbrock 1406 Question

-
Post #20. If that is showing the screws all the way in, then there IS a problem. The screw tips should be poking into the t/bore & may not be able to adjust idle mixture as it is now.
Two possibilities:
- the alum plug in the body under the screws is too long, stopping the screws.
- the screw thread inside the body finishes too soon, bottoming out the screws.

Post #20. If that is showing the screws all the way in, then there IS a problem. The screw tips should be poking into the t/bore & may not be able to adjust idle mixture as it is now.
Two possibilities:
- the alum plug in the body under the screws is too long, stopping the screws.
- the screw thread inside the body finishes too soon, bottoming out the screws.

I'm not sure what to think at this point, there are no obstructions. I think i will just need to put it on the car and see if it will tune.

How long are yours. Here is one I just took out of a core About 1 1/2” under the head to tip.

image.jpg

There is most likely corrosion in both threads. More in one than the other .
If you had a tap that size you could clean out the threads .

Take the body to a machine shop and have them run a tap thruough the holes. Just keep an eye on the orifice in the throttle bore.

Ok here is the latest, just put the carb on the car and got it running. One minor problem I found is a vacuum leak, I’m hoping someone with 1406 can send me a picture or tell me what’s missing. I know there would normally be an electric choke here, but what would occupy the other holes?

IMG_0831.jpg
IMG_0832.jpg

Yep ^^^
That is the vacuum port for the choke pull off. Without the electric choke there is a factory step plug to plug it.

I just rebuilt a 1406 that was missing the chock and never noticed that port .

1406 .... it was on the shelf and I had some free time so I rebuilt it. I would have figured it out once I tried to use it .
Oh ok you haven’t tried it yet. I misunderstood and thought you tried it and didn’t suck, vacuum that is.

Oh ok you haven’t tried it yet. I misunderstood and thought you tried it and didn’t suck, vacuum that is.

Well I had no more 98 jets left so I stuck some 95s in it so it would have sucked anyways .
Which reminds me ... order some more 98 jets ...lol

-
Back