Edelbrock 1406 whistling

-
Fix it right. Put a Thermoquad on it. That's what the intake is made for anyway.

Except I've blown my wad on this damn 1406...which only has a 90-day warranty when new, mind you....so I've gotta use what I got. :)

Rob

Steve...is this the one?

carbspacer.jpg

Rob
Yes they make thinner ones if you don't have hood clearance. Make sure it is solid on both sides some of those are hollow on one side and leak when using them for your application. I didn't have time to go through mine , I came into eat and going back out. Because that looks Cadium plated I beleive it may be hollow . The good ones are anodizes or machined. Let me look and see if I have one I will deffinately get back later. Steve

Here is what I have. I suggest the one in the last pic . It would be the 4th from the left in the first pics. It is thinner and machined from 6061 aluminum will not distort , gaskets included use felpro 1901 on top for carb the other for intake to plate. $12.00 shipped any where in the US. Let me know Steve

Attachments

• agas1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 566
  • agas2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 563
  • agas3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 561
  • agas4.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 583
Never use gasket sealant of any kind on the carburator. That is a deffinate no no . If you can't seal it with a gasket only, you have problems . You should check your surface for straightness

Steve...I've got a Mr. Gasket version of that same adapter plate....will it work?

Rob

This is the adapter plate you want....It's an Edelbrock part, made for just that application...

Attachments

• AdapterPlate.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 588
This is the adapter plate you want....It's an Edelbrock part, made for just that application...

Hell, that's the one I just told Steve I have....I thought it was Mr. Gasket brand, but it looks like that one...

Rob

I just replaced the same carb you are speaking about (1406). My problem was it just poured gas out the small vent like areas on each side on top. It did it not on one but two of them. It got costly on gas when it started this going down the road and when I got where I was going it was flooded so bad the air filter was soaked with gas so bad you could pour it out on the ground. I changed to a Holley and everything seems good so far, I still have my fingers crossed. good luck with your problem and thanks to StrokerScamp for the headsup on using water and not something flammable. I never gave it a thought and now feel very lucky. Steve

I bought a car from a kid who complained that the carb "whistled". I discovered that he was using a square bore Holley on a spread bore manifold without the right adapter. I installed the right adapter and the whistling stopped.

Sweet. I'll put it on tomorrow, and let you guys know what happens. :thumblef:

Rob

Ede 2176 (Manifold) + Ede 1406 (Carb) + Ede 9266 (Carb Gasket/Insulator).

This is the gasket/spacer I run on my cars. It is a Ede part, designed for Ede carbs.
Cools the carb nicely, and gives the right amount of hood clearance.

Well, I put the Edelbrock 2732 plate on, and the Em-Effer still whsitles like a preacher outside a whorehouse....I'm about to blow my freakin' top with this gosh-damn carburetor.

I torqued the hell out of the stud nuts, and it STILL sucks air around the base plate. The only thing I didn't replace with an Edelbrock part was the carb-to-plate gasket; I used a cheapo Mr. Gasket fiber gasket...I'm wondering is this is my weak spot...I just can't believe the mating surfaces would just suddenly 'go bad', especially after the darn thing ran fine for almost a year before this crap started...

Ede 2176 (Manifold) + Ede 1406 (Carb) + Ede 9266 (Carb Gasket/Insulator).

Looks like the Edelbrock 9266 might be my next try....

Rob

I believe the plate you used is alluminum. It is soft . You need to use a 6061 machined .250 thick plate and black felpro gaskets. also are you sure you didn't spit a lead plug out of the base of the carb. or a rubber plug off of a vacuum tube. Take the gasket the you are using between the carb and the plate and hold it to the bottom of the carb. Make sure it covers all of the carbs diameter. Now take the second gasket the goes between the plate and the intake and set it on the intake . Make sure it covers the intake opening, Now those gaskets should be the same as the plate that goes between the two gaskets. If all these things match and the plate is not a thin soft alluminum peice, it should seal. I have an actual adapter second in from the right in bottom row. You Pay the shipping Steve

Well, I put the Edelbrock 2732 plate on, and the Em-Effer still whsitles like a preacher outside a whorehouse....I'm about to blow my freakin' top with this gosh-damn carburetor.

I torqued the hell out of the stud nuts, and it STILL sucks air around the base plate. The only thing I didn't replace with an Edelbrock part was the carb-to-plate gasket; I used a cheapo Mr. Gasket fiber gasket...I'm wondering is this is my weak spot...I just can't believe the mating surfaces would just suddenly 'go bad', especially after the darn thing ran fine for almost a year before this crap started...

Looks like the Edelbrock 9266 might be my next try....

Rob

No disrespect, but why are you using a adapter plate ?
Your carb is made for your intake !
Give the 9266 a try.
No other gaskets necessary.
This will seal your carb to the intake. If you still have whistling, its somewhere in the carb. In that case talk to Edelbrock. In fact send them your video.

Let me ask you guys this, then...will a dirt in an Edelbrock cause it to whistle?

The reason I ask, is because today, I chanced to stroll around behind the car while it was running, and the smell of rich gasoline hit me in the face like a brick wall. The right exhaust sounded like it was missing a bit severely, also. Since I never go behind the car, I don't know if this just started happening, or has been doing this all along.

I know the 1406 on my 302 Falcon has had dirt in it before, and ran like crap, until I popped the top off and blew out the jets and passages. Just wondering if this could be the issue....

Rob

No disrespect, but why are you using a adapter plate ?
Your carb is made for your intake !
Give the 9266 a try.
No other gaskets necessary.
This will seal your carb to the intake. If you still have whistling, its somewhere in the carb. In that case talk to Edelbrock. In fact send them your video.
He is bolting a square bore carb onto a spread bore intake.

And no dirt will not cause a vacuum leak. It is missing on the one bank because it is sucking air. More than likly your metering rods are wide open because of the vacuum leak. You really need to take a closer look at your carb flange and intake flange, set the carb on the intake without gaskets and start the bolts to not run them down , pick up slightly on the carb and put the corner of a piece of paper under the intake in the center of the bolts, only the tip of the paper, do not shove the paper under from bolt to bolt Only the least bit between the bolts. While holding slight dow pressure on the carb see if you can pull the paper out. Do this between all bolts. this will tell you if there is a straight sealing surface between the two.. Did you use two gaskets with the spacer plate. Take a picture of what you put on under the carb gasket and plate. I would have to see at this point. this isn't that hard to correct a leak between the carb and intake. I wish I was closer I would come over and bring what you need with me. Show me the plate and gaskets before you post anything else. Steve

Steve...it's dark here now, but I'll take a photo tomorrow afternoon and post it on the thread, so you can see what I've got.

Rob

Steve...it's dark here now, but I'll take a photo tomorrow afternoon and post it on the thread, so you can see what I've got.
Rob
Ok I have all kinds of plates and gaskets you can have what you need all I would want is if you can send me the cost of the shipping back. Steve

Ok I have all kinds of plates and gaskets you can have what you need all I would want is if you can send me the cost of the shipping back. Steve

I don't have any problem with doing that, Steve...I'd just like to figure out which one I need, so I cans solve this problem! :D

Rob

-
Back