Edelbrock 800cfm AVS2

-

Jeff Seighman

aka jeffnmo
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have an Edelbrock 800cfm AVS2 that is running rich, I was going to buy the calibration kit for it, but they are months out, will jets and metering rods from other Edelbrock carbs work. Thank You for any help.
Jeff

In a pinch you can also solder the jets closed and redrill them to your preferred size- you just have to be careful soldering Eddy/Carter jets so it doesn't interfere with the metering rods, they're not as forgiving as Holley jets. Rods can also be reduced somewhat by hand sanding if necessary. Did it "back in the day" before Strip Kits were widely available. Not the ideal solution, but could get you by until the kits are available again.

i bought one of those as well and noticed the same thing. I did buy the calibration kit with the carb. However I leaned it out one step with metering rods that are available with the 750 kit. I used the edlebrock chart for that carb as my reference on what jets and rods work best . I also had to change to the black step up spring or it was a rich starting bastard when cold.

I’ve got a AVS2 650 on my 340 and noticed it was really rich too.

I leaned it down 1 level.

I think all these carbs are calibrated rich out of the box.

Last edited:
The exhaust doesn't burn my eyes at idle, I'm going to try 2 or 3 sizes smaller in the secondaries first and see how that does.

I know Edel talks about 5-6 psi, but these carbs will take double, 10 psi without flooding. The original Carter info specified 7.5-8.5 psi for performance use.
If the FP is different to 5-6 psi, then the float level should be adjusted accordingly [ larger dimension for higher FP ]. Carter published a chart for this FP/FL. FL should be checked regardless.

Hey everyone, I have an Edelbrock 800cfm AVS2 that is running rich, I was going to buy the calibration kit for it, but they are months out, will jets and metering rods from other Edelbrock carbs work. Thank You for any help.
Jeff
Jeff Seighman,

Just wondering if you’ve worked out the richness issues with your 800 CFM AVS2?

What engine are you running that carb on?

No, My back has been messing with me bad lately so I put the 650 performer back on till I feel good enough to mess with the 800 AVS2. I also cleared my inbox.

It's a stock bottom end 340 with IMM Indy X heads, Performer RPM airgap, Lunati 703 hydraulic cam, Doug's headers and MSD ignition. Besides the 800 AVS2 I'm wanting to go with a larger solid cam. It's in a 1970 Dart and runs good but I know it could be better!

Yeaaaaaa JEFF!!!!

Hope your back heals quick and good. I know the back pain issue. I hate when I twist it up. Kicks my arse for far to long.

Thanks a lot. Yeah even though I got a pain stimulator in my back I've been doing to much around here lately and it can't keep up, time to take a break!!

Thanks a lot. Yeah even though I got a pain stimulator in my back I've been doing to much around here lately and it can't keep up, time to take a break!!
Jeff, you ever work out your 800 avs issue? I am thinking of buying one but am curious how it's working out for you.

I just worked on a stock 650 AVS2 for the first time last weekend. It was on a very mild ZZ4 Chevy in my neighbor's Nomad. Man that sucker was rich at idle! Which I understand. Rich is safe from the manufacturer's perspective, but holy cow my eyes were watering.

Advancing the initial timing a few degress helped clean it up a bit. Thankfully my neighbors bought the metering rod/spring kit. After checking the fuel pressure and messing around with the rods, I got the plugs burning clean. It just took me a few hours to get familiar with it.

-
Back