Edelbrock Crankcase Ventilation Hose Connection to PCV breather

-
The only negative thing about using a vented valve cover breather not attached to the air cleaner is that over time, you'll get an oily residue on the valve cover from the little bit of normal blowby even a healthy engine has. And that won't hurt a thing it will just make a mess after a while. Why are you bucking the system and not just wanting to put it back stock?

Add on filter to the stock one until I get the motivation to pop out the hole in the air breather.

upload_2020-5-8_9-6-25.jpeg

The only negative thing about using a vented valve cover breather not attached to the air cleaner is that over time, you'll get an oily residue on the valve cover from the little bit of normal blowby even a healthy engine has. And that won't hurt a thing it will just make a mess after a while. Why are you bucking the system and not just wanting to put it back stock?

I’m trying to put it back to stock but trying to avoid throwing the bank at the problem. I’m a believer in the PCV system but I’d like to see if I can find a way to do it using my existing valve covers, which I’m trying to do.

Next week I’m going to install a PCV valve in the left side where the knock out is and put a oil cap that fits and seals where the breather Is now (on the left side). I’ll move the breather to the right side. If that works Then problem solved. Otherwise I’m shopping for valve covers.

Thanks for all of your input. The diagram you posted helped simplify a system that is frequently misunderstood.

I’m trying to put it back to stock but trying to avoid throwing the bank at the problem. I’m a believer in the PCV system but I’d like to see if I can find a way to do it using my existing valve covers, which I’m trying to do.

Next week I’m going to install a PCV valve in the left side where the knock out is and put a oil cap that fits and seals where the breather Is now (on the left side). I’ll move the breather to the right side. If that works Then problem solved. Otherwise I’m shopping for valve covers.

Thanks for all of your input. The diagram you posted helped simplify a system that is frequently misunderstood.

Another question if possible.

I’m unsure of this, but can I drive the grommet for the PCV valve into the hole for the breather (see attached picture). I’ve been under the impression that the grommet wouldn’t cover the surface area left by the slots for the tangs. If the PCV grommet could be driven into the present hole without any air leaks then my problem is solved.
56BE9218-B5F0-4061-8819-21D91C07ACFE.jpeg

I would use that hole for a twist on oil cap, or twist on breather. To install the pcv valve you want a round hole for the grommet. What does the other valve cover look like ?
A full pic of each valve cover sure would help.

I’m unsure of this, but can I drive the grommet for the PCV valve into the hole for the breather (see attached picture). I’ve been under the impression that the grommet wouldn’t cover the surface area left by the slots for the tangs. If the PCV grommet could be driven into the present hole without any air leaks then my problem is solved.View attachment 1715524122
No, a grommet will not seal to that shape hole. That hole is for a twist-in oil cap, or twist-in breather.

your valve covers will work. a Mopar or similar screw in breather like post 22 for cover in post 31, if you want to get fancy run a hose to air filter. PCV valve on other side with a hose to carb

I would use that hole for a twist on oil cap, or twist on breather. To install the pcv valve you want a round hole for the grommet. What does the other valve cover look like ?
A full pic of each valve cover sure would help.

The Anson valve covers are symmetric as are the heads. This is the issue I’ve been trying to work around. (Another great argument for stock valve covers) if I can get a oil cap that seals then I can use the rear punch out for the PCV.

I’m trying not to throw the bank at the project and use what I have....

image.jpg
image.jpg

a large outside diameter pcv grommet like the factory mopar unit may cover the slots. You can also skip the pcv and run the 2 breathers

I’ve read this entire thread and I’m stumped. What’s the issue? You want to run a PCV valve with those valve covers? As pointed out many times, you need to use the correct breather that fits the notched hole in the valve over. On the other side, machine a hole for a common PCV valve diameter and grommet and stuff the PCV valve in there and be done.

I’m not sure how that breaks any but the most minuscule of piggy banks.

Seems like you are stuck mentally masturbating this thing to death. One side gets a breather, the other a common PCV valve. I’d suggest an ME Wagner PCV valve, but that for sure will kill said piggy bank.

The OE’s used a hose from the air cleaner to the breather so the PCV system was pulling in clean, filtered air into the crankcase. And that system will stay much cleaner much longer.

That said, you just need a breather on one side and the PCV valve on the other.

I’m unsure of this, but can I drive the grommet for the PCV valve into the hole for the breather (see attached picture). I’ve been under the impression that the grommet wouldn’t cover the surface area left by the slots for the tangs. If the PCV grommet could be driven into the present hole without any air leaks then my problem is solved.View attachment 1715524122
I did an engine bay for a mate and used a cap from a ford that had the bayonet style and the pcv in it aswell, I'll get back with a photo.

the hose to the air cleaner is for : A - when vacuum is high the pcv valve is open and will draw filtered air in, B when vacuum is low and pcv valve is closed blowby will get drawn into the air flowing into the carb

To save the bank, just run 2 twist on breathers.
Maybe snaz it up with a couple new ones.

s-l300.jpg

Sorry all the pics of that engine was before i added the pcv cap, so i stole an image off the net, it's from a ford 250 crossflow engine.

20200509_010837.jpg

I would suggest a proper fuel line and fuel filter while we are at it. Both can be had inexpensively, and are much safer.

218154907820844769_DDE6707.jpg

33270.jpg

I’ve read this entire thread and I’m stumped. What’s the issue? You want to run a PCV valve with those valve covers? As pointed out many times, you need to use the correct breather that fits the notched hole in the valve over. On the other side, machine a hole for a common PCV valve diameter and grommet and stuff the PCV valve in there and be done.

I’m not sure how that breaks any but the most minuscule of piggy banks.

Seems like you are stuck mentally masturbating this thing to death. One side gets a breather, the other a common PCV valve. I’d suggest an ME Wagner PCV valve, but that for sure will kill said piggy bank.

The OE’s used a hose from the air cleaner to the breather so the PCV system was pulling in clean, filtered air into the crankcase. And that system will stay much cleaner much longer.

That said, you just need a breather on one side and the PCV valve on the other.

I don't get it either. Another guy overthinking the simplest of problems. You or I would have had a complete PVC system on there and already be driving down the road for less than 20 bucks. People just slam won't listen and you know what? It's not my fault. I'm stickin a fork in this one.

There's generic and other (non mopar) breathers, caps and PCV arangements out there. There's several that will use the 'twist lock' hole like that and take a PCV valve. IIRC look at F*rd, as well a Mr Gasket and Stant catalogs.

I don't get it either. Another guy overthinking the simplest of problems. You or I would have had a complete PVC system on there and already be driving down the road for less than 20 bucks. People just slam won't listen and you know what? It's not my fault. I'm stickin a fork in this one.

Let us remember that some don't have as much experience as others. Patience Grasshopper Patience.

Let us remember that some don't have as much experience as others. Patience Grasshopper Patience.

Oh I agree, but here we are telling him how to do it........well I was anyway. lol

Buy a screw in breather and drill it out for a pcv valve grommit , I did !
You can buy a screw in set up on ebay too, but he`s asking too much money for them , thats why I made my own----------
you wont need an oil fill cap at all w/ screw in breathers or the pcv set up .

Hey Trailbeast, I like your idea with the brass elbow, what breather cap with the barb on it, did you use ?

-
Back