Edelbrock Experts I need your thoughts

-
I have a spreadsheet that will calculate the % change from one jet/rod combo to another.

Send me your email and I'll shoot a copy to you.

With a .095 and .047 power, the WOT AFR should not be moving like that. It should show the same as the power metering is not different.

Last edited:
Just curious if this setup is using vacuum advance and if so does the problem stay the same with it disconnected......

I have a spreadsheet that will calculate the % change from one jet/rod combo to another.

Send me your email and I'll shoot a copy to you.

With a .095 and .047 power, the WOT AFR should not be moving like that. It should show the same as the power metering is not different.

Thanks Rob, Conversation coming.

I hear you about the movement on the WOT. That confused me as well. Im looking forward to see the chart.

Yep, I have that link saved as well and I printed the charts so that I have a hard copy while in the garage.

Just curious if this setup is using vacuum advance and if so does the problem stay the same with it disconnected......

Yes, the vacuum advance is hooked up, but I have not tried to disconnect it yet. Im curious but I dont think it will make any sort of difference. Although it doesnt hurt to try it.

Im going back to my stock settings since those seemed to be the best. I've just got to work on the lean bog when I punch it. Moving the accelerator pump arm to the richest location helped, but its not fully gone. I also would like to try to fix the slight lean issue when I accelerate.

Two things: First I want to say that the spreadsheet from Rob is extremely helpful in figuring out what percentage change different jet and rod combos are going to give you. (Thanks again, Rob!!!!)
Second, yes I too have really struggled to lessen that leaning out on light throttle. I have that tendency with both with my 1407 750 and also the 650 AVS. Experiment with the springs… I think that's where you'll find the solution to that.
Also (third thing) I have experimented with swapping the primary and secondary size jets (on the 750) and found it helped me keep my idle and cruise A/F ratio reasonably lean (it was overly rich to start with) and still give me the same effective WOT area which the 340 wants or I lose performance.

Raimie, if the stock settings work ok did you try bigger accelerator pump nozzles and the pump with the different spring yet? Fishing in the pond! Really interested in this one. Hey can I get a copy of that program to check out also?

FWIW..... if you are interested in economy, then the AFR going into the 15-16 range under light to moderate cruise conditions is fine. (As long as we are not talking about a bog condition....) Keep in mind that under these power conditions, which are well below WOT and max power conditions, the total mixture being combusted is small, and the heat subsequently being generated is low, and thus any danger to the engine is low to none. Keep an eye on engine temps (or better yet, exhaust temps) and if the engine temp stays steady, things are good.

I know everyone wants AFR to stay right at 14.7, but it is not necessary under lighter loads conditions. Just like ignition advances of 50+ degrees under light loads is normal and OK; you would not ever want to do that under max load or WOT, but under light loads, it is fine.

Lean Burn systems would run the AFR's into the 17 and 18 range as a matter of normal operation.

I would expect the AFR meter to be reasonably accurate under cruise RPM conditions and throttle openings. But AFR meters are not always totally reflective of what the real mixture is. In low RPM operation and barely open throttle (light cruise at low speeds) with a moderate cam, the AFR may read falsely rich due to exhaust reversion into the intake. And when cold, and without complete fuel burning, the AFR meter will read falsely lean. So you have to be a bit careful in using the data from an AFR meter; it is all in the nature of them actually being excess O2 sensors, not true AFR meter.

This is a very helpful post, especially for anyone fairly new to A/F meters. It's taken me a while to realize that it's far more important to pay attention to steady cruise and WOT numbers than the transition numbers.

So what's a good wideband AFR system to get that works well and won't break the bank?

We're using the Innovate MTX-L. It comes as a kit with everything and about a 8' cable with a sensor with a 2' pigtail, so you have plenty of length. Can be had for $200 or even less for the kit. (I saw $178 at one place.) Hook up power and the sensor and go. It also has leads to connect outputs for logging to a computer if you want, but you don't have to use that part.

The sensor is a standard wideband Bosch 02 sensor. if you root around on the i-net, you can find the replacement Bosch PN with the right connector at most box stores for a lot less than Innovate wants for a replacement.

i also have the MTX-L, very easy to use and no problems so far.
...just move it to another vehicle when things are set up...or a
friends' vehicle.
...it's a tool and doesn't have to be permanent.

I have the AEM unit that also comes with everything, Bosch O2 sensor, weld-in bung, etc. Seems like a really nice unit, and I've had no problems with it.

So....what do you do with one that has dual exhaust? Use 2 O2 sensors?

Stock main jets are .098 and 75/47 Rods. Which is 23/51 (Im getting this by subtracting the metering rod sizes from the jet size). Which is the actual orifice opening either at cruise or power. Correct?

I went to .092 and 68/42. Which is 24/50

Well it's the open area size you must calculate:
.098 and 75/47 gives you an open area of 31/58
.092 and 68/42 is a bit leaner and gives you an open area of 30/52 (actually 52.6)
Anyway thats theory and the AFR-meter and driveability gives you the thruth (at least almost, nm9stheham explained it very well).

So....what do you do with one that has dual exhaust? Use 2 O2 sensors?
There are dual sensor kits that can power both and display both... for about 2x the price. Otherwise monitor one side, and make an assumption on how much the 2 sides may differ; I assume a difference of + or - 1/2 of an AFR point, based on reading a few examples of dual sensor readings on similar V8 engines. Even if you have dual sensors, you're still making an assumption that the 4 cylinders in each bank are not too far off from each other, but we all know that there are cylinder-to-cylinder mixture variations in any engine that vary with RPM and throttle loading, and yet we AFR tune to a whole set of 4. Plug reading is the back up to that IMHO.
YMMV....

another option is to install a bung on the other bank and move the 02 sensor to check
it at some point.It's unlikely to vary much.
I think they read 5 gasses 400 times a second or something and and can be used to record,monitor or even flash a new curves in modern computer controlled vehicles.
..for our old school carburetors they will just monitor your air / fuel ratios

I think you mean that they will register AFR for 5 different types of fuel....?

doesn't the wideband o2 sensor analyze 5 gasses?
...carbon monoxide,hydrocarbons,carbon dioxide,oxygen and nitrous oxides to calculate the unburnt fuel ratio.
i have found big cams tough to clean the idle on.That lumpy idle so many like is unburnt fuel popping and burning in the exhaust pipes.

-
Back