Edelbrock LD4B with 340 size ports????

-

Reaction score
I have read some were that Edelbrock made some LD4B intakes with 340 size ports. Has any one ever run across one? Was told they were made before the LD340 came out. Kind of like a stop gap. Sure would like to find one for my next build if they do exist.

Let me know. I checked mine before I put it on my new engine and they were only 1.955 X 1.05
And not much meet left at the bottom to open it up.

Curious, what would the advantage be of using an LD4B with 340 sized ports over just using either an LD340 or something else similar like an Air Gap or somesuch? Is it just to have a "rare" part on the car or something? I just picked up an LD4B a few days ago, but would have to look at the port sizes. I bought it just assuming it had the smaller ports (it's for a 318 I have) without even paying any attention to them.

Simple,
I am trying to build a period correct 1965 Dart race car. Therefore I would like to run an intake that could have been produced in 65 or 66. The engine I just built for it has an LD4B on it right now.

Curious, what would the advantage be of using an LD4B with 340 sized ports over just using either an LD340 or something else similar like an Air Gap or somesuch? Is it just to have a "rare" part on the car or something? I just picked up an LD4B a few days ago, but would have to look at the port sizes. I bought it just assuming it had the smaller ports (it's for a 318 I have) without even paying any attention to them.

Simple,
I am trying to build a period correct 1965 Dart race car. Therefore I would like to run an intake that could have been produced in 65 or 66. The engine I just built for it has an LD4B on it right now.

Yeah, cool, that thought occurred to me as well, some period-correct part. I didn't realize LD4B's have been around that long. I'll have to take a better look at mine, see if it's small or large ports.

If you are running the 273 you'll want the Edelbrock LD4B. That manifold has the smaller runners for the 273 heads. If you are running the 318 with the taller runners such as with the J-head you want the LD340. LD340s came out in late 67 for the newly produced 340 engines. LD4B came out in mid 65 for the Commando 273. Later LD4Bs (mid 66) have the Chrysler part numbers cast into the manifold as it was offered as an over the counter part by Chrysler.

It's always better for the ports in the manifold to be smaller than the ports in the head than the other way around. Otherwise, there is a lip/wall that can disrupt the flow. The smaller/milder the engine, the more it would favor smaller manifold ports anyway.

I believe that the early Edelbrock intake for the 273's with the different manifold bolt angles was designated
D4B.

I won't run a LD340, as like you said it did not come out till 67 or so. To late for my car. If I can find one of the LD4B's with the bigger ports I can remove the "B" and not one will be the wiser. Running a LD4B on my 318 with 273 heads right now.

If you are running the 273 you'll want the Edelbrock LD4B. That manifold has the smaller runners for the 273 heads. If you are running the 318 with the taller runners such as with the J-head you want the LD340. LD340s came out in late 67 for the newly produced 340 engines. LD4B came out in mid 65 for the Commando 273. Later LD4Bs (mid 66) have the Chrysler part numbers cast into the manifold as it was offered as an over the counter part by Chrysler.

I could be wrong, but the think the D4B was the two 4bbl intake, and the LD4 was the single for the old bolt angle.

I have been contemplating a Weiand Stealth, as they look identical to the LD4B. They have the extra meat around the bottom of the port so you can open them up. And I could just fill in the "Weiand" and "Stealth" and not many people would be able to tell the deference. Cut out the center divider and I would be good to go. But I am in no hurry. I may just keep my eye out for one of the big port LD4B's.

I wonder when Offenhauser cam out with there first SB mopar intake?????
It's always better for the ports in the manifold to be smaller than the ports in the head than the other way around. Otherwise, there is a lip/wall that can disrupt the flow. The smaller/milder the engine, the more it would favor smaller manifold ports anyway.

I believe that the early Edelbrock intake for the 273's with the different manifold bolt angles was designated
D4B.

Ha,
Good to know. I wonder what the deference is between the D4B and the LD4, as the LD4 also had the early bolt pattern, then came the LD4B with the currant pattern. I wonder what a D4B looks like?

I popped my ld4b off my engine today, It in fact does have the 360/340 ports!:cheers:

I could take pictures if someone does not believe me.:thumleft:

I do believe you, but any chance you could take a pic? I would like to see what it looks like compared to mine. And if you are able could you measure the ports? I would like to know how they compare. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumleft:

I popped my ld4b off my engine today, It in fact does have the 360/340 ports!:cheers:

I could take pictures if someone does not believe me.:thumleft:

The port size on the intake (The one I had) was large. Port matching should not be a problem.

The D4B looks JUST like the LD4B, but it is for the early 273. Just grind the L off and you're there. lol

Yea,
I forgot to grind it off on the engine I just put in my car. The next one I will remember! I hope LOL

D4B is the 64-65 single four barrel. D64 is the 64-65 dual four. LD4B is 66 and newer 273-318 single four barrel. The D66 is dual fours for 66 and newer. LD340 is for 1968 and newer 340/360

Just measured the ports on mine and they averaged 1.95" x 1.05". It must be a later casting since it has the Mopar part number cast in it.

Attachments

• IMG_9034.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 5,135
That is what my ports averaged on the one I am running now (1.955 X 1.05 and carb hight 4.335 front and 5.45 rear). Bigger than the average 318 but still not 340 size. I held a 340 Fellpro gasket over the ports and if I were to open it up to the 340 size it would be what I would conceder dangerously thin on the bottom. I would be afraid it would leak. Most 340 intakes have that little step down along the bottom that gives a bigger sealing surface, the LD4B dose not have this. Still hoping that some of them were bigger.

-
Back