Edelbrock mt-5 for 318

-
Wow! What is your set up as far as cam, compression, and what octane? What rpm is that much timing all in at? Are you running EGR? My present 10:1 zero deck 318 begins with 675 boat anchors tries to get seriously hot in a short time at anything over 50 degrees total cruise timing, but I do have an intake gasket vacuum leak that I have yet to deal with.
Stock 318 in my Ramcharger except for dual exhaust and converted from lean burn to HEI ignition

This^^^
It had taken me some time to figure this out on my 87 Ramcharger. The 302's definately like less initial timing than motors w/o them. My beast likes 6* initial, 36* mechanical and total of 58* all in with vacuum advance.

Interesting you mention that. With a few degrees of cam advance my 273 likes 8° initial and not much more. Those closed chambers are pretty efficient.[/QUOTE]

okay, sounds reasonable, especially if running the stock lean burn carb and EGR. It still surprises me how well a lowly 318 with just a little work will yank one of those tanks around. Being of mountainous upbringing, I have played/worked on/rodded more trucks than anything. The full list goes '76 Warlock, 318 727, 3.21 originally E58 360 (still wish I had that one!), a friends '72 W-200 360-727 divorce drive 205 4.10 Dana powerwagon (the engine and transmission that got away), 73 D-100 2wd /6 NP435 3.55 8-1/4 Papaw special, (the only God knew the actual mileage before i put 70,000 plus miles more on it truck), '71 D-100, 318, 89 Ram W-150, 3.9, NP-435 4 speed, HD suspension 3.55 gears, front locker, 33X12.50 general M/T's (The actual top of the heap, most capable off road, most enjoyable driver, most unbreakable, I miss more than any other truck!) aforementioned 1985 Ramcharger with 727, 3.21 gears and 31x10.50 tires (also a brute off road!).
My last was a short wheelbase regular cab '02 Dakota Sport, HD suspension, 4.7 Magnum, Hurst shifter on an NV3500 5 speed, 3.55 geared 4X4, 17X9 steel wheels, Hankook 245-40 Z17s, Homemade 4 inch duct cold air intake and completely obscene 3-1/2 inch right side exit resonator exhaust with the large cat removed. What I referred to as the Race Kart Truck, it seemed better suited to our two lane mountain roads than anything else... the vehicle that stayed in my rear view mirrors the longest on my favorite mountain roads was a mid 90's Corvette. When speeds got on the high side of eighty miles an hour through the canyon straights, I didn't have too many tailgaters!

holley street dominators work pretty well on a 318's, and are reasonable. They have 318 ports.
Weiand Action Plus works really well on 318's also. In stock form or mildly built.
Hello isnt the Street Dominator a single plane ??

is this intake a waste for a 318? Can get it for $100. Also is it 318 port size or the larger 340/360? Mods include msd ignition and dual exhaust wanna do a four barrel swap and 4.11’s.
$100 for a GOOD
TM5 is a deal get it or pass it on to another forum member they are getting a little hard to find to say the least .

Hello isnt the Street Dominator a single plane ??
yep. But don't get confused by that. Normally, a single plane is thought of as "upper rpm" and not ideal on a mild/stock small block on the street.
Holley SD defy that principle. this is why they are called "street dominator"

yep. But don't get confused by that. Normally, a single plane is thought of as "upper rpm" and not ideal on a mild/stock small block on the street.
Holley SD defy that principle. this is why they are called "street dominator"
Ten 4
Sorry had the street Dominator mixed up with the
Edelbrock ( Street Master ) intake I wonder what the difference is ??

Ten 4
Eddy street master is the competitor to the holley SD. same principle

Ten 4
I have seen an Edelbrock 318 Streetmaster intake
And then the street Dominator I guess they are different ?

The street Dominator is basically a 273 HiPo manifold cast in aluminum, they had a small plenum and small runners to keep Port velocity high. The street master on the other hand has a choked down tiny plenum and runners and runs out of pull around 4000 rpm. I wouldn’t use one of them for anything. An Offenhauser Dual Port is another design that works really well down low(up to about 5000 rpm) and they are relatively inexpensive.

How much would u need for one of those boat anchors I need a 4 V for my 318 motor in my Military ambulance .

The street Dominator is basically a 273 HiPo manifold cast in aluminum, they had a small plenum and small runners to keep Port velocity high. The street master on the other hand has a choked down tiny plenum and runners and runs out of pull around 4000 rpm. I wouldn’t use one of them for anything. An Offenhauser Dual Port is another design that works really well down low(up to about 5000 rpm) and they are relatively inexpensive.
Thank you
Im installing a rv/towing camshaft and headers and a 4V carb next month in the truck
I need max torque and low rpm operation for my needs thank you Chris .

Replying to post #25: "Wow! What is your set up as far as cam, compression, and what octane? What rpm is that much timing all in at? Are you running EGR? My present 10:1 zero deck 318 begins with 675 boat anchors tries to get seriously hot in a short time at anything over 50 degrees total cruise timing, but I do have an intake gasket vacuum leak that I have yet to deal with."

I'd expect it be hotter than average regardless.... the higher CR means significantly higher combustion chamber temps.

My last was a short wheelbase regular cab '02 Dakota Sport, HD suspension, 4.7 Magnum, Hurst shifter on an NV3500 5 speed, 3.55 geared 4X4, 17X9 steel wheels, Hankook 245-40 Z17s, Homemade 4 inch duct cold air intake and completely obscene 3-1/2 inch right side exit resonator exhaust with the large cat removed. What I referred to as the Race Kart Truck, it seemed better suited to our two lane mountain roads than anything else... the vehicle that stayed in my rear view mirrors the longest on my favorite mountain roads was a mid 90's Corvette. When speeds got on the high side of eighty miles an hour through the canyon straights, I didn't have too many tailgaters!
So I gotta ask Garrett.... where? I grew up in Salem and am originally from Carter County TN...

Can the streetmaster be opened up a bit to flow better? I am getting one as a freebie.

More of an issue of plenum volume than the runners, I guess a person could change the plenum design with a heli-arc machine and time but it would be much simpler to get the street dominator, unless you just "like" doing that type of thing.

Nooe not interested in reinventing the wheel. Going on a stockish 318 for a kids first car. Prob good enough for thrills.

Great intake for up to 4,000 rpm, the 1 inch spacer and matching is a good move if you have the hood clearance. Be a very good intake on a mild stock 318!

-
Back