Edelbrock RPM head owners unite!

-

IQ52

Reaction score
Don't let the world think we have to give up anything to the Trick Flow 240 community. Fight for your right for horsepower from your RPM heads and let the world know you've got a great head too!

Here is a 93 octane 451ci stroker with RPM heads that made 723HP on Comp Cams dyno in 2009.

And though you cannot race dynos, it has made over 30 dyno pulls, on 91 octane, between 740 and 787 HP.

mopp_1008_17_o+2009_amsoil_mopar_muscle_engine_challenge+laroy_engines.jpg

P.S. I really do like the Trick Flow heads very much.

Last edited:
Crazy power, have you guys ported the trick flows yet?

So andyf has a 470 pump gas engine with trick flows, I think I saw he's getting 720hp out of it now. Youve made 780 with less cubes and arguably worse heads also on pump gas and 7 years ago. What are the key differences between these engines? Obivously differnce cam specs, compression, etc. Not saying anyone's is better just like to see a comparision.

Andy is a damn good engine builder. We were running another point of compression more. I'm pretty sure ours is a bigger cam. His Trick Flow heads were OOTB and our RPMs were ported. I think Dwayne Porter is designing his cams and I'm designing ours. Wilson is porting his manifolds and we are doing our own work. He has got a timing belt and crank trigger. We have a timing chain and distributor. We used 1/2 set 440 Source and 1/2 set Harland Sharp rocker arms and he's got some different ones (T&D?). Heck, I'm even using some of his AREngineering parts on my engine!

I would think its all relative to what your building? A smaller motor like my low deck 426 responded well to the RPM heads being a 220 cc runner. more like a sbc head. lol made 525 hp and 552 tq very usable drivable motor with good street manors. I know trick flow makes killer heads for Fords, not real convinced about the mopar stuff yet.

:thumbsup:

I've never been personally disappointed with Edelbrock products, and if not for them, aluminum BBM heads would probably still be a Brodix/Indy game...cheers to them.

Being that the Edelbrock heads are ported, how are there flow numbers next to the OOTB Trick Flows?

This will probably not satisfy anyone but here is how I'm going to compare them. 1st column will be an OOTB Edelbrock RPM + or - the cfm flow value compared to an OOTB 240cc Trick Flow. 2nd column will be + or - with a ported RPM with the original 2.14/1.81 valves and lastly will be a RPM with 2.25/1.78 valves like we did on the last RPM heads we did.

Lift..........OOTB 2.14/1.81......ported 2.14/1.81.......ported 2.25/1.78
.100................-4/-3........................+2/+5.......................-1/+1
.200................-5/-26......................+5/-10......................+8/-8
.300..............-16/-33.......................-2/-16......................-1/-15
.400..............-31/-35.......................-9/-4.......................+1/-12
.500..............-62/-37.....................-27/+3.......................-8/-8
.600..............-60/-39.....................-22/-2........................-3/-3
.700..............-53/-38.....................-12/+3....................+10/+11

The 3rd column is a better flowing head than we had when we made 787 HP.

How does the price compare for the fully ported Edelbrock heads vs. the OOTB Trick Flows? When I looked at it the Trick Flow heads were roughly $500 to $1000 cheaper a pair than buying the Edelbrock heads and sending them out for porting. But I didn't do a ton of price shopping, just compared some numbers I had. The last set of Edelbrock heads which I used cost me $3500 by the time I had them ported and had roller cam springs installed. The Trick Flow heads are $2000 out of the box and come with a pretty good solid roller spring.

Heck yeah, the RPMs ported are a heavy dollar load if you don't already own them. I wouldn't want to buy new RPMs and have them ported. Better to go Trick Flow if you don't have heads already. With the Trick Flows available, the only time it would make $ sense is if you wanted to keep the RPMs that you already own. Otherwise sell your RPMs and apply the money to buying Trick Flows. Making RPMs flow with the OOTB Trick Flows is going to take the better part of the cost of Trick Flows.

Notice the thread title says "owners", not "buyers".

You get a deal, I'd have to pay $2,200 for those with the solid roller springs.

Last edited:
The TF heads have been out a year now which seems like enough time for Edelbrock to respond with a CNC ported version of their RPM head. Edelbrock has the capability of doing that since they sell CNC ported heads for other applications. Edelbrock does seem to move pretty slowly on the Mopar stuff though so maybe we just need to give them more time.

I'm hoping TF introduces a high port version of their head. They left enough material in the head to move the ports up a bunch. A high port version that was still standard port size would really scream. My engine would probably pick up another 40 or 50 hp if the ports were moved up and the valve angle rolled over a few degrees. It would still be a "bolt on head" since stock intake manifolds would fit and it would make some killer power.

The TF heads have been out a year now which seems like enough time for Edelbrock to respond with a CNC ported version of their RPM head. Edelbrock has the capability of doing that since they sell CNC ported heads for other applications. Edelbrock does seem to move pretty slowly on the Mopar stuff though so maybe we just need to give them more time.

I'm hoping TF introduces a high port version of their head. They left enough material in the head to move the ports up a bunch. A high port version that was still standard port size would really scream. My engine would probably pick up another 40 or 50 hp if the ports were moved up and the valve angle rolled over a few degrees. It would still be a "bolt on head" since stock intake manifolds would fit and it would make some killer power.
I completely agree. I've even been on the phone with Edelbrock telling them about the core shaft (shift, but I think shaft is more appropriate) I'm having to deal with, oil holes drilled crooked and twice as big in diameter as needed, helicoils so tight I can't get bolts into them so I have to install new ones. 10 months ago they assured me they would get right back to me. Giving them time has been easy as I now have the Trick Flow heads to work with. I want to use some RPM and Victor heads but with their flaws they've been a struggle to work with.

I love reading about these aluminum heads when you fellas that work with them regularly post. Great of you to let us in on some of your experiences with them.
Seems trickflow has set the bar up a notch.
We got to hear about some of the problems you have been seeing with the edelbrocks that should be addressed.
Could you clue us in a bit if 440 source are trying to improve their quality on the stealths some lately or if they even need to? I haven't heard much about them much these days since the new TF heads became available.

Could you clue us in a bit if 440 source are trying to improve their quality on the stealths some lately or if they even need to? I haven't heard much about them much these days since the new TF heads became available.

I'd like to know about that too. I was favorably impressed with the Stealths flow sheets after your shop "preps" them for $600...

The Stealth head is a good enough head to do what it was designed to do, replace a stock iron head and make some additional horsepower. If you use them for that purpose they will work fine. But...........you still need to do what I outlined in this thread....... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/ootb-stealth-vs-prepped-stealth.358092/

It never was designed to be a race head but you can force it to go there. I have test ports in both the Stealth and RPM heads that flow 350 cfm intake and 300 cfm exhaust, with no epoxy or welding.

Unfortunately, the additional cost of cnc ported eddy heads will likely be fairly close to the cost of victor heads.

Unfortunately, the additional cost of cnc ported eddy heads will likely be fairly close to the cost of victor heads.

True, but if you look at OOTB Victors vs. a ported RPM you have to give the nod to the RPM head.

True, but if you look at OOTB Victors vs. a ported RPM you have to give the nod to the RPM head.
Which is true but strange. OOTB Edelbrocks stock replacement head (RPM) will equal or out flow their race head (Victor) to .500" lift. Put some work into the Victors and we've gone 900+ HP with the Victors.

Looks pretty close to the 346 castings you currently have on eBay.
Cody and I talked it over and we know we won't use those 346 heads we had on Pop's engine during the dyno testing. So we made some quality improvements to them and thought we would let someone else enjoy them. At the very least they shine bright and are Hemi Orange.
Mopar 346 452 906 915 440 cylinder heads

Someone asked if I could put hard exhaust seats in them now. I could but it would distort the intake seats and I'd have to do another complete valve job in the heads with the hard seats so it would add another $400 to the heads. Still a deal for an iron head of that quality. I once tried to sell them for what they are worth, no dice. Now I'm just going to sorta give them away. We have maybe 40-50 hours in these heads.

Last edited:
Too bad they're not closed chamber... for $1k I'd be seriously interested. That's some nice flow for old iron heads!

That's nothing Doc. We've got 906 heads that flow 295+ at .500" and 330+ @ .600".

That'd be a hoot with my current build (451 with a Mini-Express .654" mushroom cam). But don't the port walls get awfully thin in places? How do they hold up in the long run for cracking?
I think if I were going to spend that much on porting I'd start with a good aluminum head though ;)

That'd be a hoot with my current build (451 with a Mini-Express .654" mushroom cam). But don't the port walls get awfully thin in places? How do they hold up in the long run for cracking?
I think if I were going to spend that much on porting I'd start with a good aluminum head though ;)
It makes no sense at all to do that much work to factory iron heads unless class rules say you have to use an iron head or you just have to use an iron head for some personal satisfaction.

As to cracking, you gotta be smarter than your cylinder heads. We've used one pair of 906 heads flowing 340cfm on three different engines. Even when Comp Cams forgot to turn the water into our engine when it was on their dyno and the engine ran so hot the paint was burning off the cylinder heads, they didn't crack.

The 2011 AMSOIL/Mopar Muscle Engine Challenge, Part 2 - Mopar Muscle Magazine

I'm glad you quantified how much work was in those heads; it was kinda funny how I noticed them. I was thinkin to myself, "self, how far could about $1K go to prepping up a set of 452s I have for my 383 build from Jim?"...then I saw them in my eBay search for "440" in cylinder heads.

EDIT: And just for clarity sake, I don't misunderstand those heads to be only worth $1,000...nor could I receive that level of finishing for that money on iron heads.

-
Back